2018 Football Recruiting

Mo T

Carnie Profiler
Reaction score
When he lost a recruit to Iowa State, especially with a last minute push to get him, I think that signaled the beginning of the end.

Reaction score
It's a real joy watching Harbaugh consistently fail at Michigan.
10-3, 10-3, 8-5 isn't exactly failing. Maybe not living up to fan's expectations. (Nebrantska syndrome)
From the article:
Michigan signed 56 players from 2016-17 and the bulk of that group, which featured three 5-stars and 31 4-stars, will be back next season.
Nearly 2/3 of two giant classes were 4 & 5 stars. Ridiculous.

OlePeep

The Conductor
Reaction score
I don't like to speak unkindly about 18 yr old kids. I will pass along that a HS HC I know who faced the Klemp kid feels the scholarship offer might have been better used elsewhere.

Reaction score
I don't like to speak unkindly about 18 yr old kids. I will pass along that a HS HC I know who faced the Klemp kid feels the scholarship offer might have been better used elsewhere.
I'm sure you could find at least a couple coaches that would say that about most kids that are 3 stars or less.

Reaction score
I'm sure you could find at least a couple coaches that would say that about most kids that are 3 stars or less.
I thought his tape looked similar to many of the walk-on LBs. He is taller(6'3") than most of those guys which is likely what got him over the hump for an offer.

For the record, I really like this LB walk-on class so that shouldn't be taken as an insult of his abilities.

OlePeep

The Conductor
Reaction score
probably, but in this particular instance he was rather vehement.

Reaction score
Love the large walk-on class. If you can find some diamonds in the rough while risking nothing, why wouldn't you do it? The success of the walk-on program at Iowa is an advantage Ferentz has over several other programs in the league, so leveraging it fully makes sense.

I'd bet several of the walk-ons who don't break the two-deeps early on end up transferring to NDSU. The Iowa staff definitely has an information-sharing agreement of some sort in place with the Bison staff.

Bob

Reaction score
10-3, 10-3, 8-5 isn't exactly failing. Maybe not living up to fan's expectations. (Nebrantska syndrome)
From the article:
Michigan signed 56 players from 2016-17 and the bulk of that group, which featured three 5-stars and 31 4-stars, will be back next season.
Nearly 2/3 of two giant classes were 4 & 5 stars. Ridiculous.
They're off to a really good start for 2019 too. This year seems like an anomaly for recruiting, and while then "only" winning 8 games this year was funny, it also a year after they lost basically the entire defense to the NFL. I think any reasonable person expected them to be rebuilding a bit. Harbaugh will be fine

StinkyMcFadden

She/Her
Reaction score
I'm guessing he didn't take care of the financial future of his family as well as he could have.

hawkeyealum

Subscribes to Playboy for the articles
Reaction score
Alabama ranks 12 on the Rivals team rankings. First time since 2007 they haven't been in the top 5

They have been ranked #1 six of the last seven years. That's absurd.

Bob

Reaction score
I'm guessing he didn't take care of the financial future of his family as well as he could have.
Story I've seen is that she wanted him to go out of state because he has a lot of friends in gangs or something. She had Bama and Tennessee gear so it seems like she just really didn't want him at Florida specifically for some reason

Wanderer

Stupid Fuck
Reaction score
Because of ability or attitude?
ability. Says his team mauled the kid. And he's an honest guy, has had high praise for other Hawks he's coached against, is a big Hawks fan
OK, so your buddy says his team mauled Klemp. Here's the roster for Klemp's team, which went 8-2, so didn't get beat very much. If the sizes of these kids are the same as the teams that played them, I can't imagine he got his ass kicked very much. The only one on his own team that would possibly kick his ass is Jacob Dilley (guessing headed to Iowa State based on his name) and he's probably a fat ass.

http://www.maxpreps.com/high-schools/south-hamilton-hawks-(jewell,ia)/football/roster.htm

I wouldn't know the guy if he was sitting in my office, but guys that even sniff a D1 offer don't typically get "mauled" by guys from West Central Valley, Eagle Grove, South Hardon, etc.

Revolver

Will Ruin Your Thread and Crush Your Dreams
Reaction score
Story I've seen is that she wanted him to go out of state because he has a lot of friends in gangs or something. She had Bama and Tennessee gear so it seems like she just really didn't want him at Florida specifically for some reason
That sucks if true.

Jimmie Dimmick

Dog Crap Litterer
Reaction score
Gainesville is a shit hole and momma knows this

eclone

Former VEISHEA Exec Committee Member
Reaction score
Ferentz loves recruiting he claims

I fully believe that his favorite part of recruiting is sitting in old high school coach/PE Teacher offices shooting the shit. (and not at all constantly texting 17 year old snowflakes)

Reaction score
No. Gainesville is a pretty amazing city. Outside of Vandy, it is probably the best school in the SEC academically as well.

BuffettHawk

Useless
Reaction score
No. Gainesville is a pretty amazing city. Outside of Vandy, it is probably the best school in the SEC academically as well.
Toughest guy in Ankeny...

:icon_wink:

hawkeyealum

Subscribes to Playboy for the articles
Reaction score
Athens

Reaction score

My son is looking at schools now and I was very surprised by their standards. They're far more selective than an Iowa or Iowa State. You're looking at 1350+ or 28+ on ACT with 3.75+ to have even better than 50% chance of admission.

Avg GPA of Freshman admitted this last year was 4.1.

BuffettHawk

Useless
Reaction score

My son is looking at schools now and I was very surprised by their standards. They're far more selective than an Iowa or Iowa State. You're looking at 1350+ or 28+ on ACT with 3.75+ to have even better than 50% chance of admission.

I’m aware Florida is a good school. I was making a crack about their competition.

wondergrape

Has Bad Hair
Reaction score

Sure, but this is true of Ohio State as well. Even more so, actually. High admission standards don't necessarily indicate top tier academics, it just means that lots of people want to go there.

Reaction score

I’m aware Florida is a good school. I was making a crack about their competition.
I'll be honest-I was genuinely surprised. I didn't think it was a top 40 type of school.

All this is gettin away from the more important point: @Jimmie Dimmick is crazy-Gainesville is a great city.

Last edited:
Reaction score
It’s been well-known as a competitive school. Alabama has parlayed it’s football success into becoming a much more highly regarded school as well.

Talkin' Goat

Lothario
Reaction score
It’s been well-known as a competitive school. Alabama has parlayed it’s football success into becoming a much more highly regarded school as well.
If true, that’s actually pretty impressive. The university being located in the state of Alabama is not exactly a big draw.

Talkin' Goat

Lothario
Reaction score

Stomper15

Not A TOR Poster
Reaction score
Jayden McDonald appears to be from a really/good supportive family. That's a fine lookin' cake.

For those in the know -- for these types of signing ceremonies, does Iowa provide everything except for the sweets? Or does the family do everything on their own to show support (balloons, pins, helmet etc.)?

Hawk&Balls

NOT a member
Reaction score
Jayden McDonald appears to be from a really/good supportive family. That's a fine lookin' cake.

For those in the know -- for these types of signing ceremonies, does Iowa provide everything except for the sweets? Or does the family do everything on their own to show support (balloons, pins, helmet etc.)?
I’m guessing it’s all on their own. We have some kids that do decent things for their signings and none of it comes from us.

CUIHAWK

Loves the clock
Reaction score
Because of ability or attitude?
ability. Says his team mauled the kid. And he's an honest guy, has had high praise for other Hawks he's coached against, is a big Hawks fan
OK, so your buddy says his team mauled Klemp. Here's the roster for Klemp's team, which went 8-2, so didn't get beat very much. If the sizes of these kids are the same as the teams that played them, I can't imagine he got his ass kicked very much. The only one on his own team that would possibly kick his ass is Jacob Dilley (guessing headed to Iowa State based on his name) and he's probably a fat ass.

http://www.maxpreps.com/high-schools/south-hamilton-hawks-(jewell,ia)/football/roster.htm

I wouldn't know the guy if he was sitting in my office, but guys that even sniff a D1 offer don't typically get "mauled" by guys from West Central Valley, Eagle Grove, South Hardon, etc.
I"m guessing it's a van meter coach. Didn't they win state?

Reaction score

I’m guessing it’s all on their own. We have some kids that do decent things for their signings and none of it comes from us.
Correct.

Reaction score

I"m guessing it's a van meter coach. Didn't they win state?
Yes.