#2 Iowa vs #7 Oregon • Second Round• 11:10 • CBS

eclone

Former VEISHEA Exec Committee Member
Reaction score
Does someone have a master list of programs that cheat and don’t cheat? Because Fran’s supposed lack of cheating sure is used as a crutch around here a lot. What other programs have such a disadvantage?

Lee Beevers

They/Them
Reaction score
Fran is a fantastic coach considering he doesn't cheat nor have a bagman. I would like to see him do both, but he won't. So given the disadvantage he starts with, Iowa is fortunate not to be in the Big Ten cellar every year.
I think about this fairly often as I’m a dipshit. What douche schools is the Iowa job better than?

Nebrantska for sure. Penn state although they obviously started cheating under Chambers. Rutgers? The reason Iowa is a top half of the big ten basketball school is pretty much exclusively Fran.

edit* Northwestern as well.

Reaction score
Does someone have a master list of programs that cheat and don’t cheat? Because Fran’s supposed lack of cheating sure is used as a crutch around here a lot. What other programs have such a disadvantage?
It's safe to say either Prohm doesn't cheat or he really fucking sucks at it. <sorta scooped>

Skinny Skier

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
Exactly. And yet people here were laughing at my comment that Fran isn't a great in game coach.
This thread is alternating between Fran is a fantastic coach to screenshots of shitty defense. He’s fine but nothing more. He’s probably slightly above average in conference.

WestMifflin

Traitorous Wisconsinite
Reaction score
I think about this fairly often as I’m a dipshit. What douche schools is the Iowa job better than?

Nebrantska for sure. Penn state although they obviously started cheating under Chambers. Rutgers? The reason Iowa is a top half of the big ten basketball school is pretty much exclusively Fran.

edit* Northwestern as well.
How did PSU cheat? They were decent last year, but weren't really anything great.

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
Exactly. And yet people here were laughing at my comment that Fran isn't a great in game coach.
Oregon was 3-9 from 3, with one of the 3 being a banked in side winder, when Fran went to the zone. Oregon still had 38 points despite that because Iowa could not stop dribble penetration.

Hawkstrat

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
The cheating thing on here gets tiring, but there's nothing about Iowa's recruiting that would necessitate "supposed."

Lee Beevers

They/Them
Reaction score
How did PSU cheat? They were decent last year, but weren't really anything great.
well they started bringing in players they’ve never even sniffed being able to get before. I assume it was due to bag man payments, but could certainly be wrong.

CamelTones

Reaction score
I've resigned myself to accepting that (kind of) doubling a wing is a core tenet of Fran's zone defense. It happens too often (almost every possession) for it not to be. Otherwise, you'd LOOK REALLY STUPID.
I'm trying to figure out what exactly Patrick is doing and what he's suppose to be doing. He's in position to guard....no one.

CamelTones

Reaction score
Wieskamp is in zone but is guarding the guy up top like he's in man. He should be following the ball there.

Reaction score
This thread is alternating between Fran is a fantastic coach to screenshots of shitty defense. He’s fine but nothing more. He’s probably slightly above average in conference.
There’s obviously strengths and weaknesses.
Overall we have a job that is easily below average in the league. Our results for a decade have been above average. Our recruiting on paper is average at best and probably below average. He’s an outstanding offensive coach, identifies talent and develops it well to overcome some of those issues. Unfortunately he’s obviously had major consistent issues on defense.

BngHawk

Nextdoor Mod
Reaction score
Hi. I’ll sign up for the bag man approach. Preferably in football and basketball at the same time. I give no fucks if we eventually have to vacate wins. Get me some dirty shit and get us some natties.

AZmessDAWG

Loved and Defended The Criminal Until the Bitter End
Reaction score
Nope I wasn’t.

cloudhawk

Special
Reaction score
Yeah oregon did a great job exploiting the zone. Constantly putting us in tough positions on ball reversal.
-cpt obv
Well to be fair- they also did a great job of breaking down the man to man D, both before and after, exploiting the zone.

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score
Wieskamp is in zone but is guarding the guy up top like he's in man. He should be following the ball there.
This is also true. In Iowa's zone defense, people often end up yelling at the guy closing late like it's his fault. The reality is, by the time that first pass happened, Keegan was already fucked. He could leave the first shooter open or end up looking like an asshole closing late on the eventual shooter.

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score
There’s obviously strengths and weaknesses.
Overall we have a job that is easily below average in the league. Our results for a decade have been above average. Our recruiting on paper is average at best and probably below average. He’s an outstanding offensive coach, identifies talent and develops it well to overcome some of those issues. Unfortunately he’s obviously had major consistent issues on defense.
Nuh uh he sucks or you think he's great.

The Full Monte

Does Weirdo Fat Guy Shit
Reaction score
These comments always crack me up. As if somehow it’s unfathomable that in a relatively small town, at a relatively small time program...certain folks might have some inside insight/knowledge to certain components of the program

The Tin Man

Reaction score
For a guy that is obsessive about the number of fouls his players have in a somewhat misguided quest to avoid having them foul out, Fran really doesn’t know how to maximize the opportunities to create the same problem for the opposing team especially when he is given the chance due to their untimely fouls.

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score
For a guy that is obsessive about the number of fouls his players have in a somewhat misguided quest to avoid having them foul out, Fran really doesn’t know how to maximize the opportunities to create the same problem for the opposing team especially when he is given the chance due to their untimely fouls.
I don't know about that. Iowa didn't draw a ton of fouls this year, but in the past Iowa has had some teams that were really good at drawing fouls. A lot of that is player dependent. The Aaron White and Tyler Cook teams were pretty good at it. Luka was good at it, but stopped getting as many calls as the season went on. None of the other guards or wings on Iowa's current roster really drive strong enough to consistently draw fouls.

The Dad

Legitimately bald forever and stupid looking
Reaction score
I've resigned myself to accepting that (kind of) doubling a wing is a core tenet of Fran's zone defense. It happens too often (almost every possession) for it not to be. Otherwise, you'd LOOK REALLY STUPID.
I don’t think so, Fro. I think it’s just a slow and terrible bump when the guard is eventually able to recover 1.5 passes late.

Alan Lomax

has listened to a podcast about this thread.
Reaction score
This is also true. In Iowa's zone defense, people often end up yelling at the guy closing late like it's his fault. The reality is, by the time that first pass happened, Keegan was already fucked. He could leave the first shooter open or end up looking like an asshole closing late on the eventual shooter.
Iowa seems to find “both” a lot in this either/or scenario.
General question, sorry if already asked, but does iowa, or anyone in college really, label offensive and defensive coordinators? I’m all for that change if not.

Hawk_Kegmasters

Saw Spice World in Theaters
Reaction score
Keegan has to be in the passing lane. The direct pass to the corner is death.
It looks like he recovered pretty well to me considering his 1 on 2 disadvantage. Shooter on the wing couldn’t have got a free shot up, and Keegan still got his hand in the passing lane but the passer made a nice bounce pass. I think he would have knocked away a pass without the bounce.

The Dad

Legitimately bald forever and stupid looking
Reaction score
It looks like he recovered pretty well to me considering his 1 on 2 disadvantage. Shooter on the wing couldn’t have got a free shot up, and Keegan still got his hand in the passing lane but the passer made a nice bounce pass. I think he would have knocked away a pass without the bounce.
He has to be further out in the passing lane. If the pass is going to the corner it has to be over the top so either he or Luka at least have a chance to get there.