Game Thread Iowa @ Indiana - Tuesday 3/3 6:00pm ESPN

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
This game is gigantic for all sorts of reasons and the best thing isn't a must win. Usually that would be a minor concern, but I think awesome that they can play loose and have fun with it.

Win this game and they are a lock for the NCAA Tournament. It also makes them a virtual lock for no worse than the #5 seed in the Big Ten Tournament and gives them a good possibility of moving up as high as #3.

Iowa matches up very well with Indiana as they have the worst defense by a long margin in the Big Ten and live and die by shooting threes. Indiana has trouble with most any team that has true size and length as seen by how much the struggled with Purdue, Wisconsin, Ohio State, Maryland, Michigan State, etc....

They have gotten pretty lucky going 5-2 in the Big Ten in games decided by 6 points or less and a lot of those were against lesser teams.

Iowa defends the three well and can pound them inside. Gesell, Clemmons, Jok and Oglesby will need to keep guys somewhat in front of them (cue Valpo and the curly haired shock gif), but Iowa has what Indiana struggles with.

Dakich will be on the call for ESPN and the entire student section is wearing eye patches to give Woodbury shit. It will be a nice and hostile environment.

Last edited:

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
I have a good feeling about this one. White has carried Iowa the last couple games so guys like Uthoff and Jok are due for a good game.

douglasbader

Reaction score
I have a good feeling about this one. White has carried Iowa the last couple games so guys like Uthoff and Jok are due for a good game.
This also has the chance to be a catalyst for a major meltdown by the Indiana fans against Crean. They are still somewhat on the bubble, and if they lose to Iowa with Michigan State coming in they could end up 19-12 and 9-9 in conference.

It would give them an RPI of 63 and likely first round Big Ten Tournament win needed against the #10 seed Minnesota or Michigan to get in to the NCAA Tournament.

Mo T

Carnie Profiler
Reaction score
Indiana is squarely on the bubble. I think they are looking at a similar situation to Iowa last year. Possible marquee play-in game.

Gushawk

Likely a Russian Bot Account
Reaction score
Full circle, boyz. Take that beam and fuck Assembly Hall in the ass with it.

Revolver

Will Ruin Your Thread and Crush Your Dreams
Reaction score
I bet at some point Oglesby will complete a glorious alley oop to White for the millionth time this season.

Reaction score
Gonna be a fun game. Should be fast paced and high scoring. ESPN game with a lot on the line. A win helps more than a loss hurts which is the opposite of yesterday.

Dr. Zaius

IS A DOCTOR
Reaction score
Fran has a pretty good track record of outcoaching Crean.

Slidewilly

Independent centrist moderate
Reaction score
There's a segment of IU fans who already want Crean gone. I wish that would be manifested in attendance, but i doubt that will be the case. If they don't win these last two home games and don't make noise in the tournament, it's going to be ugly over there. No matter what happens the rest of this season, I'll be surprised if he finishes out his current contract.

Mo T

Carnie Profiler
Reaction score
Indiana basketball fan has become delusional like Husker football fan.

Slidewilly

Independent centrist moderate
Reaction score
Indiana basketball fan has become delusional like Husker football fan.
If by "become" you mean they've been as demanding and entitled as Huskers fans for more than 30 years, then yes.

The Dad

Legitimately bald forever and stupid looking
Reaction score
Somewhat sadly, I hope someday we can feel as demanding and entitled.

ivan_drago

Fiercely Advocated for Unlimited Transfers
Reaction score
Dakich on the call.

Great!

douglasbader

Reaction score
Dakich on the call.

Great!
I saw you flipping out about this on twitter with other Iowa fans. The announcers have been set since before the season even began. ESPN has a published schedule of who announces on what dates, so this was no surprise.

ivan_drago

Fiercely Advocated for Unlimited Transfers
Reaction score
Dakich on the call.

Great!
I saw you flipping out about this on twitter with other Iowa fans. The announcers have been set since before the season even began. ESPN has a published schedule of who announces on what dates, so this was no surprise.
"For the love of God, why?" Isn't flipping out, guy.

douglasbader

Reaction score
Reaction score
How do we match up with Indiana otherwise? It's been said that our length favors us, but how about our guards vs their guards?

douglasbader

Reaction score
Colin Hartman is out for the Iowa game. He is one of their main bench players and best shooters. They missed him against Northwestern.

FrodoTBaggin

Balding and Demands Accuracy
Reaction score
Holy shit. harbinger FTW. That's awesome.

Stu Beagle

Has Tiny Onions
Reaction score
Weird that Indiana has no Seniors on their team.

Stu Beagle

Has Tiny Onions
Reaction score
This game shouldn't be that stressful to watch tonight as we knew we would be the underdog for awhile now. But I'm going to Chicago next week and I really want that double bye. We are so close now and I'm gonna be pissed if we don't get it.

Reaction score
Nothing to do with the game tonight but I stumbled on this '12-'13 highlight video. Love me some senior Eric May:

Match34

Is Not Funny
Reaction score
I'll bet at some point in the game a 6'7" guy will get the ball in the post against Woodbury and Gesell will come in to help, leaving his guy wide open for three.

Reaction score
Indiana officials assure the visiting Hawkeyes that they will be pleased with beam repairs.

hawkeyealum

Subscribes to Playboy for the articles
Reaction score
I'll bet at some point in the game a 6'7" guy will get the ball in the post against Woodbury and Gesell will come in to help, leaving his guy wide open for three.
I also suspect at some point woody will hedge a guy halfway between the three point line and the half court and not get back to the post in time and give up an easy score.

Hawk_Kegmasters

Saw Spice World in Theaters
Reaction score
I'll predict Indiana will score approximately 25 buckets and many of those will be scored because a Hawkeye messed up their assignment on defense. Fans will predictably go nuts thinking it's unfathomable a team should get any easy buckets against the vaunted Iowa Hawkeyes.

Reaction score
Speaking of rebounding, I knew we were in trouble early vs ISU when they were out-rebounding us even though we had the length advantage. We seem to run into issues with teams that are strong on the boards and do not let us get our 2nd or 3rd opportunities. (like most teams I guess) They were hitting all their shots and rebounding all our missed shots

hawkeyealum

Subscribes to Playboy for the articles
Reaction score
I realize I shouldn't have expectations but I expect to lose this game. I feel like Blackmon and Ferrell will kill our guards. Maybe Sapp will bring it on defense tonight.

I wouldn't mind seeing Uthoff or Uhl guarding Blackmon

Gushawk

Likely a Russian Bot Account
Reaction score
Our bigs will need to pwn as hard as their guards. Need something better than average from Woody, imo. It's possible, though perhaps not to be expected.

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score
I feel like it's going to come down to their 3s dropping or not.

Hawk_Kegmasters

Saw Spice World in Theaters
Reaction score
Our bigs will need to pwn as hard as their guards. Need something better than average from Woody, imo. It's possible, though perhaps not to be expected.
I have no doubt our bigs will hand out some pwnage.

Fritz Fequiere

Has a Master's from ISU worth millions
Reaction score
I also suspect at some point woody will hedge a guy halfway between the three point line and the half court and not get back to the post in time and give up an easy score.
That doesn't bother me at all because Woodbury "wins" most of those, which in effect disrupts offensive rhythm.