#2 Iowa vs #15 Grand Canyon University • First Round• 5:25 • TBS

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
That game was never in any doubt whatsoever. The score is extremely misleading.
Yup, Iowa went zone to run the clock out. They didn’t really care if Grand Canyon scored. It was like Kirk milking a 10 point lead against Illinois.

Reaction score
Glad that Iowa won, but holy shit was that game hard to watch. One of the worst reffing crews I have ever seen and GCU wanted to tard it up the whole game.

Makes for a really shitty product to watch.
reffing sucked but the game was 86-74 and wide open. Not that bad

HawkBall23

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
To give an illustration of how inept that ref crew was, the game was over (Hawks up 14/15, under 20 seconds left) and not only do they not call the obvious OTB on GCU's big over Luka's back, they call the ball out off of Luka when the Canyon big slapped the ball out of his hands.

Fitting, I guess, that the B10 ref was the one that it happened right in front of and yet missed the OTB and made the wrong OOB call, even after reviewing it.

Best part of the game? Keegan Murray swatting a GCU shot that ricocheted off of said Pfeiffer's face.

HawkLax6

Thinks the 2 Deeps Matter
Reaction score
Grand Canyon hadn't allowed anyone to score more than 77 points this season until today.

Joe Wieskamp with 16 pts, 8 reb & 5 ast. The only other Hawkeye to do that in the tourney is James Moses vs Texas in the 1992 Round of 64.

Keegan Murray stuffing the stat sheet: 13 pts, 7 reb, 4 blk, 3 ast & 1 stl. No Hawkeye has ever done all of those in the same NCAA Tournament game. Ever.

CamelTones

Reaction score
To give an illustration of how inept that ref crew was, the game was over (Hawks up 14/15, under 20 seconds left) and not only do they not call the obvious OTB on GCU's big over Luka's back, they call the ball out off of Luka when the Canyon big slapped the ball out of his hands.

Fitting, I guess, that the B10 ref was the one that it happened right in front of and yet missed the OTB and made the wrong OOB call, even after reviewing it.

Best part of the game? Keegan Murray swatting a GCU shot that ricocheted off of said Pfeiffer's face.
Also they didn’t call the foul when bohannon was dribbling it up at the end when GCU was trying to give one so Iowa didn’t cover and I lost my bet.

HawkBall23

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Also they didn’t call the foul when bohannon was dribbling it up at the end when GCU was trying to give one so Iowa didn’t cover and I lost my bet.
Or despite it probably being accidental, not calling the F1 on the open-palmed smack of JBo's face.

Or the obvious hit on Wieskamp's arm on a 3pt shot.

Or calling the 3-seconds on Luka when that call has been whistled like a total of three times, in all the games played across the country since late November.

Reaction score
That is a good 15 seed. That 7 footer is a bitch with good touch and hands and massive. 6'11 guy who can stretch you plus a legit PG and physical defense. Short on wings and shooting but the gap between 2-4's and 13-15's has really shrunk in the last 10-15 years.

HawkLax6

Thinks the 2 Deeps Matter
Reaction score
Oregon's top five scorers are all 6-5/6-6. Will be nice to have to defend all that size like today.

CamelTones

Reaction score
That is a good 15 seed. That 7 footer is a bitch with good touch and hands and massive. 6'11 guy who can stretch you plus a legit PG and physical defense. Short on wings and shooting but the gap between 2-4's and 13-15's has really shrunk in the last 10-15 years.
3 point shot is the great equalizer. Those low seeds used to get crushed when it was a low post game because they never had the size to match the high seeds.

Reaction score
The size advantage p5 teams use to have on 13-16s at 4-5 is largely gone. That plus everyone being able to hit 3s so you cant dominate a game just pounding it inside has really narrowed the gap on a given day. Look at UNT - purdue. UnT has good guards but also a 6’10 who hung with Purdues main bigs.

Lee Beevers

They/Them
Reaction score
Ms Lee hates Iowa basketball on a respectable level. I’m still gonna try and get lucky tonight!!

iowa4ever20

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
For a game that was never in doubt, that game was frustrating as fuck.

It was my birthday and I must have drank more than most here because it never felt in doubt after first 10 mins or so. Sounds like I would have been more stressed if sober.

WCFHawkeye

actually likes the XFL
Reaction score
It never felt in doubt or close, which I couldn't say many games this year. They shot 50% from 3. Nothing wrong with this game. We move on. 32 teams do not, including Ohio State, Purdue, and Texas.

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
FYI, since this was requested earlier. Here's the KenPom team scouting report on Oregon.

View attachment 26764
So if I am reading that right, they will give up shitload of points and quick possessions, especially inside due to their size.

Have to hope they aren't on fire and Iowa isn't cold or turning the ball over.