***2019-2020 Iowa Basketball Season Thread***

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score
Fair enough.

If you extrapolate every statistical measure for minutes played, Pemsl is superior (and even far superior in some categories) to Till in every single way except turnovers, personal fouls, and blocks. Essentially, Till is "safer" but really doesn't do anything positive, either.
The Pemsl stuff is just emotional for people. Till sucks. But he sucks in a specific way that is less likely to make someone want to punch their TV when watching him.

Monster

Fapped to The Karate Kid Wearing a Mask
Reaction score
The Pemsl stuff is just emotional for people. Till sucks. But he sucks in a specific way that is less likely to make someone want to punch their TV when watching him.
I think that's probably the best way to put it.

I'm not saying Pemsl is the man or anything. I can't tell you how many times I've actually said the following out loud: "No, Cordell, don't dribble!" or "Oh no, Cordell. Don't shoot!" or just your general "JFC, Cordell. Really?" But the kid will get a rebound or two, and can sometimes body up. And, he doesn't put up with shit, which I personally value. Plus, Mrs. Hamo thinks he's cute.

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
The only reason any of this will matter is if Garza gets in any foul trouble, otherwise you need a player to go in from the 12 minute to 8 minute mark in the first half and not fuck up and maybe do something good on accident.

Pemsl isn't even playing in the second half of games sometimes. Fran knows he is terrible and is keeping him off the court as much as possible unless he magically does a few things correctly

My guess is Pemsl might get a single game suspension and that is it.

Berzerkenpas

Desperately Wants a Mod-Edited Tag Line
Reaction score
so pemsl is a banged-up drunk

the injuries must have taken their toll -- he doesn't move well, and I think his terrible play (hesitations, poor decisions) are a consequence of a body that just won't do what he wants it to do.

he's a warm body to throw out there, who is less of a negative than till.

yeah -- after march, he gone

Shpadoinkle

Tagline-havin' son of a bitch
Reaction score
The only reason any of this will matter is if Garza gets in any foul trouble, otherwise you need a player to go in from the 12 minute to 8 minute mark in the first half and not fuck up and maybe do something good on accident.

Pemsl isn't even playing in the second half of games sometimes. Fran knows he is terrible and is keeping him off the court as much as possible unless he magically does a few things correctly

My guess is Pemsl might get a single game suspension and that is it.
This is his second run in with the law this year. It might be more.

Revolver

Will Ruin Your Thread and Crush Your Dreams
Reaction score
Honestly, the one game suspension would be an ideal time to see if Till should be logging minutes over Pemsl going forward.

Monster

Reaction score
Honestly, the one game suspension would be an ideal time to see if Till should be logging minutes over Pemsl going forward.
But it's not like we haven't seen Till play. Wouldn't he have shown that by now?

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score
Not to go all @Whamo with YOU'RE NOT THERE FOR PRACTICE but honestly don't you think Fran has had plenty of time to evaluate the two of them and has already concluded that Till should not be logging minutes over Pemsl?

Monster

Reaction score
Not to go all @Whamo with YOU'RE NOT THERE FOR PRACTICE but honestly don't you think Fran has had plenty of time to evaluate the two of them and has already concluded that Till should not be logging minutes over Pemsl?
Too late, fucko.

Monster

Reaction score
But yes, he most likely has not been to practice.

Revolver

Reaction score
I do. I think Pemsl > Till, but would love to see Till show that he is better and more deserving of minutes. I think the most likely outcome is that Halo will hate Till every bit as much as they hate Pemsl soon. Though, all he needs is one dunk for IowaFan to declare him the better of the two.

Fritz Fequiere

Has a Master's from ISU worth millions
Reaction score
Well, theoretically you in the midst of your HURR DURR Kenpom is making people dumber point. If you didn't care what the analytics you're decrying in favor of the argument you're making actually say about the argument you're making, my mistake.
Pemsl's rating should be higher but not everything that counts can be counted. This is irrelevant to the Till/Pemsl argument of course, as Till doesn't even have enough game-experience to come to any statistically significant conclusions/comparisons.

Revolver

Reaction score
I think Revo is on to something there.
I’m just trying to say this isn’t a “I really hope Till sucks on Thursday so that I’m right!!!” deal.

though, on Thursday I expect to be proven right.

hawkeyealum

Subscribes to Playboy for the articles
Reaction score
Till is terrible. Pemsl is terrible

I’m just hoping till can give the team 5 minutes of not being a complete fuck up. Fran would be doing him a big favor if he put him in the game without also subbing in Bakari and Kreiner at the same time

hawkeyealum

Subscribes to Playboy for the articles
Reaction score
I suspect the lineup somehow at some point will be till Kreiner bakari touissant and Connor

Monster

Reaction score
I’m just trying to say this isn’t a “I really hope Till sucks on Thursday so that I’m right!!!” deal.

though, on Thursday I expect to be proven right.
LOL. Till has played in 14 games for 74 minutes. The equivalent of nearly two full games. Not sure what you expect to see, but I think he's had plenty of opportunities to show what he can do.

SteadyEddy

HaLo Walk-on
Reaction score
I've felt bad for Pemsl because it's got to be incredibly frustrating to have a good freshman year and be confident in your skill set and capabilities then totally lose it. But he keeps doing stupid shit and now my sympathy is waining. My guess is he knows the writing on the wall. I'd also guess he's not going to look for another opportunity at different school and just be happy to party in Iowa City while he (hopefully) finishes his degree.

I do wonder if he still has any of his old man post skills or if those have gone too. It doesn't seem like anyone attempts to get him the ball when he actually has good positioning (probably for good reason) but considering he had a knack for scoring without using a ton of athleticism you'd think he'd be able to pull it off occasionally.

Revolver

Reaction score
LOL. Till has played in 14 games for 74 minutes. The equivalent of nearly two full games. Not sure what you expect to see, but I think he's had plenty of opportunities to show what he can do.
I don’t know what this response is all about. I’ve already said that I expect the rest of Halo to realize that he is indeed not a better option than Pemsl. And that while I would love for my feeling to be proven wrong, that I don’t expect it to be. Are you forgetting that I’ve been on your side since the beginning on this one?

douglasbader

Reaction score
Big Ten should be a wild ride down the stretch. 7 or 8 games left depending on the team.

Maryland is going to be on a 7 game winning streak going into a game @Michigan State on Saturday when they might have lost 4 in a row. It seems sort of obvious what will happen there.

Penn State on a 6 game winning streak going into a game @Purdue who is a monster at home and has started to catch fire blowing out Iowa and Indiana. It seems sort of obvious what will happen there as well.

I agree with bovert that 4-3 would be awesome and would be thrilled with that, but would be fun for once if a good Iowa team caught fire over their last 7 games and into mid-late March.

douglasbader

Reaction score
Definitely. He's gotta get out of this funk.
Kreiner is due for a breakout and I think it is coming soon. Lots of teams coming up that have multiple big men that he can exploit with how he plays. I think he will have a couple of great games against Indiana and Minnesota.

Monster

Reaction score
I don’t know what this response is all about. I’ve already said that I expect the rest of Halo to realize that he is indeed not a better option than Pemsl. And that while I would love for my feeling to be proven wrong, that I don’t expect it to be. Are you forgetting that I’ve been on your side since the beginning on this one?
My bad. Confused you with someone else.

Monster

Reaction score
He would probably respond to your wishes if you would fucking spell his name right. He's been here four years, Doug.
Lol. Pwnd.

Let's see how he responds.

AZmessDAWG

Loved and Defended The Criminal Until the Bitter End
Reaction score
Fair enough.

If you extrapolate every statistical measure for minutes played, Pemsl is superior (and even far superior in some categories) to Till in every single way except turnovers, personal fouls, and blocks. Essentially, Till is "safer" but really doesn't do anything positive, either.
Honestly I think Till will be fine. Yes Pemsl is probably better but only in the sense that he’ll have a better chance of not getting exploited on the defensive end of the floor. But they only need him to play spot minutes each half to give some guys a break.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
I don't think so. Having one thread is nice but this place is far too group-thinky so you end up with ridiculous opinions because many on here are looking for friends. HR is better on whole because those guys aren't caught up in the middle school drama.
Speak for yourself. I am actually trying to lose friends, and even some relatives.

TJones3312

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Jack has by far the best jump shot form of any of the McCaffery. He looks pretty skilled as well and think he is going to end up as tall as Connor at worst.
Pat just tweeted to Trigga Trey that he is 6’3.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
Pat just tweeted to Trigga Trey that he is 6’3.
That would surprise me – I stood right next to them a couple weeks ago and Jack is taller than fran. And I think Fran is at least 6-4

I will concede that Patrick may know better than me though

TJones3312

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
That would surprise me – I stood right next to them a couple weeks ago and Jack is taller than fran. And I think Fran is at least 6-4

I will concede that Patrick may know better than me though
I have no idea just passing it along.

Mo T

Carnie Profiler
Reaction score
I would have figured he had an attorney who would have gotten him a hardship license. But 1:02AM may or may not have mattered.

CurdMan

TurdMan DDS
Reaction score
Let me remind you all that Pemsl was hoping to transfer to Maryland after his freshman season. Iowa needs him for depth purposes the rest of the year, but between his arrests, turnovers, weight loss, shitty hair, fake tough guy attitude, and telling the media that he wanted to transfer if Cook came back he’s up there with the most dislikable Hawkeye basketball players that I can recall. I can’t imagine Fran feels much better about him