**Official 2017 Iowa Football Off-Season Thread**

hawkeyealum

Subscribes to Playboy for the articles
Reaction score
You've mentioned many times that football isn't rocket science. I agree. It's not that. But it's definitely more complicated than you seem to want to think, and despite the evidence around you, you still continue with this same strange, overly simplistic view of the sport. It seems weird that for the past few years on this board there have been dozens of posts acknowledging the complexity of the offense, and for the receivers in particular. But I'm sure a career basketball player with one year experience in organized football could start working with the team in late July and contribute immediately. Pretty simple, really.
I think you mean the stupidity of the offense, and for the wide receivers in particular.

I don't know how early AW would play but even if he's slow to pick up the nuances of the position I think probably he's smart and athletic enough to be used for particular sets or routes. That being said, this new class of WR does seem intriguing

Monster

Fapped to The Karate Kid Wearing a Mask
Reaction score
That he only played one season and was immediately an all state player in one of the better states in the country for high school football seems pretty good
doesn't matter. It's very complicated. As evidenced by the Davis boys at ISU.
It's great how you pick the easiest position on the field to learn. Ooooh buuuuuurn.

wondergrape

Has Bad Hair
Reaction score
He has only played one year of football.
He played youth league and middle school football before he transferred to Wayne. Not high level stuff, but...

edit:scooped!
So...only one year of football.
This is pretty much the case. Our high school doesn't even have enough players to field a high school team. Pretty sure when he played middle school ball it was just him running around in a field with ten neighborhood kids.

Monster

Reaction score
Wagner is a very good athlete and showed a ton of potential in his one year of playing HS football. If I was in his circle of advisors I would recommend to him he quit basketball, redshirt, start working with the QBs, and get ready for 2018. Or put on 20 and have 2 years to show you can play TE at Iowa. I don't know a ton about the basketball leagues in Europe and Asia, so maybe he could play over there, but he wouldn't make a ton of money. Right now, he's a marginal basketball player facing a loaded frontcourt. He may not get 20 minutes a game. He has a real future in football. But I'd be surprised if he could do it part time. I think he has to pick one or the other. Graham and Gates were stars - they could miss the preseason and a few games and step right on the court. AW is not a star. If he played football and the team made a bowl he would start with bball in January. Or he'd skip the bowl, which would suck. It would be pretty tough, even with the subpar returning talent at receiver, for him to learn the offense, learn how to block, learn the routes, and get any sort of fell and timing with the two QBs by this fall. Especially since coming in he'd be getting 3rd or 4th team reps.

Reaction score
Did Tony Gonzalez play any football at Cal? I know he was a basketball player - but can't remember if he was 2 sport in college, or if he returned to football after Cal

Gushawk

Likely a Russian Bot Account
Reaction score
Antonio Gates did not play a snap of college football.

I'd be more worried about Wagner's 40 time than his experience in terms of capacity to contribute at WR. True freshmen WR make significant contributions at a lot of programs, just not at Iowa since Dom Douglass (due to a combination of poor recruiting and a terrible overcomplication of the position by a couple of real dumbfucks).

Reaction score
Wagner is a very good athlete and showed a ton of potential in his one year of playing HS football. If I was in his circle of advisors I would recommend to him he quit basketball, redshirt, start working with the QBs, and get ready for 2018. Or put on 20 and have 2 years to show you can play TE at Iowa. I don't know a ton about the basketball leagues in Europe and Asia, so maybe he could play over there, but he wouldn't make a ton of money. Right now, he's a marginal basketball player facing a loaded frontcourt. He may not get 20 minutes a game. He has a real future in football. But I'd be surprised if he could do it part time. I think he has to pick one or the other. Graham and Gates were stars - they could miss the preseason and a few games and step right on the court. AW is not a star. If he played football and the team made a bowl he would start with bball in January. Or he'd skip the bowl, which would suck. It would be pretty tough, even with the subpar returning talent at receiver, for him to learn the offense, learn how to block, learn the routes, and get any sort of fell and timing with the two QBs by this fall. Especially since coming in he'd be getting 3rd or 4th team reps.
Graham wasn't a basketball star. his stats were actually pretty similar to Wagner's.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/jimmy-graham-1.html
https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/ahmad-wagner-1.html

Monster

Reaction score
Graham wasn't a basketball star. his stats were actually pretty similar to Wagner's.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/jimmy-graham-1.html
https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/ahmad-wagner-1.html
Huh. Didn't know that. Thanks, Lime!

Gushawk

Likely a Russian Bot Account
Reaction score
Does Wagner have a published 40 time?

Monster

Reaction score
Does Wagner have a published 40 time?
I saw 4.5ish on HR, but can't remember if there's a source. He ran anchor on his HS 4x100 team that finished 4th at the state meet. I suspect he's fast.

Match34

Is Not Funny
Reaction score
I think Dalton Ferguson should give up football and join a hockey program. He's not going to see much more than field goal duty at Iowa but if he packs on another 30-40 pounds I think he could be a hell of a goalie. How you gonna get that puck around him when he's bigger than the net?

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score
This is dumb. Can we distinguish here between possible and probable? Sure, it's possible that Wagner would be the next Antonio Gates. He's probably not.

Monster

Reaction score
This is dumb. Can we distinguish here between possible and probable? Sure, it's possible that Wagner would be the next Antonio Gates. He's probably not.
Who is saying he is probably the next AG?

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score
Who is saying he is probably the next AG?
I'm saying that arguing with your point about him needing time to learn/transition by saying that Antonio Gates didn't is stupid.

Monster

Reaction score

Match34

Is Not Funny
Reaction score
Someone should tell them they shouldn't mow during the day when it's this hot out.

Reaction score
Quite the story from Welsh today describing his battle with depression.

The Dad

Legitimately bald forever and stupid looking
Reaction score
He passes the eye test.

Reaction score
Atta boy Bob!!! Who the fuck is it??
I don't have inside info, I'm pretty sure I got my info from the same thread on TOS as Monster.

The only thing(from the same thread) that I have seen related to the identity of the grad transfer is that he is possibly a WR from the Sun Belt. Take that with a grain of salt.

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
I don't have inside info, I'm pretty sure I got my info from the same thread on TOS as Monster.

The only thing(from the same thread) that I have seen related to the identity of the grad transfer is that it potentially is a WR from the Sun Belt. Take that with a grain of salt.
If Ferentz somehow gets a white grad transfer from the Sun Belt, it will be the biggest statistical anomaly of all time.

BuffettHawk

Useless
Reaction score

The only thing(from the same thread) that I have seen related to the identity of the grad transfer is that he is possibly a WR from the Sun Belt. Take that with a grain of salt.
Monster still posts on TOS?

Reaction score

Monster still posts on TOS?

He indeed posted in the thread I'm referring to. I don't post over there because I'm just borrowing my dad's account.

Herky823

5 Shirt Larry
Reaction score
Haven't been over there for awhile.

In all honesty, why not have an open tryout for WR...you never know - there could be a gem already on campus...maybe it's a long-shot, but on occasion other schools have found players this way
:icon_neutral: