***2019-2020 Iowa Basketball Season Thread***

Shpadoinkle

Tagline-havin' son of a bitch
Reaction score
Just when he was getting ready to turn the corner, the cops got him.

Revolver

Will Ruin Your Thread and Crush Your Dreams
Reaction score
I don't know about that. Neither are great options obviously, Pemsl is bigger and slightly better on offense.
Yeah I don’t get the “I’d rather have Till in there than Pemsl” take. I’m sure we would all rather have neither in there, but Pemsl is better than Till.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
Pemsl was already on some seriously thin ice with Fran for a variety of reasons.

I don’t think he will get the boot but Fran has to be hot.

FrodoTBaggin

Balding and Demands Accuracy
Reaction score
It doesn't seem like cordell has been as bad lately. That can change in 30 seconds of game time however. He plays so... aloof? I think that's how I'd describe it.

Monster

Fapped to The Karate Kid Wearing a Mask
Reaction score
I don't know about that. Neither are great options obviously, Pemsl is bigger and slightly better on offense.
Yeah, I don't get that. It's almost like the back up quarterback phenomenon.

Pemsl is not a good player. If he was he'd be playing more minutes. But he's better than Till. At least he can body up the other team's post player and get a few rebounds.

KitKatApples

NW Season Ticket Holder (except IA games)
Reaction score
Till knows what he can and can't do. He has some athleticism and isn't a statue on defense.

Monster

Reaction score
Till just hasn't played enough to earn the scorn. That might be coming though.
Aaaand, that just might be because Fran and the other coaches have decided Pemsl is better and deserves to play more.

J1973s

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
Was this a DUI or just driving w a suspended license? I’m a contrarian here but we’ll miss him if he’s suspended.

Verbal

The Brave Little Poster
Reaction score
lolwut? He turns the ball over way too much and doesn’t score.
He doesn't score and he's not a threat to try. He's attempted only 39 field goals on the season. Jack Nunge hasn't played in three months and has comparable numbers from the floor.

Wayne Rogers

Has Bad Ideas
Reaction score
Pemsl CAN be good when he doesn't try to be exciting, but he turns the ball over so much that the team can never get into an offensive flow. His TOs always seem to lead to easy runouts by the other team when Pemsl pouts and doesn't get back on D. He needs to play within himslef and he'd be fine, but he doesn't.

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score
Till isn't good, and he understands that. Pemsl isn't good, yet he's trying halfcourt bounce passes on the break like he's Magic Johnson.
Correct. Riley Till is awful. His only theoretical upside is that he knows his limitations and doesn't try some of the stupid shit Pemsl does that actively hurts you.

Verbal

The Brave Little Poster
Reaction score
I suspect on a Friday afternoon in April or May, when no one is paying attention, Cordell Pemsl will quietly be shown the door under the guise of seeking more minutes for his senior year.

Fritz Fequiere

Has a Master's from ISU worth millions
Reaction score
I thought everyone was joking about this Till over Pemsl thing but then I remembered it was a consensus here that Connor and Baer should barely play. Basketball insights are not halo's collective forte.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
I’m guessing that till would look a little better out there if he was regularly given 8 to 10 minutes per game

Monster

Reaction score
Pemsl CAN be good when he doesn't try to be exciting, but he turns the ball over so much that the team can never get into an offensive flow. His TOs always seem to lead to easy runouts by the other team when Pemsl pouts and doesn't get back on D. He needs to play within himslef and he'd be fine, but he doesn't.
But does he turn the ball over all that much? Less than one turnover per game in 12.3 minutes per. Maybe that's still a lot. I know he can get cute at times and try to do some Jason Williams shit, but it seems too much is made of the turnovers.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
But does he turn the ball over all that much? Less than one turnover per game in 12.3 minutes per. Maybe that's still a lot. I know he can get cute at times and try to do some Jason Williams shit, but it seems too much is made of the turnovers.
He has the second worst of turnover rate on the team behind Evelyn

Revolver

Reaction score
If you're going to drive with a suspended license you probably should ensure your vehicle doesn't have patent pulloverable defects like broken taillights.
Years back I was working in collections for past due legal fines for the county. It was incredible to me how many people had like 4-5 Driving While Barred tickets to their names. It makes less sense for a college kid on a basketball scholarship who has teammates and coaches, etc. that could help him get where he needs to be than the scurves just trying to make it to work or to Casey’s to buy lotto tickets.

Wayne Rogers

Has Bad Ideas
Reaction score
A post player averaging over 3 TOs per 40 minutes is far too many.

Shpadoinkle

Tagline-havin' son of a bitch
Reaction score
I thought everyone was joking about this Till over Pemsl thing but then I remembered it was a consensus here that Connor and Baer should barely play. Basketball insights are not halo's collective forte.
And yet the basketball discussion here is undeniably better than any other Hawkeye site on the interwebs.

Monster

Reaction score
Years back I was working in collections for past due legal fines for the county. It was incredible to me how many people had like 4-5 Driving While Barred tickets to their names. It makes less sense for a college kid on a basketball scholarship who has teammates and coaches, etc. that could help him get where he needs to be than the scurves just trying to make it to work or to Casey’s to buy lotto tickets.
It's very common with the population I used to work with. Obviously not justifying it as they made their beds, but the perspective is not unreasonable. You take someone with not a lot of money, they fuck up and incur $500 in fines, maybe even with one incident. They can't (or don't) pay. More fines. Suddenly they owe $1000 or even more just to get their license back. In the meantime, they have to get to work or school. They take risks.

And lol at whoever wondered if he'd heard of Uber. Get the fuck out of here with that.

Monster

Reaction score
A post player averaging over 3 TOs per 40 minutes is far too many.
Fair enough.

If you extrapolate every statistical measure for minutes played, Pemsl is superior (and even far superior in some categories) to Till in every single way except turnovers, personal fouls, and blocks. Essentially, Till is "safer" but really doesn't do anything positive, either.

Fritz Fequiere

Reaction score
And yet the basketball discussion here is undeniably better than any other Hawkeye site on the interwebs.
I don't think so. Having one thread is nice but this place is far too group-thinky so you end up with ridiculous opinions because many on here are looking for friends. HR is better on whole because those guys aren't caught up in the middle school drama.

Wayne Rogers

Has Bad Ideas
Reaction score
Fair enough.

If you extrapolate every statistical measure for minutes played, Pemsl is superior (and even far superior in some categories) to Till in every single way except turnovers, personal fouls, and blocks. Essentially, Till is "safer" but really doesn't do anything positive, either.
That's fine Monster, but I haven't made any comparison between the two in this thread. Just commenting on Cordell.

Fritz Fequiere

Reaction score
Kenpom and other analytics, while useful, are actually making the average b-ball fan dumber. Pemsl is at least a big body presence on both ends and that matters a lot for Iowa this year.

Hawkstrat

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
I'm not so sure 'if it wasn't for turnovers and defense, Pemsl would likely be better than a walkon,' is much of an argument for Cordell.

Monster

Reaction score
I'm not so sure 'if it wasn't for turnovers and defense, Pemsl would likely be better than a walkon,' is much of an argument for Cordell.
I suppose if you are factoring in scholarship player vs walk in, then it might not be. Me personally? I don't care about that. I only care about which player helps my favorite team win. Maybe winning isn't as important to you.

Revolver

Reaction score
I don't think so. Having one thread is nice but this place is far too group-thinky so you end up with ridiculous opinions because many on here are looking for friends. HR is better on whole because those guys aren't caught up in the middle school drama.
When the board was down for a few hours on a day last summer, many of us went back over to TOS for a bit. It was so God damn bad that many of us commented that it strengthened our appreciation for this board.

I get the “group-thinky” comment, but there is no reasonable person that could take in both mediums and consider TOS to be the better option. It is fucking terrible and embarrassing.

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score
Kenpom and other analytics, while useful, are actually making the average b-ball fan dumber. Pemsl is at least a big body presence on both ends and that matters a lot for Iowa this year.
Riley Till's ORating is over 20 points worse than Pemsl's.