Game Thread *** Amended and Restated Official Iowa @ Maryland Thread ***

Reaction score
Alright, I'm getting pumped again ready to move to the next game. Maryland will be tricky more outside speed to deal with for our D. Once again a shoddy defense to play against should we desire to create a game plan to take advantage of that.

In any event chance to go 6-1 heading into our last bye/November stretch run. At beginning of year I would have taken that although my last choice for a loss would of course be the Fightin' Ronalds.

This begin a four game stretch where every team we play is coming off a bye week. (Maryland, NW, Illinois, Minnesota).

In the way too early speculation area - we play Minnesota on November 8th. Their two games til then are Purdue and @Illinois. We have @Maryland and Northwestern. Could be a big time game atmo althought would not get Gameday as same weekend as Baylor/OU and tOSU/MSU.

I

Indie Hawk

I hope to see Jake only next week unless we get up big on them. I hate the 2 QB system.

Reaction score
Iowa has lost its last three games against new B10 teams

2011- L 7-20 @ Nebrantska
1993- L 0-31 vs. Penn State
1953- L 7-21 vs. Michigan State

howler

Totally Not a Spartan Fan
Reaction score
Win at Maryland and this will be one of the most fun Novembers of my lifetime. Each week very winnable, and the thought of playing in Indy in December after that 2012 debacle makes me giddy.

howler

Totally Not a Spartan Fan
Reaction score
Iowa has lost its last three games against new B10 teams

2011- L 7-20 @ Nebrantska
1993- L 0-31 vs. Penn State
1953- L 7-21 vs. Michigan State
But Kirk already scouted Maryland in the IU game tape. It's all good.

Reaction score
Win at Maryland and this will be one of the most fun Novembers of my lifetime. Each week very winnable, and the thought of playing in Indy in December after that 2012 debacle makes me giddy.
actually a chance that Iowa @ Minnesota winds up being a big ole showdown

Iowa (5-1, 2-0) is at Maryland (4-2, 1-1) and hosts Northwestern (3-3, 2-1). Minnesota (5-1, 2-0) hosts Purdue (3-4, 1-2) and visits Illinois (3-4, 0-3). Would be a lot of fun if both teams were 7-1 (4-0) and ranked ~20.

but don't worry @castichawk24, I'm 100% focused on the Terps!

(just realized that YMH basically said all of that, I didn't actually read that far)

Reaction score
In the Ferentz PC today it seems he's had the realization we should be 6-0 and that the ISU loss was inexcusable. He was perturbed basically acknowledging we should be 6-0.

Shpadoinkle

Tagline-havin' son of a bitch
Reaction score
Why are we fucking with our faggot Shawnee game thread win streak?

cloudhawk

Special
Reaction score
In the Ferentz PC today it seems he's had the realization we should be 6-0 and that the ISU loss was inexcusable. He was perturbed basically acknowledging we should be 6-0.
Good start-Not that it's any consolation now. Someone is in his ear suggesting things like going for it on Fourth down, that it is actually OK to focus on not losing a game in September. Just crazy stuff like that.

Reaction score
I'm pumped up to the point I am currently downloading torrents of Maryland's games vs. WVU and Indiana to get a feel for their team.

I expect to see them try to find STefon Diggs some creative guys to get the ball in space after seeing what Coleman did to us

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
I liked the comment that Ferentz in the post game yesterday. He basically said that the Iowa schedule is weird, and with another bye week after this game they are going to pour everything they have into the next week for this game.

They should be very motivated for a whole bunch of reasons. Win this game and you get to head into the bye week at 6-1 and ranked. Lose this game and you have 2 weeks to suffer through fans demanding that Ferentz should be fired and endless negative questions and atmosphere. Iowa should be playing balls out and desperate to win this game.

It would be great (obviously) from a fan perspective as well. The retardation after a loss is enough to deal with by itself, but throw in a bye week and it becomes much worse. Also, it will be so much easier to get excited for November. If they lose, it would take winning against Northwestern, @Minnesota and @Illinois to become remotely excited about the season again.

Gushawk

Likely a Russian Bot Account
Reaction score
Win this and you can split vs Minn and NW and everything is still in front of you. Sneaky huge game. Hope CJ Brown still isn't right. Diggs is great, but can't affect a game like a QB or RB.

scottsdalehawk

Buckled Up
Reaction score
I like Iowa's chance at winning this game now more than I did before the season.

AZmessDAWG

Loved and Defended The Criminal Until the Bitter End
Reaction score
Win this and you can split vs Minn and NW and everything is still in front of you. Sneaky huge game. Hope CJ Brown still isn't right. Diggs is great, but can't affect a game like a QB or RB.
Hawks are winning their next 3

douglasbader

Reaction score
The Offense is going to have to help out a lot in this game. Not sure if anyone has watched Maryland, but they are super fucking annoying on a Northwestern type level. They run almost everything out of the shotgun spread with a lot of diamond formation that has 3 backs moving all over the place. The QB will run an option style faking handoffs to a WR in motion, then the RB and pull the ball back to pass. They try to run on the edges more than in the middle of the field and have skinny and mobile linemen instead of big guys moving piles. I can see them confusing the shit out of our linebackers and safeties.

They also run play action run and WR screen to get Diggs in space.

AZmessDAWG

Loved and Defended The Criminal Until the Bitter End
Reaction score
Parker is gonna break a kick off soon.
He seems to be getting a little more decisive. Worst thing a kick returner can do is dance around looking for a hole which is what Parker was doing at the beginning of the season. Good returners just go make maybe one move and then hope for the best. That's why Timmy D was so good.

Reaction score
I still think this will be the 2nd most difficult opponent of the season besides Nebrantska.
I think Wisconsin would be after NE because of the way they match up with us. I think if we play assignment defense and keep Diggs in front of us, we have a good chance to win on the road. Just afraid we'll get sucked into a one dimensional slugfest with the Badgers

Reaction score
Maryland has a defense that is very gashable. I don't see this game not unlike the Indiana game. Just swap the potent Indiana run game for a potent Maryland pass game. We'll need to put up 30+ and the defense can bend but not break.

douglasbader

Reaction score
Watched a couple games of their offensive plays. This game is going to be a nightmare for our Defense.

Maryland thankfully gives up points to decent teams.

Reaction score
The key I think will be sustaining drives and keeping the three and outs to a minimum. The offense has to help the defense out. Might be tough to do running stretches with a plodding Weisman or dropping balls like we did 2 weeks ago.

douglasbader

Reaction score
Maryland opens as a -2.5 point favorite. Can't wait for @Shawneemicks to tell us what we need to know!!

Kamala

Isn't Sure About Gasser
Reaction score
What was wrong with @Shawneemicks thread? He may or may not be a douche, but the thread seemed fine.

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
I've watched one Maryland game and it was when they played Ohio State. Their offensive line is not very good. OSU blitzed the shit out of them and they had no answer for it. If iowa sits back and tries to bring pressure with 4 it could be a long day.

douglasbader

Reaction score
I've watched one Maryland game and it was when they played Ohio State. Their offensive line is not very good. OSU blitzed the shit out of them and they had no answer for it. If iowa sits back and tries to bring pressure with 4 it could be a long day.
It was the same thing in the Indiana game. When they brought pressure, Maryland was terrible. If they sat back in base, they got picked apart.

Reaction score
What the hell why all the love and respect for the lowly Maryland Terapins??? This is a team that has gone 24-38 and 12-28 in the pitiful ACC in the last 5 years and lost to Marshall in the Military Bowl in 2013. I think it has become cool to dis the Hawkeye's. Fuck Maryland. And I hope their uniforms aren't to gay.

Shawneemicks

Has said plenty of things dumber than this
Reaction score
2.5 is easy money fyi.
Candy from a baby easy.

douglasbader

Reaction score
Have we discussed that Powell is now averaging 27 yards per catch? Can they please find a way to get him a minimum of 5 targets per game? They finally did it against Indiana and look how well it worked out. There needs to be a minimum of 15 targets between Smith and Powell.

Reaction score
I wonder who'd win a foot race between Parker and Powell?

I just wish we would have spent more time recruiting kids like that before we adopted this offense. I know Davis said we needed speed when we got here and so we made recruiting quicker WRs a focus, but I can't understand why we didn't focus on this before. I know some people are going to say, "We did but they didn't want to come here" but I don't think that was the case.

Last edited:

Whatever

Loves Fayette
Reaction score
I wonder who'd win a foot race between Parker and Powell?

I just wish we would have spent more time recruiting kids like that before we adopted this offense. I know Davis said we needed speed when we got here and make recruiting quicker WRs a focus, but I can't understand why we didn't focus on this before. I know some people are going to say, "We did but they didn't want to come here" but I don't think that was the case.
fwiw

peace

Reaction score
I think Powell may be the fastest player we've ever had under Ferentz. He blows by people. That TD vs. Indiana the the Indiana DB had a five yard head start on him and Powell passed him in about two seconds.

Last edited:

douglasbader

Reaction score
That makes it all the more maddening he isn't used more. It isn't like he is a track guy trying to play Football either, he is a legit player with Football speed. It is a crime he only had 12 catches last year and 9 so far this year.

StinkyMcFadden

She/Her
Reaction score
I liked the comment that Ferentz in the post game yesterday. He basically said that the Iowa schedule is weird, and with another bye week after this game they are going to pour everything they have into the next week for this game.

They should be very motivated for a whole bunch of reasons. Win this game and you get to head into the bye week at 6-1 and ranked. Lose this game and you have 2 weeks to suffer through fans demanding that Ferentz should be fired and endless negative questions and atmosphere. Iowa should be playing balls out and desperate to win this game.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL.

Good news, fellas. Ferentz is really going to try to win this game because we don't play the next week.

We're gonna lay it all on the line because afterwards we can rest for super long.