**(13) Ohio State vs (5) Iowa Big Ten Tournament, 3-9-23, 1:30PM, BTN**

HawkBall23

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
It was a frustrating loss, of which there have been plenty this season. But some of you people need to get it together. We got swept by two Big Ten teams less talented than OSU. Is it really a stunner that we went down today?
Not stunned. Just disappointed. Really disappointed.

Same as the past Sunday.

Pinehawk

Regina Douche
Reaction score
Losing to Nebrantska, at home, with a 2 seed on the line. Followed by losing to an OSU team with a losing record, with a shot at a 20 win season and improved NCAA seeding.
Just a disappointing end to the season, and removes any confidence this team could impress in the NCAA tournament.

iowa4ever20

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Iowa had all the confidence in the world last year and it led to zero wins. They have had similar flame outs as the 5 and 6 seed in BTT and then won the next game in NCAA’s. There is a major conference team or two every year who is middle of the pack, loses right away in their conference tourney and then makes a run. It has just never been Iowa.

Will McCoy

Douchebag
Reaction score
It was a frustrating loss, of which there have been plenty this season. But some of you people need to get it together. We got swept by two Big Ten teams less talented than OSU. Is it really a stunner that we went down today?
I’m the #1 stunna. Wut wut wut wut!

James Bond.

Jackie Chan.

That bitch (Macguyver).

Reaction score
Losing to Nebrantska, at home, with a 2 seed on the line. Followed by losing to an OSU team with a losing record, with a shot at a 20 win season and improved NCAA seeding.
Just a disappointing end to the season, and removes any confidence this team could impress in the NCAA tournament.
Agreed but the confidence in the NCAA part is pretty meaningless.

2019 we lost 6 of 8, were blown out by Michigan and were a 10 seed underdog against Cincinnati in Ohio. They beat them then went to OT against 2 seed Tennessee with a few pros.
Last year we came in 12-2 and everyone’s dealing with an amazing draw and it went up in smoke.

We know what this team is and what they’re capable of good and bad.

Reactions: BBK

Revolver

Will Ruin Your Thread and Crush Your Dreams
Reaction score
Not stunned. Just disappointed. Really disappointed.

Same as the past Sunday.
They have been a lot better than I ever expected them to be when the year started. When they lost to Eastern Illinois, I thought they were going to win minimal games in the Big Ten.

For all the issues I have with McCaffery’s in game coaching, he has done a fantastic job of coaching this season to get this team into the Dance. Being disappointed is fine and normal enough, but wanting to shitcan Fran is a bit much considering the overall.

And the people shitting on Kris are out of their minds. No, he is not his brother, but he is a really good player and we are lucky to have him. The problem has been inconsistent play from the other major contributors. Kris has been at least solid in most games this season.

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
They have been a lot better than I ever expected them to be when the year started. When they lost to Eastern Illinois, I thought they were going to win minimal games in the Big Ten.

For all the issues I have with McCaffery’s in game coaching, he has done a fantastic job of coaching this season to get this team into the Dance. Being disappointed is fine and normal enough, but wanting to shitcan Fran is a bit much considering the overall.

And the people shitting on Kris are out of their minds. No, he is not his brother, but he is a really good player and we are lucky to have him. The problem has been inconsistent play from the other major contributors. Kris has been at least solid in most games this season.
It also isn't fair to Kris to judge him too much when he is playing with a PG that can't create shit. He gets very little help.

Reaction score
At least they don't boycott It's Brothers!!! when they refuse to adhere to dress codes
Holy shit man. You bring zero to the basketball forum. I’m all for making fun of others, but get a fucking clue.

Talkin' Goat

Lothario
Reaction score
It also isn't fair to Kris to judge him too much when he is playing with a PG that can't create shit. He gets very little help.
True but Kris is generally slower and more deliberate in going to his left. Teams can double down from behind to try and steal his dribble and usually disrupt him more often than not. His wide open drive to the right today was the first one I can remember where he said fuck it and went right.

ClintWalker

Once visited Minnesota
Reaction score
Fran has flirted with having a couple of really good teams but just never got over the hump. He's a decent coach who compares favorably with his predecessor (Tom) I'm not even counting Todd. Iowa hasn't won a conference title in decades, this should tell us something.

iowa4ever20

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Fran has flirted with having a couple of really good teams but just never got over the hump. He's a decent coach who compares favorably with his predecessor (Tom) I'm not even counting Todd. Iowa hasn't won a conference title in decades, this should tell us something.
Steve not count either?

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
The first one is an easy call, clearly (but lightly) puts pressure on a jumping rebounder and causes him to go off balance. The second one he didn't touch him, but it looked like he did because he brought his arm down hard and the guy blew the layup so bad.
shut the fuck up

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
We're back at the Tom Davis dilemma. We could certainly do worse than Fran, and I don't want Gary Barta having the opportunity to do just that.

There is more potential with Fran than there was with Dr Tom IMO, but unfortunately he's a stubborn old fuck just like Kirk.
yes, look at Gary’s horrible record of head coaching decisions

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
I mean, he got the ball with an open shot to end the half, on a play designed to do exactly that, and didn’t shoot it.

Reaction score
Fran’s system is too reliant on hot shooting and a fairly tight whistle for an NCAA run, imo. It can generate really fun moments, but that’s its ceiling. He’ll never adapt.
Teams reliant on shooting never make runs in the tournament.

Revolver

Reaction score
We shouldn’t be firing any coach until Barta is gone. You want that goon hiring another coach?

Gushawk

Likely a Russian Bot Account
Reaction score
I don’t think we should fire Fran, I just realize his limitations. Great evaluator of talent, poor closer against decent competition. Great offensive mind, terrible or utterly apathetic defensive mind. Cares about having skilled players, does not care about having strong players. There are far worse options out there from a fan’s perspective.

Reaction score
not ones that suck ass on the defensive end
That’s not true either. Teams of all shapes and sizes make runs if we’re qualifying a run as S16-E8. Teams reliant on shooting that get hot make runs yearly. It’s what most Cinderella teams are made of.

This is long but it breaks down how balanced teams compare to teams that are good on one end/bad on the other and then great on one end/terrible on the other.

Hawkstrat

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
That’s not true either. Teams of all shapes and sizes make runs if we’re qualifying a run as S16-E8. Teams reliant on shooting that get hot make runs yearly. It’s what most Cinderella teams are made of.

This is long but it breaks down how balanced teams compare to teams that are good on one end/bad on the other and then great on one end/terrible on the other.

I don't have time to read this now, but to some extent, who cares? Completely conceding that Iowa can go on a run (of course they can, Iowa was an open Moss 3 away from the Sweet 16), being better on defense would make them a better team.

Iowa don't want to argue about what is merely possible, I want the teams I cheer for to do the relatively easy things that will make them better. Iowa football should have a top 75 offense even during a down year, Iowa basketball should do the same on defense. I'm not asking for a huge philosophical shift out of Fran or Kirk. I don't buy L.Wade's argument that any focus on defense, even a little bit, will drastically hurt the offense.

Revolver

Reaction score
For the most part, most of Iowa's programs have good coaching at the top.
Gary has made two significant hires at Iowa. One was arguably the worst hire in the history of the athletic department.

KitKatApples

NW Season Ticket Holder (except IA games)
Reaction score
I don't have time to read this now, but to some extent, who cares? Completely conceding that Iowa can go on a run (of course they can, Iowa was an open Moss 3 away from the Sweet 16), being better on defense would make them a better team.

Iowa don't want to argue about what is merely possible, I want the teams I cheer for to do the relatively easy things that will make them better. Iowa football should have a top 75 offense even during a down year, Iowa basketball should do the same on defense. I'm not asking for a huge philosophical shift out of Fran or Kirk. I don't buy L.Wade's argument that any focus on defense, even a little bit, will drastically hurt the offense.
I see what you did there

CurdMan

TurdMan DDS
Reaction score
I don’t love Ulis but dear lord Fran you need an actual point guard on the floor. Part of the excitement we had about this team coming in to the season was that they would play fast and have upgraded athleticism at guard. Fran needs to lean in on that rather than the Conner point forward shit. If Fran somehow accidentally allows that to happen, this team can defend well enough to win a couple NCAAT games if shots fall.

Kamala

Isn't Sure About Gasser
Reaction score
21 minutes and zero fouls for Patrick.

That kid continues to get after it on the defensive end.
You may not know this, but the head coach is his dad so it’s really not fair to expect an honest evaluation from him.

It’s almost like a coach can’t do his job effectively when allowed to run the team as a family business.

Reaction score

Of course I want them to be better on defense. Some of the stretches are infuriating to watch and they’d be better positioned in every regard if they got more stops.

The point wasn’t to say “who cares, roll the dice, keep doing what you’re doing” it was just a counter to what Gus was arguing.

Creed

Wears Adult-Sized Underoos
Reaction score
I don’t love Ulis but dear lord Fran you need an actual point guard on the floor. Part of the excitement we had about this team coming in to the season was that they would play fast and have upgraded athleticism at guard. Fran needs to lean in on that rather than the Conner point forward shit. If Fran somehow accidentally allows that to happen, this team can defend well enough to win a couple NCAAT games if shots fall.
Foul trouble on Connor is the 🔑