2019 recruiting thread

Bob

Reaction score
Then and now:

I can't find any pictures showing how fucked up his jumper was. Still have nightmares about it, though.
It was like a chest pass into the basket. That it worked so well was infuriating

BBK

THE GRINGOOOOO
Reaction score
Covers up all that shit on his face.

KitKatApples

NW Season Ticket Holder (except IA games)
Reaction score
My beard does cover up the poop on my face however

Reaction score
DJ Carton, a PG out of Bettendorf, is starting to get a lot of buzz. Here's a scouting report from a few days ago:

D.J. Carton – 2019 – PG – Quad City Elite
A sleeper prospect in the 2019 class, Carton was very sound in a win over Chicago Select. A high-IQ, crafty floor general with burst and athleticism, Carton scored very efficiently for Quad City Elite in their win on Friday. Carton picks his spots very well and doesn’t play outside of himself, even when facing constant pressure in the backcourt. He was able to stay composed and make plays for himself and others despite being harassed up and down the floor. Carton has an intriguing game. He can blow by defenders with ease, but remain under control to hit pull-up jumpers or absorb contact at the rim. His team will also run sets to get him open triples off the ball. To ice the game, Carton came up with a couple of steals and coast-to-coast layups.

Link

BBK

THE GRINGOOOOO
Reaction score
DJ Carton, a PG out of Bettendorf, is starting to get a lot of buzz. Here's a scouting report from a few days ago:

A sleeper prospect in the 2019 class, Carton was very sound in a win over Chicago Select. A high-IQ, crafty floor general with burst and athleticism, Carton scored very efficiently for Quad City Elite in their win on Friday. Carton picks his spots very well and doesn’t play outside of himself, even when facing constant pressure in the backcourt. He was able to stay composed and make plays for himself and others despite being harassed up and down the floor. Carton has an intriguing game. He can blow by defenders with ease, but remain under control to hit pull-up jumpers or absorb contact at the rim. His team will also run sets to get him open triples off the ball. To ice the game, Carton came up with a couple of steals and coast-to-coast layups.

Link

Last edited:

hawkeyealum

Subscribes to Playboy for the articles
Reaction score
I think Horton is living in Springfield. Or course that doesn't mean much

rodg12

Might not need to GFH
Reaction score

Link
He was impressive when I saw him at the State Tournament. Best player on the floor in the Sioux City East-Bettendorf game I watched.

rodg12

Might not need to GFH
Reaction score
rodg,

What did you think of Aidan Vanderloo from East?
One game sample, but didn't find him impressive. He's a good shooter, but don't think he's elite. It was kind of an ugly game with a bunch of free throws from East.

That Van Rees kid was solid, but lacks any sort of size to play D1. I thought Young and Carton from Bettendorf were the best players on the floor. Suni Lane is one heck of an athlete as well. Great bounce and dunked with ease.

Funny side note from the game was Sioux City East fans with their status as one of the whitest places in America chanting 'Casper' at Michael Baer. LOL

hawkeyealum

Reaction score
one spot above the guy mentioned in post #1 of this thread, Tyger Campbell.

Nice hair Tyger. Maybe he should change his name to Lyon.

Last edited:

BBK

THE GRINGOOOOO
Reaction score
Ricky still not getting respect after all these years.

Reaction score
Carton continues to impress. This scouting report is from a national tournament:

"When you talk about all-around impact, Carton has emerged as the top player in the 16U question. Nobody affects the game as much as this rising sophomore. Even when Carton is not scoring, he locks his man down, gets work done on the glass, orchestrates the offense, and even blocks/alters shots. Carton has taken over offensively all weekend. He’s an aggressive attacker that can finish above the rim. Carton has an excellent pull-up jumper off the bounce and excels from mid-range. His 3-point shooting can be erratic, but he’ll consistently produce from beyond the arc. College coaches are falling in love with Carton after his performances and the offers are coming."

Link

Berzerkenpas

Desperately Wants a Mod-Edited Tag Line
Reaction score
from chane's link -- kid from williams' aau club, with iowa interest:

Donovan Moore – 2019 – G – Illinois Irish Elite
Moore picked up where he left off at the Swish N’ Dish and put together another big performance against the Reach Legends. A 6-foot-3 guard that can score and assist at a high rate, Moore plays stretches of dominant basketball. Moore was scoring from all three levels and never lets his foot off the gas pedal. One of the top stock boosters this spring, Moore is a relatively unknown prospect that’s been pushing for high major status and drawing looks as well. Moore handles the point guard duties, but can also be the primary scorer and play off the ball. A smooth guard with intriguing length and strength, Moore has a lot of wiggle with the ball in his hands and can make defenders look foolish at times.

Reaction score
Looking at the other teams listed in the scouting reports, it looks like this was a second tier events. The national elite programs weren't in this pool, but programs who regularly send players to P5 schools were.

rodg12

Might not need to GFH
Reaction score
Another offer out to a PG. From Ohio...

Stomper15

Not A TOR Poster
Reaction score
Another offer out to a PG. From Ohio...

https://www.hawkeyenation.com/basketball/iowa-offer-means-lot-19-oh-point-guard-jeremiah-francis

Fran McFaffery handed out a scholarship offer to Class of 2019 Columbus, Ohio point guard Jeremiah Francis on Monday. With it, the Iowa coach took on a challenge.

Francis, a Rivals 4-star ranked No. 66 overall nationally in his class, is the son of Jerry Francis, who scored 1,486 points for Ohio State from 1985-89. Buckeyes coach Thad Matta has offered Jeremiah.

Still, Jeremiah Francis is just a sophomore and keeping his options open when it comes to recruiting. He covets his Hawkeye offer.

“I met (Iowa) coach Fran (McCaffery) once and haven’t met (assistant) coach (Andrew) Francis yet. From what I know, I think they are good guys. They honor to their word and they are great coaches who know a lot about the game of basketball,” Jeremiah Francis said.

Francis said he hopes to visit Iowa sometime in the coming months.

BBK

THE GRINGOOOOO
Reaction score
Patrick reminds me of Aaron White.
White was almost exclusively inside and Patrick is almost exclusively on the outside. I think he is a lot more like Dekker than White.
I saw a lot of going to the hoop, runouts, and preset alley oops in that video. I haven't watched him play live, but just from the couple of videos I have seen it looks like he has a reasonable amount of ability around the rim and in the open floor.

But hell, if he can be the lovechild of Dekker and White, I am going to get the baby oil out right now.

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
Patrick is going to have elite level athleticism and you can tell he has a nasty streak to him. I like how he is a beanpole but dunks violent.

When he grows into his body and is stronger he is going to be a force.

douglasbader

Reaction score
He is also a mouthy little fucker and talks shit. I like it.

nolookpass

Feels the Bern
Reaction score
Patrick is going to have elite level athleticism and you can tell he has a nasty streak to him. I like how he is a beanpole but dunks violent.

Elite level?

douglasbader

Reaction score

Elite level?
I think so or close to it when he matures, similar to Dekker. The kid is already a Top 25 player in his class.

BBK

THE GRINGOOOOO
Reaction score
He will fill out, too. I don't think people should be overly concerned about how he looks like you could punch through him right now. He's like 16. Just needs a little time to eat some cheeseburgers and develop a love of shitty domestic beer.

nolookpass

Feels the Bern
Reaction score

Elite level?
I think so or close to it when he matures, similar to Dekker. The kid is already a Top 25 player in his class.
I think he's good and I've watched him a few times but I just didn't see elite-level of athleticism. When I think Elite athleticism I think of Tyler cook. If he's really that kind of athlete along with his skills he will be something

BBK

THE GRINGOOOOO
Reaction score

Elite level?
Top 25 player puts you in consideration for the McDonald's All American game. I imagine he will have elite level expectations.

hawkeyealum

Reaction score
His he fantasizing about Patrick?

Reaction score
Big man from Spirit Lake continues to get good reviews:

OWEN COBURN – 2019 – C – MARTIN BROTHERS
6’10” and strong finishing around the basket, it’s no wonder Coburn has a number of schools hot on his trail currently. Coburn did a really nice job in the game against Kessel late Saturday of asserting himself down low and giving his guards good targets to get him the ball inside, and once he caught inside he was a man at the hoop, finishing over or through defenders with balance, patience and touch. He used his size and length well defensively to control the paint and then control the boards. All in all, Coburn was great Saturday and finished the win over KHB with 19 points. He has offers right now from North Dakota and Drake, and is also receiving looks from Iowa, South Dakota St., and South Dakota.

Link