**(13) Ohio State vs (5) Iowa Big Ten Tournament, 3-9-23, 1:30PM, BTN**

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
Connor McCaffery fucking sucks in every single way and can't wait to see him get the fuck out of Iowa City for a long time.

CurdMan

TurdMan DDS
Reaction score
Connor McCaffery fucking sucks in every single way and can't wait to see him get the fuck out of Iowa City for a long time.
What is your opinion on what we should expect out of Patrick next year? Because fuck me, but I have a really hard time being excited about the 23-24 team knowing Fran is going to “showcase” Patrick

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
What is your opinion on what we should expect out of Patrick next year? Because fuck me, but I have a really hard time being excited about the 23-24 team knowing Fran is going to “showcase” Patrick
I would expect that he is exactly the same player he has always been. 5 games a year he will give you 24 points, the rest will be a mix of barely anything and high teens and all points in between. Zero defense. Zero rebounding.

StinkyMcFadden

She/Her
Reaction score
I would expect that he is exactly the same player he has always been. 5 games a year he will give you 24 points, the rest will be a mix of barely anything and high teens and all points in between. Zero defense. Zero rebounding.
Don't forget about horrible defense.

Mitchandrsn

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
I would wager that 70% of the nearly nonexistent fouls Patrick does have are offensive. 2 fouls you’re pulled philosophy surely curated this.

CurdMan

TurdMan DDS
Reaction score
Swarm guy tempering portal expectations and alludes to fundraising for basketball not being anywhere close to football. I imagine Fran being so polarizing makes it a lot more difficult

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
The narrative that makes me want to put my face through my monitor is the one that states Iowa's ineptitude on defense is a natural and unavoidable consequence of how awesome they are at offense.
but it is, given our talent level. Iowa state is no different, just opposite.

Mr. Hawk

Traitorous Cunt / Just a smarter NLP
Reaction score
Don't forget about horrible defense.
and uncommitted and endless baseline jogging.

BBK

THE GRINGOOOOO
Reaction score
Swarm guy tempering portal expectations and alludes to fundraising for basketball not being anywhere close to football. I imagine Fran being so polarizing makes it a lot more difficult
"Fran said the f word once in front of my grandson!"

Hawkstrat

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
People just like football more than basketball, which is fine. But I can't imagine buying chef Brian better ingredients.

Fritz Fequiere

Has a Master's from ISU worth millions
Reaction score
The narrative that makes me want to put my face through my monitor is the one that states Iowa's ineptitude on defense is a natural and unavoidable consequence of how awesome they are at offense.
Since this social media site is fueled by anger and resentment, I don't expect you to understand this. After all, an overactive amygdala will often override the frontal lobes, as is so often the case on social media. But here goes............again:

If you want to be great on offense with marginal talent/athleticism like Iowa has, you need to run all kinds of motion, cutting, etc.

If you want to be great on defense with marginal talent/athleticism like Iowa has (like ISU, for instance), you're going to be as physical as possible on that end.

Now this is the part you really need to focus on:

If you're going to be as physical as possible on defense, you simply won't be able to be able run the aforementioned type of action on offense that it takes to be great with marginal talent. This is because -and I know this is the hard part to accept because it doesn't allow you to get all ragey at the players for not trying hard -the energy required to be as physical as it takes to be great on defense simply doesn't allow for that type of offensive action. In terms of energy expenditure, you can't have your cake and eat it too. I understand that you don't want this to be true. Many people can't accept facts that get in the way of their feelings.

This also explains Fran's statement early in his tenure about how he was an offensive-minded coach. Now why would he say something like that if one end has nothing to do with the other?

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score
Since this social media site is fueled by anger and resentment, I don't expect you to understand this. After all, an overactive amygdala will often override the frontal lobes, as is so often the case on social media. But here goes............again:

If you want to be great on offense with marginal talent/athleticism like Iowa has, you need to run all kinds of motion, cutting, etc.

If you want to be great on defense with marginal talent/athleticism like Iowa has (like ISU, for instance), you're going to be as physical as possible on that end.

If you're going to be as physical as possible on defense, you simply won't be able to be able run the aforementioned type of action on offense that it takes to be great with marginal talent. This is because -and I know this is the hard part to accept because it doesn't allow you to get all ragey at the players for not trying hard -the energy required to be as physical as it takes to be great on defense simply doesn't allow for that type of offensive action. In terms of energy expenditure, you can't have your cake and eat it too. I understand that you don't want this to be true. Many people can't accept facts that get in the way of their feelings.

This also explains Fran's statement early in his tenure about how he was an offensive-minded coach. Now why would he say something like that if one end has nothing to do with the other?
You basically just typed out the dumb thing again in longer words that you thought sounded smart.

It probably made it easier that you made a fundamental assumption not present in the post you were responding to.

Will McCoy

Douchebag
Reaction score
Fran’s system is too reliant on hot shooting and a fairly tight whistle for an NCAA run, imo. It can generate really fun moments, but that’s its ceiling. He’ll never adapt.
I just want his Siena team. I was hoodwinked. Assumed we’d eventually get that with better players. Similarly, a young Will assumed if Fuckface could take SWMS to the S16 then Iowa had elite 8 and final 4 potential.

I’m an idiot and Iowa is where dreams go to die.

kenos

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
I just want his Siena team. I was hoodwinked. Assumed we’d eventually get that with better players. Similarly, a young Will assumed if Fuckface could take SWMS to the S16 then Iowa had elite 8 and final 4 potential.

He's gone after them; he just doesn't get them.

gohawkeyes811

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score

Oh, so you're just inserting your own argument and acting as if it's the "ragey board" argument?

No one said one end has nothing to do with the other.

Also, weren't you the one who suggested Pat's defensive ineptitude is because of his hips?

Fritz Fequiere

Reaction score
Oh man, when do I get to learn of this mysterious fundamental assumption????

Reaction score
If college basketball was officiated the way basketball is supposed to be, Fran’s offense would be poetry in motion. Even if we were not hitting shots, we’d get to the line enough. I have wondered, how/ what would Fran’s offense would like in the NBA?

The thought that Iowa cannot incrementally improve on defense is the dumbest fucking thing I have ever heard. Only retards think that way. Hell, if they’d quit hedging bigs 25 feet from the hoop and quit overcommitting in last 5 seconds of the shot clock they’d make vast improvements. They don’t need to be a defensive juggernaut. They just need to be competent on that end of the floor.

Fritz Fequiere

Reaction score
Well at least goalposts are already being moved. I feel good. I feel noble.

6deuce

Reformed Fatass
Reaction score

gohawkeyes811

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Well at least goalposts are already being moved. I feel good. I feel noble.
Dude, you moved the goal posts in your long winded post.

Your post might have been somewhat cogent as a standalone post, but not in response to what you quoted.

Reaction score

His team profiles are basically the same as what they were at Siena. Play fast, don’t turn it over, don’t foul, shooting defenses not great.

The difference in makeup of the team is more related to demographics of location and guys he was able to land. He targeted the kind of players you’re describing early on in almost every class.

6deuce

Reformed Fatass
Reaction score
If Fran had daughters and not sons Iowa basketball would be in a great position. Unfortunately Fran had 3 boys and we're stuck with his offspring for about 12 years it seems.

He thinks his sons are much much better than they actually are. I'm guessing Marge isn't helping the situation. Connor playing the whole game (only reason he came out was he got a boo boo right before half) is unforgiveable. Fran needs to go. I appreciate what he's done, but it's just time to move on.

Hawk&Balls

NOT a member
Reaction score
If Fran had daughters and not sons Iowa basketball would be in a great position. Unfortunately Fran had 3 boys and we're stuck with his offspring for about 12 years it seems.

He thinks his sons are much much better than they actually are. I'm guessing Marge isn't helping the situation. Connor playing the whole game (only reason he came out was he got a boo boo right before half) is unforgiveable. Fran needs to go. I appreciate what he's done, but it's just time to move on.
Fran does have a daughter

iowa4ever20

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Connor played 30 minutes yesterday, not 38. This keeps showing up that he played the whole game but it is not true. He still sucked however.

CurdMan

TurdMan DDS
Reaction score
They are a rim protector and point guard away from having a good enough defense.