***2019-2020 Iowa Basketball Season Thread***

Stu Beagle

Has Tiny Onions
Reaction score
I somehow stumbled across Riley Till's Mom's twitter the other day (I think she does BTN work for Womens bball?)...anyway, her entire twitter timeline is George Kittle. I had to scroll forever to find something not related to GK. It's a little weird.
why is that weird?
back in my day, if you wanted to fuck somebody the same as your kid your were a little more discreet about it

Jimmie Dimmick

Dog Crap Litterer
Reaction score
I somehow stumbled across Riley Till's Mom's twitter the other day (I think she does BTN work for Womens bball?)...anyway, her entire twitter timeline is George Kittle. I had to scroll forever to find something not related to GK. It's a little weird.
why is that weird?
back in my day, if you wanted to fuck somebody the same as your kid your were a little more discreet about it
her SIL is a very successful and famous person

there may not be more media around another player right now not named Antonio Brown

Reaction score
because they said he missed the game due to illness, and then traveled to an NFL game
Who cares.

Iowa Fan will try to ruin everything.
im guessing there’s a reasonable explanation, but I’d say its a completely fair question to ask. It’s pretty odd.
You posted this over there...
agree that it is odd, but I am guessing there is an explanation. Like for example,he was probably sick Thursday and Friday so we couldn’t travel, and then maybe felt better on Sunday and cleared it with Fran.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
Who cares.

Iowa Fan will try to ruin everything.
im guessing there’s a reasonable explanation, but I’d say its a completely fair question to ask. It’s pretty odd.
You posted this over there...
agree that it is odd, but I am guessing there is an explanation. Like for example,he was probably sick Thursday and Friday so we couldn’t travel, and then maybe felt better on Sunday and cleared it with Fran.
that was just an educated guess. I have no idea.

Reaction score
It means shit, but Lunardi has Iowa a 6 seed in St. Louis. I’d take that.

HawkBall23

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
The injury/illness bug infestation this season really fucking sucks because once the standings start shaping up by the end of the month, going into February, possibly the 3rd spot, definitely the 4th or 5th, in the B10 is wide open this year even as tough as it is as a whole.

With a healthy CJF the past two games and on-going from that point, the Hawks are currently 3-1 & right in the thick of this bitch.

Berzerkenpas

Desperately Wants a Mod-Edited Tag Line
Reaction score
short of joe t turning into kyrie by february, this one is done

keep garza happy and back for next year

then whoop a whole bunch of 20-21 ass

Debit One

Chad
Reaction score
short of joe t turning into kyrie by february, this one is done

keep garza happy and back for next year

then whoop a whole bunch of 20-21 ass
Sadly, I agree.

Without CJ this team has to play really well to compete.

Thomas Wolsey

Likes Your Post
Reaction score
Sadly, I agree.

Without CJ this team has to play really well to compete.
I have been really encouraged by his ability to finish at his size. He just needs to be a respectable shooter, and that probably won’t happen this year.

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
I disagree with everyone that thinks this season is done. If CJ is back by February, then they just need to keep their heads above water the next 3 weeks.

They're not going to shoot 4-33 from 3 again. Fran also knows what his team looks like now after that Nebrantska game and can make adjustments. They really just need to avoid losing to Northwestern.

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
If Iowa makes the NCAA Tournament and everyone is back healthy, will be interesting to see what Fran does and how he manages everything with playing time. I actually hope he brings Nunge off the bench in the Kreiner role and continues to go with a 4 guard lineup as starters.

bohannon / Toussaint / Ulis
Fredrick / Perkins
Wieskamp / Patrick / Murray Twins
Connor / Nunge
Garza / British kid

Pemsl either moves on or gets the Dom Uhl treatment. Murray Twins can redshirt. The other 3 freshman play as needed.

That would still give Iowa a main 8 man rotation and the three freshman can be players 9, 10 and 11.

It looks bad on paper when you see there are as of now 14 or 15 guys, but it can be pretty easily managed. I also think this year will force Fran into learning that a 8 man rotation is the way to go.

Alan Lomax

has listened to a podcast about this thread.
Reaction score
If Iowa makes the NCAA Tournament and everyone is back healthy, will be interesting to see what Fran does and how he manages everything with playing time. I actually hope he brings Nunge off the bench in the Kreiner role and continues to go with a 4 guard lineup as starters.

Fredrick / Perkins
Connor / Nunge
Garza / British kid

Pemsl either moves on or gets the Dom Uhl treatment. Murray Twins can redshirt. The other 3 freshman play as needed.

That would still give Iowa a main 8 man rotation and the three freshman can be players 9, 10 and 11.

It looks bad on paper when you see there are as of now 14 or 15 guys, but it can be pretty easily managed. I also think this year will force Fran into learning that a 8 man rotation is the way to go.

LOVE your optimism on that one!

douglasbader

Reaction score
Next year has the chance to be the best Iowa team since 1986-1987.

Fletch

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Next year has the chance to be the best Iowa team since 1986-1987.
Agreed. They will be nearly impossible to guard with Garza and three great shooters around him. If they continue to improve on defense, they will be a legitimate threat to play in early April.

HerkyHopeful

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score

Fredrick / Perkins
Connor / Nunge
Garza / British kid

I think that's a great point. I still believe Nunge can be a huge asset, and I'm sure there will be matchups when they need him playing with Garza, but having four guys who can handle the ball makes them so much more dynamic. And gives Garza space. It's a breath of fresh air from recent teams which had few options as ballhandlers who could also penetrate.

Creed

Wears Adult-Sized Underoos
Reaction score
I think I prefer Nunge as the backup 5 behind Garza. Get him in before the under 12 timeout and bring Garza back in at the under 8 timeout in each half. Not sure what the big freshman guy will bring next year to backup Luka.

That leaves some questions at the 4 but maybe Connor, JoeW and Patrick can split the 3 and 4.

Hawkstrat

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
bohannon's usage will be interesting, particularly if Ulis is ready to go. Fran could really go with some guard heavy lineups.

Geese

LOVES Chris Williams
Reaction score
I'd rather have Cougill than Pemsl

Stu Beagle

Has Tiny Onions
Reaction score
Random thought.... I never see Kirk at Carver anymore. I think last time I saw him there was with Epenesa like 4 years ago

douglasbader

Reaction score
Random thought.... I never see Kirk at Carver anymore. I think last time I saw him there was with Epenesa like 4 years ago
Early signing. No need to go as the class is pretty much wrapped up in the summer and signed in December.

He used to have to be there throughout January and early February with recruits for February signing day.

CamelTones

Reaction score
I assume they don’t take recruits there anymore because no students show up. Also, I was sitting in like row 34 during one of the Criminals years and Kirk sat down right next to me. For the next 30 minutes everyone and their dogs walked down to introduce themselves. I imagine that is annoying as shit. I’d stay home too.

Jim

Enjoys Birding
Reaction score
I once sat next to Kirk and Mary up in row 20 something and Tyler Sash was sitting court side. I don’t know why, but I thought that was funny.

douglasbader

Reaction score
Did all of the Iowa beat writers get together today and decide they were going to whine about Iowa not playing UNI or Drake anymore? How fucking stupid can they be?

Reactions: BBK

Jim

Enjoys Birding
Reaction score
No, Pat, that would be stupid. Fuck off.
Mother fucker. This is where I sort of wish we had an AD who was on twitter and tell him why that doesn’t logistically work you stupid cocksucker. Iowa had a top 15(?) non-conference schedule and people are bitching. God damn.

douglasbader

Reaction score
Mother fucker. This is where I sort of wish we had an AD who was on twitter and tell him why that doesn’t logistically work you stupid cocksucker. Iowa had a top 15(?) non-conference schedule and people are bitching. God damn.
Even if they didn't have a Top 15 schedule I wouldn't want to play them. Iowa is never going to play at UNI or Drake again. Neutral site isn't worth it, so that means a home game full of Iowa kids playing out of their minds.

Maybe that is some pussy thinking, but I would rather play a neutral site game like they did against Colorado or similar team. There is way more upside in a game like that.

douglasbader

Reaction score
I'll never understand a lot of people's fascination with having to play UNI/Drake in basketball and Iowa State in football.

Very very few if any P5 schools are beholden to play inferior in-state out of conference programs. I think playing Iowa State in basketball makes sense. They are a P5 school that has historical success. It makes sense for both programs and in basketball you get 30+ games.

UNI and Drake make no sense in basketball. Zero upside and easily replaced with much better options.

Iowa State in football makes even less sense. Even though they are a P5 program, they are a historically inferior program and lock Iowa out of ever playing another P5 non-conference program.

Missouri isn't forced to play St. Louis in basketball. Illinois isn't forced to play any number of Illinois based non-conference schools. Nebrantska doesn't have to play UNO.

Fuck people like Pat Farty with some stupid nostalgic notion of these games.

Thomas Wolsey

Likes Your Post
Reaction score
Even if they didn't have a Top 15 schedule I wouldn't want to play them. Iowa is never going to play at UNI or Drake again. Neutral site isn't worth it, so that means a home game full of Iowa kids playing out of their minds.

Maybe that is some pussy thinking, but I would rather play a neutral site game like they did against Colorado or similar team. There is way more upside in a game like that.
like football, it is nice to play some decent schools you don’t play much. I would rather play pretty much any top 150 team other than UNI or drake.

CamelTones

Reaction score
Using Kennesaw State as an example shows how dumb they are. It’s the only game the team gets after Christmas break and the start of conference play. They are going to play a terrible opponent to get them back into game mode.

I believe 2 of the shitty games were given to them by the Vegas tournament. That leaves about 1 game.

Iowa played UNI last year and beat the ever living shit out of them. This only comes up when UNI is having a good year.

And if we’re being completely honest, Drake is what fucks the whole thing up.

douglasbader

Reaction score
Using Kennesaw State as an example shows how dumb they are. It’s the only game the team gets after Christmas break and the start of conference play. They are going to play a terrible opponent to get them back into game mode.

I believe 2 of the shitty games were given to them by the Vegas tournament. That leaves about 1 game.

Iowa played UNI last year and beat the ever living shit out of them. This only comes up when UNI is having a good year.

And if we’re being completely honest, Drake is what fucks the whole thing up.
It makes me so happy that Fran has the exact opposite view on UNI/Drake that Kirk has on Iowa State.

Fran doesn't give a fuck about helping the little in-state guys. Fuck em.

Shpadoinkle

Tagline-havin' son of a bitch
Reaction score
I’d be fine playing Drake and UNI from time to time, but ONLY in Iowa City.