***2019-2020 Iowa Basketball Season Thread***

CurdMan

TurdMan DDS
Reaction score
I’d be fine playing Drake and UNI from time to time, but ONLY in Iowa City.
Meh. It just doesn’t do anything at all for Iowa besides maybe selling a few more tickets. As Doug mentioned, you’re playing a group of in state guys coming in pissed off with something to prove against the school that spurned them. If Iowa is scheduling a middle of the pack NET team, might as well not schedule the ones with personal vendettas against you

Reaction score
If he isn’t doing much in practice I think he will likely miss Friday as well or at most be available a couple minutes here and there.

KitKatApples

NW Season Ticket Holder (except IA games)
Reaction score
I assumed he wouldn't be back till February

Soda Popinski

Kelly Hilpiper
Reaction score
Pharty sure is a dumbfuck for as abrasive he is to fans on Twitter.

Reaction score
Confusing, I thought the Cyclones had one of the greatest players in the country. Are we sure this is the actual ranking? I don't see an Iowa State player on there.

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
Confusing, I thought the Cyclones had one of the greatest players in the country. Are we sure this is the actual ranking? I don't see an Iowa State player on there.
No need to give @eclone shit in this thread. He is a good man that makes a lot of good and informative posts. We should keep the shitting on him to the ISU threads.

eclone

Former VEISHEA Exec Committee Member
Reaction score
There’s little doubt that one is having the better season. There’s also little doubt that the other will be a much higher draft pick. (Although I still stand by my guess that this is Garza’s last year at Iowa) It’s not a zero sum game, they’re both excellent basketball players.

Bob

Reaction score
Haliburton is good and he's probably going to be a lottery pick at this point (in what is admittedly the worst draft in a long time). There are so many actual bad things about Iowa State you could make fun of instead!

Thomas Wolsey

Likes Your Post
Reaction score
Haliburton is good and he's probably going to be a lottery pick at this point. There are so many actual bad things about Iowa State you could make fun of instead!
Like the rest of the team and their chapstick eating coach!!!

Vacations at the Wisconsin Dells
Reaction score
Garza's development makes Xavier Foster look even dumber for choosing ISU.

Hopefully Fredrick is feeling ok, he's crucial to hopes for an NCAA tournament appearance
Barring any flukes, CJ should finish out the season no problem. I'm really hoping for that NCAA appearance, I'm planning on going to their first and second games in the tourney.

Stu Beagle

Has Tiny Onions
Reaction score
Yeah I am feeling less confident about Garza coming back. If he continues at this pace there is really nothing more for him to prove by coming back

Bunk

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
I'm not a NBA mind, but does Garza's current game teanslate well for that level? Doesn't he need to be more of an outside threat? Yes he shoots some threes, but is it enough? Or do people speculate he will skip his senior year for Europe?

Reaction score
Insider Info here!1!1!!!!1 A buddy of mine is friends with an NBA exec. He got drunk and called him the other night asking about Garza and he said there is a 0.0% chance he ever gets drafted and he is a dinosaur. Not like this isn't something we all know but his game just doesn't translate to today's NBA.

If that isn't a csb, I don't know what is.

Bob

Reaction score
I'm not a NBA mind, but does Garza's current game teanslate well for that level? Doesn't he need to be more of an outside threat? Yes he shoots some threes, but is it enough? Or do people speculate he will skip his senior year for Europe?
The defense is a bigger issue but yes he's a terrible fit for the modern NBA. He isn't athletic enough to switch onto smaller guys and would get pick and rolled to death if he tried, and he doesn't protect the rim well enough to play drop coverage the way a lot of teams are trying to now to hide slower bigs like Brook Lopez.

On the other hand he's not going to get appreciably faster or more athletic with another year of college so if he wants to jump while his stock is the highest it will ever be, take his shot at the NBA, and then go make a bunch of money playing in the Adriatic League I think that's a reasonable decision.

Last edited:

TJones3312

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Insider Info here!1!1!!!!1 A buddy of mine is friends with an NBA exec. He got drunk and called him the other night asking about Garza and he said there is a 0.0% chance he ever gets drafted and he is a dinosaur. Not like this isn't something we all know but his game just doesn't translate to today's NBA.

If that isn't a csb, I don't know what is.
CM? I think it was more of Luka going overseas not the nba.

douglasbader

Reaction score
This is all so fucking dumb. I hate that every decision now (non-football in most cases) has become every player should totally leave and get their money as soon as possible.

Unless there is some NBA team willing to guarantee Luka Garza a 1st round draft slot, he would be a dumbfuck to leave. He is made for college basketball. He likely isn't made for the NBA and at best will play some high level Euro level ball. He isn't going to get filthy rich doing that most likely, so an extra year won't hurt him on any considerable level.

The whole having nothing to prove or won't improve the stock is dumb. Maybe it would be good for a lot of players to just stay at a P5 NCAA school that is likely to have a great season if he comes back, he can break records, grow his legend at the school and leave a year later and still go make money.

I get it in football in most cases. That is a dangerous sport with a short career lifespan and a high risk that your brain and body will be mush if you don't cash in.

You don't get these years back. Luka isn't going to remember or give a shit that he played for Zenit Saint Petersberg and made $85k when he was 22 years old. Luka would remember and cherish playing for Iowa and setting records and picking up a bunch of awards and maybe making a deep tourney run.

Easy decision.

Bob

Reaction score
Basketball isn't football but it's still not a sport where you are guranteed a long career, especially as a big guy who takes a beating like he does. You only have so many games in your body, it makes sense to spend as few of them playing for free as possible if you have a real professional career in your future, and he's a guy who can make a ton of money playing basketball even if it's not in the NBA. I don't begrudge any of these guys wanting to get paid when they can.

SteadyEddy

HaLo Walk-on
Reaction score
Not to mention being one of the most heralded basketball players in Iowa history will likely lead to a great paying donor provided gig down the road if he wants it.

Stay and be a legend...then sell medical devices and chit chat about your glory days while making more than most Euro league players. Not a bad life.

douglasbader

Reaction score
Basketball isn't football but it's still not a sport where you are guranteed a long career. You only have so many games in your body, it makes sense to spend as few of them playing for free as possible if you have a real professional career, and he's a guy who can make a ton of money playing basketball even if it's not in the NBA.
This is the kind of immediate gratification thinking that has infected everyone via Jay Bilas / Jay Williams / Jalen Rose screaming that the NCAA is evil and everyone must get out and make money as soon as possible. Playing for free!!

The best case benefit for Luka Garza playing 2020-2021 at somewhere other than Iowa is less than $100k. More likely in the $50k range.

When he is 50 years old, he isn't going to give a shit about that $50k and breaking records and doing something good in the NCAA is going to provide him more than $50k benefit over his lifetime.

Bob

Reaction score
Fucking classic Doug move of pulling a number completely out of his ass and then treating it as a fact.

Luka's uncle is the leading scorer in the history of the Slovenian national team, played professional basketball in Europe, and coached professional basketball in Europe. His mom played professionally in Europe. He has multiple cousins playing professionally in Europe. He is going to know what he's getting into a lot fucking better than anyone here does and be able to make an informed decision.

TJones3312

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
He will make a lot more than “more likely 50k. He will be in a top league and get paid well. With Frank being at every or damn near every game the writing might be on the wall. I hope it’s not and he was at a shit ton of his games last year too when Luka wasn’t playing like the national player of the year.

Reactions: Bob