2017 Recruiting Thread

Hawk_Kegmasters

Saw Spice World in Theaters
Reaction score
You could have just said WKU hired his godfather so I didn't have to read the whole damn article.

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
It's amazing to me that Groce can still get top 50 recruits to Illinois.

Also, have the always listed Connor as a SF?

Berzerkenpas

Desperately Wants a Mod-Edited Tag Line
Reaction score
in that utoff/bullard mold

get some weight on him and he'll be a nice asset at the 4

Whatever

Loves Fayette
Reaction score
Minnesota had one of it's best Senior classes in a while with 6 kids in the top 165 of 247's rankings. Pitino offered all 6 of them and is going to get none of them as 5 have committed elsewhere and the other one is Gary Trent Jr and Minnesota did not make his top 5. He did get a commit from the #61 player but striking out in Minnesota is not going to help him keep his job after next year.

Geese

LOVES Chris Williams
Reaction score
He takes a shot to the nuts like a man. And has a vert like me.

Reaction score
If Wieskamp is a legit 6'6" then 6'10" isn't unreasonable for Garza.

Kamala

Isn't Sure About Gasser
Reaction score
God damn it with your stupid ass height arguments.

wondergrape

Has Bad Hair
Reaction score
It's always amusing when people think they can judge relative heights from a two-dimensional photograph.

You'd think we'd have reached height verdict consensus: we find out in Prime Time League. In fact, finding out how tall our newcomers really are has become the sole source of PTL intrigue.

Geese

LOVES Chris Williams
Reaction score
I was fucking joking. Last time I make height-tard joke.

Slidewilly

Independent centrist moderate
Reaction score
Corey Evans of HoopSeen has Iowa #19 in his top 20 2017 recruiting classes. I was surprised to see that he has ISU rated 16. I haven't seen them ranked that high, but they're in the running for a couple of other solid players so they could stay there. That staff knows where and how to find players down South.

http://www.hoopseen.com/news/special/201610/2017-hoopseen-top-20-class-rankings

Slidewilly

Reaction score
HawkeyeNation has an article up on Jeremiah Robinson-Earl, a 6'9 PF prospect from KC. Some may remember his father, Lester Earl. Iowa has built a relationship with him and he's rated #32 in the class (according to HN), but he already has a KU offer so it's probably a longshot.

They also have an item on another '19 player, Jordan Mitchell--a 6'7 SF from Ohio who has been offered by Iowa. He already has an Ohio State offer.

eclone

Former VEISHEA Exec Committee Member
Reaction score
Lester Earl. What a disappointing college basketball player.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
HawkeyeNation has an article up on Jeremiah Robinson-Earl, a 6'9 PF prospect from KC. Some may remember his father, Lester Earl. Iowa has built a relationship with him and he's rated #32 in the class (according to HN), but he already has a KU offer so it's probably a longshot.

They also have an item on another player, Jordan Mitchell--a 6'7 SF from Ohio who has been offered by Iowa. He already has an Ohio State offer.

You should start a 2019 recruiting thread with this sort of quality info.

Slidewilly

Reaction score

They also have an item on another player, Jordan Mitchell--a 6'7 SF from Ohio who has been offered by Iowa. He already has an Ohio State offer.

You should start a 2019 recruiting thread with this sort of quality info.
You got it, Princess.

BuffettHawk

Useless
Reaction score
I thought they didn't have a scholarship for Connor as of right now? Or are they allowed to over-sign in basketball?

hawkeyealum

Subscribes to Playboy for the articles
Reaction score
He's either waiting until one opens, walking on, or not joining.

I'm going with not joining

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
I really can't think of a reason that Connor would sign an NLI. he's clearly going to walk on.

Stomper15

Not A TOR Poster
Reaction score
Q. The fact that baseball is such an option for him now is it because of how much he’s evolved in high school? Because he committed to you as a freshman in basketball. And I know he liked baseball back then, but you didn’t really know what he was going to do.

FRAN MCCAFFERY: You know, it’s funny, because we struggled with whether or not he should make a decision at that time. Baseball has always been a factor. I just don’t think it was a factor to anybody else. He’s always been a really good baseball player, and I never wanted him to say, all right, I’m coming to Iowa to play basketball so therefore I’ll stop playing baseball. I don’t think that would be fair to him.

He really likes his teammates at Iowa City West. He likes his coaches. He’s trying to figure out do I need to pick or do I need to continue to play both. Can I play both? Is it feasible or am I going to suffer in each as I move forward, and that’s not an easy decision.

It’s not like anybody in this room or his parents can say, this is the right way to go. You talk to experts in the field and everybody will say it can be done. Just everybody will say it’s going to be hard and it’s going to be harder for a position player.

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
I will be surprised if Connor ever plays basketball for Iowa.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
Connor isn't going to have much of a learning curve in hoops. He's in the Gesell/woody mold of being a solid contributor if not a star from day one.

CurdMan

TurdMan DDS
Reaction score
I'm actually excited about the future of this program. Fran's work on the recruiting trail is going to pay off
Getting Cook and Garza (after being the first to offer both) was a great sign for the program. Fran couldn't have gotten those guys even two years ago. This is what happens when you can identify talent early AND have a good enough program to show recruits that they can win a lot and get to the league