**2015 Iowa Hawkeye Football Season Thread**

Reaction score
Well, I do believe that Austin Blythe was vastly underrated this season and I think he's the best OC prospect in the country.

I feel the same way about HKC at TE too when it comes to other Big 10 TEs. He's made some clutch catches this season and really came on like Brandon Myers did back in 2008. I think he's a better blocker than Myers coming out of college though.

Swingin' Dick Stanzi

Dirty Cheat
Reaction score
While I realized that Kittle had been blocking well, I didn't realize that he was that good (best in the conference). With his athletic tools and being the only TE with significant experience next year, he could have a monster senior season and could really propel himself into a second day draft selection.

Eastside Ray Ray

Cleans his ass with toilet water
Reaction score
Blythe is going to be a HUGE loss next year. Cannot overstate how important an OC is on the offensive line.

nolookpass

Feels the Bern
Reaction score
overall the pass blocking by the o line was below average this year. Run blocking was great but pass blocking needs to improve next year for the Hawks to take the next step.

Gushawk

Likely a Russian Bot Account
Reaction score
During the BTTG, I found myself rooting for Myers to the bench and Croston to get a shot vs Calhoun. Myers getting consistently worked was where we lost the game, IMO.

FrodoTBaggin

Balding and Demands Accuracy
Reaction score
Wouldn't have mattered, Gus. Calhoun is a monster. And I don't think it was the difference in the game. Canzeri getting injured hurt us worse, imo.

Shawneemicks

Has said plenty of things dumber than this
Reaction score
Wouldn't have mattered, Gus. Calhoun is a monster. And I don't think it was the difference in the game. Canzeri getting injured hurt us worse, imo.
Yep, this was the difference in the game. If Canzeri doesn't get hurt, Iowa wins by double digits.

Monster

Fapped to The Karate Kid Wearing a Mask
Reaction score
During the BTTG, I found myself rooting for Myers to the bench and Croston to get a shot vs Calhoun. Myers getting consistently worked was where we lost the game, IMO.
Fro is correct. Plus, Iowa allowed Myers to go one on one with Calhoun way too often. No help. On a couple plays where they gave him some help I noticed Mitchell either going into his route early and running right by or completing whiffing.

howler

Totally Not a Spartan Fan
Reaction score
Had time to kill yesterday, so I checked out some of those Cowherd clips from the beginning of the week. That guy is seriously bitter and fucked up in the head. In one clip, he likens Iowa football to having a "fake ID," suggesting that Iowa's schedule has given the country a false impression of who they really are. Then on the same day and in another clip, he talks about how the Big Ten is the best conference in America, and that there is no difference between MSU, Iowa, and Ohio State.

Doosh.

The Dad

Legitimately bald forever and stupid looking
Reaction score
Fro is correct. Plus, Iowa allowed Myers to go one on one with Calhoun way too often. No help. On a couple plays where they gave him some help I noticed Mitchell either going into his route early and running right by or completing whiffing.
Coble should have chipped him when leaving the LOS too but it never happened.

Gushawk

Likely a Russian Bot Account
Reaction score
If your game plan is to not consistently help, then Myers clearly wasn't the guy for the task. I personally think Croston is tougher, especially mentally.

Reaction score
Its just now sinking in about how Iowa should have won that BTCG after watching the game highlights for about the 15th time. Just sucks

6deuce

Reformed Fatass
Reaction score
overall the pass blocking by the o line was below average this year. Run blocking was great but pass blocking needs to improve next year for the Hawks to take the next step.
Pass blocking on the outside...yes
Welsh and Walsh both sucked in pass protection too. Blythe wasn't the greatest either, but I'll give him a pass as the 2 guards fucked him a lot of the time.

Myers needs to improve greatly or see if he can move inside. He was awful most of the year.

Brownzy

Important Backpack Wearer
Reaction score
Its just now sinking in about how Iowa should have won that BTCG after watching the game highlights for about the 15th time. Just sucks
I went to the game and that was the most unsettling thing about watching the replay. I knew we were in it and probably should have won watching live, but seeing the replay you realize how easily we could have, and should have won.

Rematch in 2016 hopefully.

nolookpass

Feels the Bern
Reaction score
Run blocking must be much easier to coach them pass blocking. Or is it that you have to be a far superior athlete to pass block as opposed to run block? All the good offensive lineman Iowa sends the pros, all of them end up moving from tackle to guard

rodg12

Might not need to GFH
Reaction score
Run blocking must be much easier to coach them pass blocking. Or is it that you have to be a far superior athlete to pass block as opposed to run block? All the good offensive lineman Iowa sends the pros, all of them end up moving from tackle to guard
First round picks Riley Reiff and Bryan Bulaga say no.

ETA: Pass blocking definitely requires more athleticism than run blocking. Have to kick and slide as a pass blocker, going backwards, instead of just trucking forward as a run blocker.

Last edited:

Herky823

5 Shirt Larry
Reaction score
Yeah I should have said most of them seem to move inside.
I've always wondered if that was for the same reason a lot of college athletes played QB in high school. They were just the most talented player on the field so the team used them where they'd have the highest impact.

For guys like Scherff who (at least for the moment) have moved inside, it has always seemed to me that they played tackle at Iowa because they were the strongest/most athletic, but when you get to the pros *everyone* is as strong and athletic. At that point the measurables come into play (short arms!) and they move inside.

Who knows?*

*ISSD

Reaction score
Pass blocking on the outside...yes
Welsh and Walsh both sucked in pass protection too. Blythe wasn't the greatest either, but I'll give him a pass as the 2 guards fucked him a lot of the time.

Myers needs to improve greatly or see if he can move inside. He was awful most of the year.
I think there's a lot of exaggeration going on here.

As far as the MSU game, I also was wishing we would've given the tackles a little more help. All things considered though, they weren't that bad when you factor in the competition and amount of 1 on 1's.

Monster

Reaction score
I don't think it's an iowa think. Watch the draft results. More tackles get drafted than guards. NFL folks know you can always convert a tackle to guard if it doesn't work.

Monster

Reaction score
Pass blocking sucks, btw. The technique goes against all instincts of football. Instead of going forward full bore and knocking the shit out of someone, you race several steps backwards as quick as you can, sit in an imaginary chair, and wait for some big fucker to knock the shit out of you, hoping you can fend him off for 3 seconds until the QB throws the ball.

ivan_drago

Fiercely Advocated for Unlimited Transfers
Reaction score
Just finished a fun Christmas gift for my dad. Was able to get a PDF of the front page of the Register from Saturday after Nebrantska and blow it up to 16x20 and frame it.

If you'd have told me I'd be hanging that in his basement in September, I'd have asked you to kick me in the NUTS! LOL!

ivan_drago

Reaction score
Also, if the Register had any sense and wanted to print money, they'd get some goddamn Peach paper, print a commemorative page with the Hawks making the Rose Bowl, and sell it for 19.99.

ivan_drago

Reaction score
I can't get it to not be sideways, so suck it, Geese!

Wanderer

Stupid Fuck
Reaction score

Kerky

Does Not Return His Shopping Cart
Reaction score
i'm still waiting for my poster from the Gazette of the 12 game winner headlines.

Kerky

Does Not Return His Shopping Cart
Reaction score
i'm still waiting for my poster from the Gazette of the 12 game winner headlines.

Got it yesterday.

/csb, I know everyone was waiting to hear.

sergeanthulka

Is Frequently Requested at Local Karaoke Nights
Reaction score
He's a great kid & gave his heart & soul to be a great QB & leader here. His leaving made a clear path for CJ to emerge without having to look over his shoulder. We should never have wished him anything but the best in leaving.

I'm guessing him being somewhat serious & mature beyond his years endeared him more to the coaching staff, at times, than his teammates, but no one should have held that against him.