#2 Iowa vs #7 Oregon • Second Round• 11:10 • CBS

AZmessDAWG

Loved and Defended The Criminal Until the Bitter End
Reaction score
This is also true. In Iowa's zone defense, people often end up yelling at the guy closing late like it's his fault. The reality is, by the time that first pass happened, Keegan was already fucked. He could leave the first shooter open or end up looking like an asshole closing late on the eventual shooter.
Both guys work in tandem on skip passes. But when a good team exploits gaps and attacks HP or short corner, if they don’t do a good of covering that on ball side, the offense can set a guy opp wing and opp corner and pick the defense apart.

that’s what routinely kills Iowa’s zone.

The Dad

Legitimately bald forever and stupid looking
Reaction score
I think Wieskamp could've still defended the wing there ok. Murray didn't need to double. I like the shot from the wing way better than absolutely wide open in the corner.
Despite what the caveman says, I don’t think it’s meant to be a double. Keegan is a hedge until Joe can get there and bump him back to the corner. They are just so fucking bad at it.

6deuce

Reformed Fatass
Reaction score
Despite what the caveman says, I don’t think it’s meant to be a double. Keegan is a hedge until Joe can get there and bump him back to the corner. They are just so fucking bad at it.
If it's not meant to be a double then why do they do it over and over and over and over and over?

Lee Beevers

They/Them
Reaction score
I think Wieskamp could've still defended the wing there ok. Murray didn't need to double. I like the shot from the wing way better than absolutely wide open in the corner.
It looks like he recovered pretty well to me considering his 1 on 2 disadvantage. Shooter on the wing couldn’t have got a free shot up, and Keegan still got his hand in the passing lane but the passer made a nice bounce pass. I think he would have knocked away a pass without the bounce.
He has to be further out in the passing lane. If the pass is going to the corner it has to be over the top so either he or Luka at least have a chance to get there.

0472FF3C-45D7-43DE-A856-0A0F515607EF.jpeg

The Tin Man

Reaction score
I don't know about that. Iowa didn't draw a ton of fouls this year, but in the past Iowa has had some teams that were really good at drawing fouls. A lot of that is player dependent. The Aaron White and Tyler Cook teams were pretty good at it. Luka was good at it, but stopped getting as many calls as the season went on. None of the other guards or wings on Iowa's current roster really drive strong enough to consistently draw fouls.
I guess I’m not necessarily talking about a season long strategy, more that when the other teams are in early foul trouble, for whatever reason, we don’t try to take advantage of that. Yesterday their “bigs” both had 2 early fouls and they continued to play them in the first half. We didn’t attack them, even with simple stuff like forcing that player into pick and roll decisions or clear outs. When Fran essentially fouls out our best players in the first half when they pick up 2, limiting their maximum playing time, why doesn’t he try do the same to other teams when given the opportunity? Maybe he is, and we have just been inept at successfully drawing more fouls, but I just don’t see it.

The same could be said of bonus situations at the end of each half. It didn’t happen often this season, but it drives me nuts when the team is in the bonus and don’t get to the line. Especially when we have what most would assume to be good FT shooters. JoeW and Jbo should have been getting cheap fouls at least once a game on a head bob, or a pump fake and drive in those situations. Maybe they just can’t get it done, maybe they don’t know or aren’t being told that’s what they should be doing. All I know is it is frustrating.

It’s like watching the football team trying to dink and dunk with GDGD passes and dump offs on offense, when it runs in the face of their own purported strategy on defense of bend but don’t break.

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
75% of #2 and #3 seeds lost or needed a miracle to not lose in the first weekend, yet here we are acting like Iowa is some sort of disaster and so different and more disappointing than everyone else.

It's ok to be pissed and disappointed, but people are being flat out irrational.

FrodoTBaggin

Balding and Demands Accuracy
Reaction score
That’s a fantastic burn by Turgeon
If it's not meant to be a double then why do they do it over and over and over and over and over?
You guys understand I was making fun of them, right? Fran is defensively retarded teaching a bunch of retards retarded zone principles.

douglasbader

Reaction score
Anyways, the big fuck up by Fran was not realizing that even though it looked terrible, he should have continued to stay in man and run Oregon off the 3 point line and dare them to take every layup and contested 2 point shot.

If they do that, I think Iowa wins that game. Oregon would have eventually started missing those shots and would have been in foul trouble and Iowa doesn't have to panic after getting down double digits.

Fran thought he could get away with running zone to end the half. He forgot how stupid his players are in zone.

The biggest thing I will remember besides losing, is that bohannon flat out quit with nearly 18 minutes to go in the game. I won't miss him.

douglasbader

Reaction score
The other thing I will remember from that game is that when bohannon quit and Connor/Fredrick were too slow and banged up to compete, they brought in multiple athletic guards and got 5 stops in a row.

Unfortunately one of those players is a spazz PG that turned the ball over a bunch when they could have got the lead right back down to 6 points and made it a real game.

Talkin' Goat

Lothario
Reaction score
Anyways, the big fuck up by Fran was not realizing that even though it looked terrible, he should have continued to stay in man and run Oregon off the 3 point line and dare them to take every layup and contested 2 point shot.

If they do that, I think Iowa wins that game. Oregon would have eventually started missing those shots and would have been in foul trouble and Iowa doesn't have to panic after getting down double digits.

Fran thought he could get away with running zone to end the half. He forgot how stupid his players are in zone.

The biggest thing I will remember besides losing, is that bohannon flat out quit with nearly 18 minutes to go in the game. I won't miss him.
Basically what Oregon did to Iowa. Seemed to work.

Saul Berkley

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
75% of #2 and #3 seeds lost or needed a miracle to not lose in the first weekend, yet here we are acting like Iowa is some sort of disaster and so different and more disappointing than everyone else.

It's ok to be pissed and disappointed, but people are being flat out irrational.
True but to be fair, I don't give a shit about those other teams.

Saul Berkley

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
The other thing I will remember from that game is that when bohannon quit and Connor/Fredrick were too slow and banged up to compete, they brought in multiple athletic guards and got 5 stops in a row.

Unfortunately one of those players is a spazz PG that turned the ball over a bunch when they could have got the lead right back down to 6 points and made it a real game.
I hope Ulis is legit because I just can't see Joe T being the starting PG and playing 30 mpg next year.

Fletch

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score

That’s retarded.

The Dad

Legitimately bald forever and stupid looking
Reaction score
Feels like we tried to give them all the 2s they wanted.

Fletch

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
It's not.
It is.

Look at the stats. They took 25 threes. So did we. They hit 11. We hit 8. They took 43 twos. So did we. They hit 27. We hit 23. They were only slightly less effective on twos than threes. You might have slowed the effective efficiency somewhat, but that’s assuming overplaying the perimeter didn’t lead to even more uncontested dunks. They were more efficient in every phase of the game.

Fletch

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
This is like saying Iowa would have won at the barn if only we forced Minnesota to take more threes.

Hurr da durr hurrr durr.

douglasbader

Reaction score
This is like saying Iowa would have won at the barn if only we forced Minnesota to take more threes.

Hurr da durr hurrr durr.
Lol. That isn't even remotely what it is like or what I am saying.

I see you are going to do the "Iowa would lose to Oregon no matter what every time" thing, because the outcome of one game is always locked no matter what after your team gets beat.

Good luck discussing anything with someone that is going to those truly retarded levels.

Fletch

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Lol. That isn't even remotely what it is like or what I am saying.

I see you are going to do the "Iowa would lose to Oregon no matter what every time" thing, because the outcome of one game is always locked no matter what after your team gets beat.

Good luck discussing anything with someone that is going to those truly retarded levels.
Nope. Sometimes shit happens. There’s variability in basketball day to day but trying to say forcing them to take only twos would have changed the outcome is objectively stupid.

douglasbader

Reaction score
Nope. Sometimes shit happens. There’s variability in basketball day to day but trying to say forcing them to take only twos would have changed the outcome is objectively stupid.
It's not.

douglasbader

Reaction score
You're taking the entire game stats from yesterday after they clearly fucked up at the end of the half. I'm talking about continuing what was working up until that point.

Sure, shit still happens, but even slight change in strategy makes all the difference.

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
As bad as the zone was, it wasn’t as awful as the 3 times Iowa tried the 3/4 court press.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
I was a big Jorbo fan but that was a brutal way to go out. He looked uninterested in being there.