***2019-2020 Iowa Basketball Season Thread***

Vacations at the Wisconsin Dells
Reaction score
Not that Pemsl cares, but this is the last straw for me for that stupid dipshit. I hope Fran gives him a loving boot out the fucking door at the end of the season.

Verbal

The Brave Little Poster
Reaction score
We’re 13 games deep into a surprising potential upper division finish in the Big Ten and these clowns are debating the merits of a mid major home and home on the first Tuesday in December as if anyone even noticed or cared it was gone.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
I’m particularly impressed by Emmert not knowing common facts about UNI. I mean this state is so big, it’s just hard to keep up on all the teams and have some decent sources.

RiotFan

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
Rima (shockingly) started most of that back and forth. Insisting that the 2nd place team in a shitty conference like the MVC should always get in over a major conference team with a .500 or below conference record.

The chirpy nature of the UNI fans when they're having a "good" year is annoying. Almost as annoying as the Iowa media morons complete lack of understanding on why there is no longer a UNI series and why Iowa should never be playing them in a home/home series.

I'd be perfectly fine if UNI never won another game in any sport.

SteadyEddy

HaLo Walk-on
Reaction score
Rima (shockingly) started most of that back and forth. Insisting that the 2nd place 1st place team in a shitty conference like the MVC should always get in over a major conference team with a .500 or below conference record.

The chirpy nature of the UNI fans when they're having a "good" year is annoying. Almost as annoying as the Iowa media morons complete lack of understanding on why there is no longer a UNI series and why Iowa should never be playing them in a home/home series.

I'd be perfectly fine if UNI never won another game in any sport.

RiotFan

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
Yes, I'm aware UNI is in first place in the vaunted MVC.

Gary's stated opinion is that you must have a winning conference record to get into the NCAA (or win your conference tourney). So if Michigan or tOSU finish .500 this year and don't win the I am a giant douche tourney he's taking Southern Illinois over them as an at-large.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
Ben Jacobson will not do a buy a game in Iowa city. That is a fact. In fact, Colorado this year was only the sixth buy game in his 14 years as a coach.That seems like an important little tidbit to know if you are covering basketball, especially if you insist on arguing this topic.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
Yes, I'm aware UNI is in first place in the vaunted MVC.

Gary's stated opinion is that you must have a winning conference record to get into the NCAA (or win your conference tourney). So if Michigan or tOSU finish .500 this year and don't win the I am a giant douche tourney he's taking Southern Illinois over them as an at-large.

His argument was more around if the regular season champion loses in the tournament.

ivan_drago

Fiercely Advocated for Unlimited Transfers
Reaction score
Iowa is also dodging UNI in wrestling! Sad!!!!

JD720

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
I think Jess Settles said something similar on KXNO monday night (that regular season and conf tournament champs should get in). His idea was to expand the tournament again. I don' agree with that either. I'd rather boot 5-10 conferences back to D2 and go back to 64 tournament teams.

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score
This discussion is going on two places so I'm just going to move my other reply here.

This is really only a thing in Iowa. Indiana doesn't play Indiana State. Illinois doesn't play a single one of the Illinois MVC schools this year. I don't think there's any Illinois beat writers crying about how badly the fans want to see an Illinois-Illinois State match up.

Verbal

The Brave Little Poster
Reaction score
Facts:

1. This entire conversation is annoying as fuck.

2. Iowa plays two Big Ten games during the week that it used to play UNI. A 20 game conference schedule means you have to sacrifice some non-con dates. Adios, UNI.

3. UNI doesn't want to come to Iowa City any more than Iowa wants to go to Cedar Falls. UNI hasn't won in Iowa City since the Alford era (12/5/2006). The vast majority of their success against Iowa over the last two decades was at Alford's expense (4-4 head to head in the Alford era). Even The Criminal (2-1) took care of UNI at home, and once on the road. Fran has never lost to UNI at Carver.

4. UNI hasn't beaten Iowa anywhere since 2014, which I think was either the first or second year of the Big Four classic. The final score was 56-44 and the game was reportedly an abomination unto the Dark Lord of Sheol.

5. Iowa absolutely hammered UNI in each of the last two meetings in Des Moines, winning each game by 23 points. I didn't hear anyone pining for more of this shit then.

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
Is UCLA or Cal getting a bunch of shit for not playing San Diego State this year?

This whole concept is stupid.
Like you said, this is a problem unique to Iowa, their beat writers and a segment of IowaFan.

If they had their way, the basketball non-conference would have 13 games all against in-state schools. Football would play Iowa State, UNI and one of the Dakota schools every year.

Ferentz is a big problem in football loving the UNI/Iowa State games because he fucking hates long travel in the non-conference and would rather play in state. Fran is the opposite. He doesn't give a shit about UNI/Drake and is right for not doing so.

douglasbader

Reaction score
They don't want to play San Diego State.
No shit, none of these schools really want to play teams that are going to have their hard on grow from the normal 5 inches to 8 inches when they get to play the school they grew up watching but didn't recruit them.

I'm on record for not wanting to play UNI because they are in fact dangerous too often and become extra dangerous in those years when given the motivation of playing Iowa.

We saw it even when one of Fran's best Iowa teams lost at home to a Division II team because those kids went nuts at the opportunity to play guys they played with in AAU and were out of their mind above their normal level.

douglasbader

Reaction score
"It's good for the state!"

Like, how? And honestly, who cares?

It's pretty much mostly good for lazy sports writers who don't want to have to do research into Cincinnati to write their game stories.
Most readers of Hawkeye Heaven, certain IowaFan and writers like Emmeret and Morehouse that think Iowa looks weak and is ducking them because they are scared.

The biggest fucking idiots possible.

Thomas Wolsey

Likes Your Post
Reaction score
Fran’s job is to maximize his chance of making the tournament. Locking in to a home and home with UNI in December doesn’t do that. End of story.

UNI reminds me of the Ringer Union. Trying the power play with no actual leverage, then bitching about the certain result that follows.

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score
Most readers of Hawkeye Heaven, certain IowaFan and writers like Emmeret and Morehouse that think Iowa looks weak and is ducking them because they are scared.

The biggest fucking idiots possible.
Right. Morehouse uses the word 'ducking' like he's calling someone a chicken on the playground. Who cares? Iowa should do the best thing for Iowa.

It's a low upside, high downside game. The selection committee doesn't give you extra credit for 'didn't duck a plucky in-state foe'. And again, this is only even a discussion because UNI is decent this year. When they're shitty, it sucks to lock yourself into a game like this.

HerkyHopeful

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
These doofuses spent all off-season talking about how hard Iowa's OOC schedule was and now have selective memory.

JFC Iowa has blown them out the last two times they played. These Iowa writers need to all drink some Jonestown Koolaid.

Hassel should be jumping in soon with his hot steamy pile of a take correct?

Revolver

Will Ruin Your Thread and Crush Your Dreams
Reaction score
Man, do the Iowa Beat writers ever know how to sully an overachieving season. This is now the second year in a row that several have banded together for mid-season douchebaggery aimed at a team destined for the Big Dance.

fossilhawk

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
The reason Iowa stopped playing UNI isn't because they were afraid of them or some shit.

The reason Iowa stopped playing UNI is because UNI insisted on playing every other year in their tiny-ass (BUT BRAND NEW AND SHINY!!!!11!!) McLeod Center/high school gym, which made Iowa about a third of the money they made visiting the UNI-Dome (which held more people for basketball than Carver does, if memory serves).

That's it. That's the reason. You don't see Drake whining about not getting to play Iowa at the Knapp Center anymore. UNI folk should take some pointers.

SteadyEddy

HaLo Walk-on
Reaction score
Clam down folks. There are like 10 people who are making this a thing.

The 8 UNI super fans and 2 uneducated beat writers.

I'd like Iowa and UNI to play for selfish reasons, but completely understand why Iowa doesn't want to. With the way the Valley has changed over the years (1 bid shitty) a win over Iowa doesn't even do that much anymore. UNI needs to win the whole damn thing to even have a shot at the tourney.

Wanderer

Stupid Fuck
Reaction score
Who gives a shit about UNI? We are currently in contention for first place in the toughest league in the country and people are arguing about fucking UNI?
I think they’re arguing about playing them in basketball, Stu.