**2017-2018 Iowa Hawkeye Basketball Season Thread**

Slidewilly

Independent centrist moderate
Reaction score
This season definitely ranks near the top for level of disappointment. I'm going to go watch the game between West and Muscatine next Tuesday, looking for some encouragement.

Reaction score
Apparently Kakert posted that the feeling right now is Cook is going to sign with an agent and move on. I don’t have an account so can’t verify.
Here's what Kakert said in his lead on this topic: "As I've said, I think his first step he will be declaring for the NBA Draft in the coming weeks. Anything beyond that, unsure. The feeling right now is he might actually sign with an agent and just move on. Can always change based on feedback."

I don't claim to know how to read the marshmallow mind of Tom Kakert, but to borrow one of his favorite crutches, "my sense is" that in the comment about signing with an agent, he's relating the loose consensus among the brilliant Hawkeye press corps--so who knows whether there's any basis for that speculation.
That makes way more sense, given his recent activity on social media. He's been all about the NCAA needing to pay players and disapproving of the FBI stuff that broke last week (about athletes and their parents getting paid, in some cases meager amounts, by agents/coaches). That would also lead me to believe he's not going to elect to sit a year where he'd either improve his prospects or find a home in the G League.

The staff basically needs to convince him not to sign an agent until he gets his eval back, unless as Doug noted, he's out the door no matter what. Then just dress it up as best as you can and expand the list of grad transfers/jucos you're looking at offering.

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
I remember when Ricky declared early and many thought he was nuts and wouldn't get drafted and then the shock when he was taken #21 in the first round.

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
Apparently Kakert posted that the feeling right now is Cook is going to sign with an agent and move on. I don’t have an account so can’t verify.
Here's what Kakert said in his lead on this topic: "As I've said, I think his first step he will be declaring for the NBA Draft in the coming weeks. Anything beyond that, unsure. The feeling right now is he might actually sign with an agent and just move on. Can always change based on feedback."

I don't claim to know how to read the marshmallow mind of Tom Kakert, but to borrow one of his favorite crutches, "my sense is" that in the comment about signing with an agent, he's relating the loose consensus among the brilliant Hawkeye press corps--so who knows whether there's any basis for that speculation.
That makes way more sense, given his recent activity on social media. He's been all about the NCAA needing to pay players and disapproving of the FBI stuff that broke last week (about athletes and their parents getting paid, in some cases meager amounts, by agents/coaches). That would also lead me to believe he's not going to elect to sit a year where he'd either improve his prospects or find a home in the G League.

The staff basically needs to convince him not to sign an agent until he gets his eval back, unless as Doug noted, he's out the door no matter what. Then just dress it up as best as you can and expand the list of grad transfers/jucos you're looking at offering.
I'm guessing that seeing a guy he was really close to go #4 overall and making millions with the Celtics might be a factor in this.

Reaction score
fuck - just reading the last 5 pages of this thread and I’m ready for a 6 week break from Iowa basketball

BBK

THE GRINGOOOOO
Reaction score
I didn't realize that Cook has already turned 21. That probably adds weight to the idea that he won't want to sit out a year, but it may also increase his willingness to enter the draft even if his reviews aren't great.
Cook is 20. Turns 21 in September.

FrodoTBaggin

Balding and Demands Accuracy
Reaction score
Nunge needs to get stronger. He will with age. Does he really need to put in any more weight though? He came in way bigger that I expected nh
He's a fucking stick figure. Most of the team is. The fallacy of basketball players getting "too big" is antiquated. You have players with long, lean frames, they're never going to come out looking like body builders with all the cardio they put in. But they can come out looking jacked and being a lot stronger. 99% of the time, a player adding good weight will be nothing but a benefit. Nunge and Garza need to add at least 15 lbs going into next season. Jordan needs to add 10. Maishe needs to add at least 10. Moss needs too add 5-10 and learn how to dribble.

I'm tired of seeing soft, skinny players getting pushed around and awkwardly getting the ball taken from them like they are a high school girl. It happened countless times this year.

Don't put on weight! GTFO.

nolookpass

Feels the Bern
Reaction score
Bill Maxwell might be in trouble given the tone of what Fran was saying today. I think he had basketball when Alford was here, then got reassigned to Olympic sports under Lick, then took basketball back under Fran.

I don't know enough about assistant responsibilties to know what would be best. It would be ideal to add a defensive guy who can overhaul things like Michigan did. But I don't know how married Fran is to his concepts and if that's an option. If Francis were to leave you basically need to replace him with a young-ish black dude.
I hate to agree with @nolookpass but think they do need to change something up with the strength and conditioning.
I was loudly ridiculed in chat when I mentioned this early this year.

AZmessDAWG

Loved and Defended The Criminal Until the Bitter End
Reaction score
You also said Moss, but only Moss, doesn’t respond to Frans style of coaching.

Reaction score
You don't give a shit what happens to Cook? Or just temporarily relieved he won't be transferring? He's a huge piece on a team next year that is going to be much better.

In no other sport is the play of the home team elevated to such a degree so often. If you watched the opening minutes of Michigan State’s game at Iowa, the difference between the two teams was evident. This wasn’t MSU at Maryland or Indiana. This was MSU against Tyler Cook and a mid-major roster.

At Breslin, it’s a 30-point MSU win. Maybe 40. At Carver-Hawkeye Arena — even against the worst team Iowa’s assembled in some years — it’s a fight.
https://www.lansingstatejournal.com/story/sports/columnists/graham-couch/2018/02/06/couch-3-quick-takes-michigan-states-96-93-win-iowa/310911002/
Well that's dumb. By the way, Cook was 11-22 from the floor, 4-8 from the line and only had 3 boards in 37 fucking minutes that game.

Reaction score
Man, this season really sucked. Is there anything even comparable in recent memory?
I would say 2009-2010, but that season at least meant that Lick was gone.

I still think I hate the end of the 2014 season more than this. That team was really fucking good, but then Marble was banged up down the stretch, they lost a bunch of close games, McCabe became a national story and then Fran's kid got cancer and the NCAA selection committee made one of the most egregious errors matching the #22 and #11 KenPom teams against each other in a play in game.
But even that year we expected to suck. We did not expect to suck this year.
We were out of things so fast this year that I went numb to the disappointment pretty quick. On December 7th they were 4-6, 0-2 and were in a huge hole already. On January 7th they were 9-9, 0-5 and that was that.

The 2014 ending was brutal. You look back and that's the most talented Iowa team in a long damn time. To go from where they were and get stuck in the play-in game was an enormous kick in the nuts.

2016 at least got a fun tournament win so that probably puts it ahead of 2014 but that team's peak was probably higher than '14 because they were so much better defensively. Mid-February they were 20-5, 11-2, top 15 in offense and defense, Uthoff was consensus first team All-American and a trendy Final Four pick. Their collapse wasn't nearly as bad as '14 but they lose 4 out of 5 to finish, then the BTT, almost all close games. Went from being a 2/3 seed and possible Big Ten champs to a 7 seed in less than a month.

Thomas Wolsey

Likes Your Post
Reaction score
More about Mike Hlas, the National Enquirer of Iowa sports. From day 1 at the Gazette, he's taken petty cheap shots to be edgy or sound urbane (he's from Burlington btw) and often fails miserably attempting to be cute or funny. Without fail (well maybe not without fail, but way too often) he goes for the low hanging fruit and takes the lazy story, and despicably stirs pots about college kids that do not deserve to be stirred.

Admittedly, my disdain was accelerated during the 15 years I knew 2 of his co-workers well, but 95% remains substantive (exact opposite of Morehouse, whose work I rarely criticize). It was the co-workers who pointed out the Hawkeye hats in a far away airport stories on repeat for example. Pretty long list of other examples. No, actually a very long list.

Perhaps the best example of Hlas being journo scum was after Woody's second eyepoke at Wisconsin. That dick played up that story shamelessly for multiple days despite knowing damn well it was unwarranted. Then later in that week, when the hysteria got out of hand, he went on 1600 and had the gall to suggest people were overreacting and "everybody needs to settle down." That one fucking day after he started a column with this:

"Sometimes, people just find themselves in bizarre situations.

This Adam Woodbury/eye-poking saga isn’t tragic or criminal. But it is bizarre, and bizarre sells, so who am I to let it go without trying to milk it a little more before returning to actual basketball?"

Of course Woody didn't do it on purpose, and Hlas knew it, but who gives a fuck if the 21 year old kid suffers bails of unfair shit, Dakich mentioned me!

No surprise he went with this question of Cook, this column, or that Harty and Morehouse are circling the wagons around him. Fucking ghouls.
He is always trying to emulate a national reporter, always trying to have “perspective” and comes off like a whiny wanna-be bitch.

Billy Butters

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
I hope this was the last season we see Jordan play a majority of his minutes at PG. No matter how much he lifts he's always going to be shorter, slower and weaker than the opposing PG. That's a recipe for turnovers no matter how skilled a guy is.

If bohannon plays off the ball at least you give him more opportunities to get defenders running at him and use shot fakes to be able to drive. He looked good and made some great decisions in the very limited time he was off the ball. Connor has height and strength to overcome his lack of quickness and wants to get the ball moving. If we can clean up the turnovers and become a slightly better defensive team this thing can turnaround quick.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
Nunge needs to get stronger. He will with age. Does he really need to put in any more weight though? He came in way bigger that I expected nh
He's a fucking stick figure. Most of the team is. The fallacy of basketball players getting "too big" is antiquated. You have players with long, lean frames, they're never going to come out looking like body builders with all the cardio they put in. But they can come out looking jacked and being a lot stronger. 99% of the time, a player adding good weight will be nothing but a benefit. Nunge and Garza need to add at least 15 lbs going into next season. Jordan needs to add 10. Maishe needs to add at least 10. Moss needs too add 5-10 and learn how to dribble.

I'm tired of seeing soft, skinny players getting pushed around and awkwardly getting the ball taken from them like they are a high school girl. It happened countless times this year.

I didn’t mean to say that he doesn’t need to get bigger and stronger. I’m just saying that he came in bigger than I expected and young kids will have a baseline progression from their freshman year through their senior year in terms of getting bigger and stronger. I don’t think Nunge needs to completely re-shape his body or anything. even following the baseline will result in drastic improvement.

The key part of his improvement will be playing him at the correct position. I think he has a lot of shotblocking potential, I would rather see him play in the middle than at the small foreard position if we insist on getting him in the lineup with another power forward. Otherwise playing a stretch 4 is clearly his best fit.

Last edited:

Saul Berkley

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
I would say 2009-2010, but that season at least meant that Lick was gone.

I still think I hate the end of the 2014 season more than this. That team was really fucking good, but then Marble was banged up down the stretch, they lost a bunch of close games, McCabe became a national story and then Fran's kid got cancer and the NCAA selection committee made one of the most egregious errors matching the #22 and #11 KenPom teams against each other in a play in game.
We were out of things so fast this year that I went numb to the disappointment pretty quick. On December 7th they were 4-6, 0-2 and were in a huge hole already. On January 7th they were 9-9, 0-5 and that was that.

The 2014 ending was brutal. You look back and that's the most talented Iowa team in a long damn time. To go from where they were and get stuck in the play-in game was an enormous kick in the nuts.

2016 at least got a fun tournament win so that probably puts it ahead of 2014 but that team's peak was probably higher than '14 because they were so much better defensively. Mid-February they were 20-5, 11-2, top 15 in offense and defense, Uthoff was consensus first team All-American and a trendy Final Four pick. Their collapse wasn't nearly as bad as '14 but they lose 4 out of 5 to finish, then the BTT, almost all close games. Went from being a 2/3 seed and possible Big Ten champs to a 7 seed in less than a month.
I honestly thought they were going to win the BIG in 2016. Fuck me for thinking that.

The complete collapse of the 2014 season and the disappointing finish in 2016 made many have a bad view of otherwise solid seasons. I think not having one of those two seasons end up as a Sweet 16 type year really hurt Fran and this program. The opportunity was there (really 3 years in a row) and they couldn't capitalize. Fuck that hurts.

Now, two years later and we are basically back to the Lick level results. Granted, the future looks brighter than it ever did under Lick but the next couple years are really important. Fran and this program have to deliver.

rodg12

Might not need to GFH
Reaction score

I honestly thought they were going to win the BIG in 2016. Fuck me for thinking that.

The complete collapse of the 2014 season and the disappointing finish in 2016 made many have a bad view of otherwise solid seasons. I think not having one of those two seasons end up as a Sweet 16 type year really hurt Fran and this program. The opportunity was there (really 3 years in a row) and they couldn't capitalize. Fuck that hurts.

Now, two years later and we are basically back to the Lick level results. Granted, the future looks brighter than it ever did under Lick but the next couple years are really important. Fran and this program have to deliver.
Yeah, '14 and '16 hurt much worse than this year. Was easy to see the fatal flaws on this roster as soon as Big Ten play started and know we were going to suck. '14 and '16 were gut punches.

Shpadoinkle

Tagline-havin' son of a bitch
Reaction score
If you're worried about players putting on too much weight, go watch some youtube videos of any Dr. Tom team. Those guys played an up and down style and most of those dudes were jacked.

fuisu98

Asp Wielder
Reaction score
Honest question: is Howler the worst basketball poster on this board?

Shpadoinkle

Tagline-havin' son of a bitch
Reaction score
The NCAA tourney is bar none my favorite sporting event of them all when Iowa is involved. I should be used to it by now, but without Iowa or a Cinderella Drake or UNI, my interest will be pretty tepid.

So this season will be the gift that keeps on giving for a while.

Hawk_Kegmasters

Saw Spice World in Theaters
Reaction score
The NCAA tourney is bar none my favorite sporting event of them all when Iowa is involved. I should be used to it by now, but without Iowa or a Cinderella Drake or UNI, my interest will be pretty tepid.

So this season will be the gift that keeps on giving for a while.
My favorite sports event of the year as well, but my interest will still be high. I’m used to Iowa not playing Thursday and Friday by now, as sad as that sounds. @cjhawks @Costanza @brantshawks @otherfaggotswhowanttomeatupandwatchthetourneythatday

Last edited:

Geese

LOVES Chris Williams
Reaction score
I'm so fucking sick of not being involved in March situations

Reaction score

I'm guessing that seeing a guy he was really close to go #4 overall and making millions with the Celtics might be a factor in this.

WCFHawkeye

actually likes the XFL
Reaction score
Yesterday was March 1st and Iowa played.

Minnesota and Illinois didn't play in March which is nice.

BBK

THE GRINGOOOOO
Reaction score

You mad?

Berzerkenpas

Desperately Wants a Mod-Edited Tag Line
Reaction score

my inference is that the Mel experiment convinced Fran of his 80s-90s biases for players not to "get too big." Meanwhile, MSU trots out a roster every year full of kids who can get up and down the floor, and push Iowa's kids around (except for a r'd up McCabe).

what everyone else has said. defense and strength need change....

Talkin' Goat

Lothario
Reaction score
Biggest concern about this team is defense. bohannon is better than I ever would have guessed offensively, but the other PG gonna get by him regularly. Hoping Cook and Garza can help when needed.
RATT from October 17, 2017!

:(

(I would recommend not reading the early pages of this thread.)