***2019-2020 Iowa Basketball Season Thread***

Lee Beevers

They/Them
Reaction score
Think about it. Packed houses at Carver. A whole offseason of Garzamania. People wearing giant brows like Harden's beard.

Worth every penny. Pay that man his money.
A last year in school vs 50k in the G league or maybe 100K in europe? He really needs to come back.

Reactions: BBK

HawkBall23

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Top 10 preseason if luka comes back.
Depending on how this year ends, I could easily see the Hawks being a Top 5 preseason team next year* and picked to either win the B10 or finish in a tie with someone like MSU or Maryland.

*(of course this assumes everyone comes back and everyone is healthy)

Reaction score
If Garza does come back next year, it'll be the highest expectations we've had for a team in my lifetime.

Even if he doesn't we are going to be very good next year.
'02 is the highest I can remember, when Recker and Evans came back. Preaseason #9, ended up in the NIT. Other notable ones...
'98: 15th. Ended up in the NIT.
'96: 8th. Ended up 21st. 6 seed, beat GW with that comeback win then lost to Arizona in 2nd round.
'93: 11th. Finished 13th. 4 seed, lost to Rodney Rodgers and Wake Forest 2nd round.
'89: 7th. Finished 14th. 4 seed, lost to NC State 2nd round.
'88: 11th. Finished 17th. 5 seed, lost to Arizona in Sweet 16.
'87: 10th. Finished 6th. 2 seed, lost to UNLV in Elite 8.

BBK

THE GRINGOOOOO
Reaction score
'02 is the highest I can remember, when Recker and Evans came back. Preaseason #9, ended up in the NIT. Other notable ones...
'96: 8th. Ended up 21st. 6 seed, beat GW with that comeback win then lost to Arizona in 2nd round.
'93: 11th. Finished 13th. 4 seed, lost to Rodney Rodgers and Wake Forest 2nd round.
I'll be damned if ol Hiawatha ain't the best basketball poster here.

Fuck you Doug, my tall faggoty friend.

BBK

THE GRINGOOOOO
Reaction score
This is also evidence of the greatness that was Dr. Tom. He couldn't recruit for shit but coached his ass off.

Reaction score

Fletch

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score

• GFY

Fletch

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score

Since Alford took over in '99, we've only been ranked in the preseason two times. 9th in '02, 20th in '06. Holy shit.
This will also be 7 out of last 8 years where Iowa is .500 or better in the league. That’s amazing.

Reaction score
Meaning in my memory in terms of expectations, not on record. I was 5 and 12 when the other two seasons began. I remember players and some games from '96, especially that George Washington comeback but not a good enough sense of preseason buzz.

'02 was crazy. I remember Recker and Evans having a press conference to announce they were coming back. The scrimmages before football games were packed. Exhibition games and cupcakes were all sold out. They blared "Who let the Hawks out?!"

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
Meaning in my memory in terms of expectations, not on record. I was 5 and 12 when the other two seasons began. I remember players and some games from '96, especially that George Washington comeback but not a good enough sense of preseason
buzz.

'02 was crazy. I remember Recker and Evans having a press conference to announce they were coming back. The scrimmages before football games were packed. Exhibition games and cupcakes were all sold out. They blared "Who let the Hawks out?!"
pretty sure season tickets sold out even the year before that. Who let the hawks out was midnight madness 2000. So awkward that I remember.

Jim

Enjoys Birding
Reaction score
pretty sure season tickets sold out even the year before that. Who let the hawks out was midnight madness 2000. So awkward that I remember.
I thought it was fun, but that’s also because I had kids with me. Wait, 2000? Oldest was sperm or as NLP likes to say, a full grown toddler.

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
I assume Fran will put together a non conference schedule similar to this years. With they hype the team is going to have they're probably looking at someone like Louisville at home in the Douche-ACC challenge and one of the top teams in the Big East in the Gavitt games on the road.

UNI will not be on the schedule.

IowaWigman

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
I remember Alford talking the Hawks Nest committee about wanting to introduce that song and “instead of saying dogs, let’s say who let the Hawks out!”

He thought it was brilliant and most of us just cringed. I was just happy to get a basketball autographed by the coaching staff. I was convinced it would be a prized possession at some point. I think I tossed them in the garbage a few years ago.

CamelTones

Reaction score
I remember Alford talking the Hawks Nest committee about wanting to introduce that song and “instead of saying dogs, let’s say who let the Hawks out!”

He thought it was brilliant and most of us just cringed. I was just happy to get a basketball autographed by the coaching staff. I was convinced it would be a prized possession at some point. I think I tossed them in the garbage a few years ago.
Right after he made mention of it they played the song, he had the mic, and was trying to get people to join him in singing it. Half the arena sat there in complete confusion. They tried to force it before every game and it never worked.

KitKatApples

NW Season Ticket Holder (except IA games)
Reaction score
I mean it can't be healthy to eat a burrito that big anyway

Thomas Wolsey

Likes Your Post
Reaction score
Surprised it didn’t work didn’t work though. Now you got all the dumb mother fuckers participating the in the gayest in game marketing ploy ever...the burrito lift. I cringe every time.
It is like a dad joke that I keep telling until everyone starts laughing. Or at least I laugh, and thats what matters according to @Herky823 .

Berzerkenpas

Desperately Wants a Mod-Edited Tag Line
Reaction score
This is also evidence of the greatness that was Dr. Tom. He couldn't recruit for shit but coached his ass off.
Bullard
Thompson (fuck you, Hunter Rawlings)
Moses and yes, Webb, were top 100 that Dr. Tom got away from the Pac 10
Murray
Settles
Kingsbury
Woolridge
Davis
Oliver
Range

Millard and Koch were low top 150, Barnes could play.

People focus on his disasters like Ramos, Gomes, Helmers, Robinson, Chime, Bullet, and Lusk, but Dr. Tom could land some talent -- a better recruiter, really, than Alfraud. Arguably better than Fran, as well.

sergeanthulka

Is Frequently Requested at Local Karaoke Nights
Reaction score
Paul Lusk ended up transferring & being really good, iirc...but I agree with your overall point. He also made a lot of overlooked guys into really solid players, too.

CamelTones

Reaction score
Most of Davis’ being a ‘lazy recruiter’ is because he didn’t get LaFrentz and he actually recruited Troy Skinner.

Revolver

Will Ruin Your Thread and Crush Your Dreams
Reaction score
I assume Fran will put together a non conference schedule similar to this years. With they hype the team is going to have they're probably looking at someone like Louisville at home in the Douche-ACC challenge and one of the top teams in the Big East in the Gavitt games on the road.

I always thought they did it by conference finish the year before, but as you all know, I’ve always been a moron.

Revolver

Will Ruin Your Thread and Crush Your Dreams
Reaction score
Surprised it didn’t work didn’t work though. Now you got all the dumb mother fuckers participating the in the gayest in game marketing ploy ever...the burrito lift. I cringe every time.
The Delta Dental Smile cam is 10,000 times worse than the Burrito Lift IMO.

HawkBall23

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score

I could see a roadie @ any of Creighton, Marquette, Xavier or Butler next year, keeping them in the region. (not that either of those teams will be expected to do very well - without checking who they lose)

TurdBurgler

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
The '98 season is 97-98, which is a year I basically have no memory of. The Ricky Davis year. 98-99 was my first favorite Hawk team, Dr. Tom's last season where they made the sweet sixteen.

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
The '98 season is 97-98, which is a year I basically have no memory of. The Ricky Davis year. 98-99 was my first favorite Hawk team, Dr. Tom's last season where they made the sweet sixteen.

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
The 1997-1998 team had 5 guys that either played in the NBA or were drafted by the NBA and they only went to the NIT and lost.

Berzerkenpas

Desperately Wants a Mod-Edited Tag Line
Reaction score
The 1997-1998 team had 5 guys that either played in the NBA or were drafted by the NBA and they only went to the NIT and lost.
Oliver too raw; Davis too raw and flaky; Rucker regressing; Bowen absolutely solid; Koch still at project stage.

Darryl Moore as your starting power forward.

And the bench was pretty horrific.

CamelTones

Reaction score
Oliver too raw; Davis too raw and flaky; Rucker regressing; Bowen absolutely solid; Koch still at project stage.

Darryl Moore as your starting power forward.

And the bench was pretty horrific.
And they played a horrific non conference schedule. Were ranked as high as 10th in the country on January 20th according to this.