**2014 Iowa Football Summer/Fall Camp Thread**

Reaction score
IMO anything can happen with this team, especially given the way we're built and how slow we start out of the gate in most years. I'll state the obvious and mention that we need to stay relatively healthy to sniff 8 wins.

I'm not even looking past UNI right now..ISU can put up points and I wont breathe easy until it's over. We don't match up very well with their scheme, even though we're much better than they are in the trenches. Rivalry game..nuff said

The Pitt game scares me. They beat Notre Dame at home and it's an early season road game..If Illinois's QB is as good as advertised, that game just got a lot tougher.

I think the Northern Illinois game left a bad taste in the mouths of many fans. We had no business losing that game and I think that game is what colored the opinions of many (Like C.A. Jones) in regards to our program. We have a history of dominating teams but either losing the game (see Iowa vs Minnesota) or letting them get too close. Ahh hell,that doesn't need to be said, I think you all realize this.
JFC, the season needs to start already, I can't take it anymore. Maybe I just need to go on a week long bender and quit reading nonsense like this. Need to stay relatively healthy to sniff 8 wins? LOL, given Iowa's schedule.

Who said anything about 8 wins? Good thing people like you aren't the one's playing or coaching these games. We're not good enough to overlook anyone and I have a hard time respecting anyone who thinks we'll just cakewalk through the majority of the season. Those LBs we lost last year were the main reason we won 8 games..

Whatever

Loves Fayette
Reaction score
IMO anything can happen with this team, especially given the way we're built and how slow we start out of the gate in most years. I'll state the obvious and mention that we need to stay relatively healthy to sniff 8 wins.

I'm not even looking past UNI right now..ISU can put up points and I wont breathe easy until it's over. We don't match up very well with their scheme, even though we're much better than they are in the trenches. Rivalry game..nuff said

The Pitt game scares me. They beat Notre Dame at home and it's an early season road game..If Illinois's QB is as good as advertised, that game just got a lot tougher.

I think the Northern Illinois game left a bad taste in the mouths of many fans. We had no business losing that game and I think that game is what colored the opinions of many (Like C.A. Jones) in regards to our program. We have a history of dominating teams but either losing the game (see Iowa vs Minnesota) or letting them get too close. Ahh hell,that doesn't need to be said, I think you all realize this.
Who said anything about 8 wins? You, you dumbfuck.

Reaction score
So from BTN tour day and other reports it appear Bower is getting a lot of time with 1s and may beat out Perry / Jewell for 3rd lb spot.

scottsdalehawk

Buckled Up
Reaction score
The talent on this Iowa team does not approach the talent of past great Iowa teams. This is a good, not great roster. If they were playing a normal (past years) Big Ten schedule, 8-4 would be considered a nice season. These rumblings about Iowa being a playoff sleeper are overly optimistic at best. There are far too many holes for this to be a top 10 team IMO.

Gushawk

Likely a Russian Bot Account
Reaction score
The talent on this Iowa team does not approach the talent of past great Iowa teams. This is a good, not great roster. If they were playing a normal (past years) Big Ten schedule, 8-4 would be considered a nice season. These rumblings about Iowa being a playoff sleeper are overly optimistic at best. There are far too many holes for this to be a top 10 team IMO.
I guess I just don't see the huge definite roster holes. Depth is thin in places, and potential talent needs to emerge as actual talent, but I don't see this as being a team with a low ceiling due to obvious and certain roster deficiencies.

scottsdalehawk

Buckled Up
Reaction score
I guess I just don't see the huge definite roster holes. Depth is thin in places, and potential talent needs to emerge as actual talent, but I don't see this as being a team with a low ceiling due to obvious and certain roster deficiencies.
Defensively, the LB and safety positions are both average at best. I think Alston will be fine but the other two spots concern me. Loudermilk is ok but is no stud like many safeties in Iowa's past. Defensive end is another area where I think they are lacking. The defense will be fine, just not great like most Iowa defenses are when they have an exceptional season (10 wins or more).

On offense, I like Jake but he is not Brad Banks, Chuck Long, Drew Tate or even Ricky Stanzi aka above average QBs on 10 win Iowa teams. I guess Nathan Chandler would be an exception in 03 but he had an incredible defense on that team.

Reaction score
Even in our great years we had scary thing depth in places. In '09 we had a walk on in the two deeps at OL, plus Andy Kuempel. Our two deep at DB including Greg Castillo and Joe Conklin. A backup DT was Travis Meade. Our 4th receiver was Paul Chaney. Our running backs were a true freshmand (Wegher) and a RS frosh (ARob).

In 2002 remember we were supposed to have Benny Sapp but he got kicked off and we had to go with Redshirt frosh AJ Allen who was never all that.

2004 we had an great front seven. Tate and good top receivers and that was about it. DB was weak. OL was average.

If you are saying top end talent, particularly on defense, I am inclined to agree. But who knows. Fletcher was unknown until he had a breakout season as a 5th year senior. The team doesn't seem to really have a weak position and depth is better than any team I can dig up.

Reaction score
How the fuck are you responding at 10-2 as "wildly optimistic" when you predict 9-3 yourself and act as if that is completely reasonable?
Well I was at 8-4 with 9-3 possible at the time of that quote. I am now in the 9-3 probable camp since hearing JR has made improvements to his game. But anything more is highly unlikely.
And you don't realize how ridiculous that is? If you think it's probable they win 9, it would not be highly unlikely they win 10. Or 8. Or that one game is the difference between mildly optimistic and wildly optimistic.
Doesn't it depend on the schedule? If you play 9 slobs and 3 top tier teams, 9-3 may be highly probable and 10-2 (or better) highly unlikely.

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
This is false.

QB - Rudock or Beathard are as good as Chandler on a team that went 10-2
RB - Nobody spectacular, but better than 2009.
OL - I did a whole post on this earlier, but we have the potential #1 draft pick, Top 5 Center and the rest are talented and highly recruited. As good or better than multiple other great Iowa teams.
TE - At least 2 NFL TE's with an outside shot at 2 more.
D-Line - Potential 1st round pick with a ton of depth and future NFL players at the DT spot. DE is weaker, but nothing horrible.
LB - Unknown at this point, but I would be Alston gets and NFL look and Spearman is drafted
CB - King is special and will be an NFL draft pick. The other spot is unknown.
S - Lowdermilk is in line with someone like Greenwood and Lomax is unknown but is a talented player that started at CB as a true sophomore and was good enough they found a spot for him to get him on the field.

Based on talent, this team is in line with what other teams have been.

Reaction score
Well I was at 8-4 with 9-3 possible at the time of that quote. I am now in the 9-3 probable camp since hearing JR has made improvements to his game. But anything more is highly unlikely.
And you don't realize how ridiculous that is? If you think it's probable they win 9, it would not be highly unlikely they win 10. Or 8. Or that one game is the difference between mildly optimistic and wildly optimistic.
Doesn't it depend on the schedule? If you play 9 slobs and 3 top tier teams, 9-3 may be highly probable and 10-2 (or better) highly unlikely.

The answer to your question is yes. But these yahoo's are pointing out something different.

Reaction score
Ott should be a monster this year based on having to go against Scherff in practice all the time.

Should be.

Reaction score
This team has significant talent. It's easy to look back at past teams and say they had this guy and that guy. At the time, we didn't know many of those players. Those players emerged and/or improved. Undoubtedly their will be players from this roster that will emerge.

In other words, Scottsdalehawk can go fuck himself.

kmurp

Can't get Jak out
Reaction score
This is false.

OL - I did a whole post on this earlier, but we have the potential #1 draft pick, Top 5 Center and the rest are talented and highly recruited. As good or better than multiple other great Iowa teams.
D-Line - Potential 1st round pick with a ton of depth and future NFL players at the DT spot. DE is weaker, but nothing horrible.
LB - Unknown at this point, but I would be Alston gets and NFL look and Spearman is drafted
S - Lowdermilk is in line with someone like Greenwood and Lomax is unknown but is a talented player that started at CB as a true sophomore and was good enough they found a spot for him to get him on the field.

Do you think we have ever been as thin at OT on any of the past teams that were very good? That position really scares me (after the starters).

scottsdalehawk

Buckled Up
Reaction score
This team has significant talent. It's easy to look back at past teams and say they had this guy and that guy. At the time, we didn't know many of those players. Those players emerged and/or improved. Undoubtedly their will be players from this roster that will emerge.

In other words, Scottsdalehawk can go fuck himself.
I just think the expectations are a little too high for the amount of talent on this roster and your post is a perfect example. Say they'll go 9-3 and the GFYs start flying. 9 wins is about a once every 4 year occurence for Iowa in my lifetime. Damn good year.

Reaction score
One week before the season, time to drink the kool-aid Scottsdale!

Nine wins is fine.

I do dispute your talent comment. There are at least 5-6 NFL draft pics on this team with another 3-4 borderline and young guys that develop into pros.

Reaction score
This is false.

Do you think we have ever been as thin at OT on any of the past teams that were very good? That position really scares me (after the starters).
In '09 the backup was a RSFr 280 converted DE named Reilly Reiff. The other backup was Zuzevics as a sophomore who had never played. In 2010 those two were the starters and the backups were Tobin (So) and Van Sloten (Rs Fr). We generally have backups that have no game action before.

02 is an outlier because any of the five starters could have moved to T if needed and then was Sobieski and also Aiello (who had started some games in 01).

O3 and 04 teams I think were dicey with the T backups but I haven't completed my research on historic Ferentz team depth for those years.

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
What year did Todd Plagmann start a couple games?

As others have said the only reason those previous teams had 'depth' is because of what those players did the year after and people are just assuming they were always that good.

Just look at the 2004 Big Ten title team, show me where they had 'depth' outside of Ed, Solomon and Chandler Tate was throwing to a bunch of no ones.

Reaction score

As others have said the only reason those previous teams had 'depth' is because of what those players did the year after and people are just assuming they were always that good.

Just look at the 2004 Big Ten title team, show me where they had 'depth' outside of Ed, Solomon and Chandler Tate was throwing to a bunch of no ones.
Plagman started two games in 2004.

Reaction score

Who said anything about 8 wins? You, you dumbfuck.

Dammit appears I did. I shouldn't be reading multiple threads

Reaction score

douglasbader

Reaction score
I posted this in another thread..... the linebackers from last year got much better, and to give my boy Monstard credit, it happened when the D-Line got better. They were good in 2012 for the most part, but the leap forward they took when able to fly around because the D-Line was doing their job made all the difference. It is why I don't think we are going to have that big of a drop off this year and the new group might even shock people how good they are because the D-Line is even better this year and they will have the freedom to roam around and do what they need to do.

CamelTones

Reaction score
I posted this in another thread..... the linebackers from last year got much better, and to give my boy Monstard credit, it happened when the D-Line got better. They were good in 2012 for the most part, but the leap forward they took when able to fly around because the D-Line was doing their job made all the difference. It is why I don't think we are going to have that big of a drop off this year and the new group might even shock people how good they are because the D-Line is even better this year and they will have the freedom to roam around and do what they need to do.
Just look at 2005. Everyone was pumped because Hodge and Greenway plus 3/4 of the secondary we're coming back. Only problem was the entire front 4 left and the guys taking over were not ready until basically the very last game against Wisconsin that year.

Reaction score

Plagman started two games in 2004.
Not '05? I know they were scrambling around trying to piece the OL together early that year at the time of the ISU debacle. Seems like he and Olsen were battling for one guard spot, both struggling. Could be my Alzheimer's.

Just think about '04. That was a piecemeal line and then a one-legged RG named Ferentz stepped in and made the calls from that spot and transformed it into a cohesive unit. The difference between 9-2 and 6-5. f Hinkel or Solomon had gone down it was Goodnight Ladies. Considine? Roth, JB, Hodge-Greenway, Considine. There wasn't squat behind them.

Reaction score

we may not have a lot of experienced depth at certain positions, but I'm happy with the depth at RB, QB, WR, DB and DT, but we have depth issues at LB and DE.

Reaction score

we may not have a lot of experienced depth at certain positions, but I'm happy with the depth at RB, QB, WR, DB and DT, but we have depth issues at LB and DE.
Disagree on LB. We are young and inexperienced but there's no shortage of young talent based upon how position battles are shaking out. Most prior years Cole Fisher would be our option other than Perry as third starter. He's apparently 6th or 7th at this point.

douglasbader

Reaction score
Gasser posted on TOS that he went to practice and Mabin is the clear cut starter at CB. Said that he is very good and is huge for a corner.

It also sounds like Bower is going to be the starting LB over Perry and others.

kmurp

Can't get Jak out
Reaction score
Gasser posted on TOS that he went to practice and Mabin is the clear cut starter at CB. Said that he is very good and is huge for a corner.

Must say, I'm surprised on the Bower thing. Wonder if Perry is still hurt. Also, surprised it's not Jewell as well based on the comments in the spring.

Gushawk

Reaction score
The Perry hurt angle seems off given that he's apparently been practicing some as the backup MLB behind Alston and perhaps in some situational (third and long) packages.

I think he's just been beat out, which is sorta exciting at least for now.

Monster

Fapped to The Karate Kid Wearing a Mask
Reaction score
Finally!

Reaction score

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Mabin switched to the defensive side of the ball sometime last season, correct? He originally came to Iowa as a recruited WR didn't he?

We already know that King is really good, and if Mabin is as good as everyone seems to think Iowa is in a very good spot CB-wise. Hopefully Lomax meets his potential as well.

Gushawk

Reaction score
He switched after end of 12 season on KF's personal recommendation.

Reaction score
I can't think of a year that I've been this excited about BOTH sides of the ball. Depth may be an issue at certain positions, but that first string looks damn good.

There just don't seem to be a whole lot of glaring weaknesses in any unit. I suppose the unknowns could turn out to be dogshit. But right now, I'm pumped.

CamelTones

Reaction score
The Perry hurt angle seems off given that he's apparently been practicing some as the backup MLB behind Alston and perhaps in some situational (third and long) packages.

I think he's just been beat out, which is sorta exciting at least for now.
I believe Jewell was the one working some at middle.

douglasbader

Reaction score
Depth chart is released today and Bower confirmed as the starter.

douglasbader

Reaction score
The 2 - Deeps are out and it is officially game week. SHUT THIS THREAD DOWN!!!!