***2019-2020 Iowa Basketball Season Thread***

KitKatApples

NW Season Ticket Holder (except IA games)
Reaction score
I kinda thought buying him out would be literally to costly for them but now I don’t think they have a choice.

Swingin' Dick Stanzi

Dirty Cheat
Reaction score
If Carton transfers to Iowa and is immediately eligible, and Garza comes back, we’d likely be looking at a top 5 preseason ranking.

wondergrape

Has Bad Hair
Reaction score
If Carton transfers to Iowa and is immediately eligible, and Garza comes back, we’d likely be looking at a top 5 preseason ranking.
I was widely ridiculed for saying that I thought Carton and the dude from Wisconsin would transfer to Nebrantska or Iowa State.

Almost there!

Reaction score
I'm sure that Wieskamp is out there practicing making shots through contact, and not snuggling with his sweetie wearing matching pink shoes.

Reaction score
In response to Kakert saying he'd expect it to be closer to home, Barnstormers just replied with a smiley face.

I know the general response is, "who cares, make it work" but there would have to be some other guys moving on. If he got a waiver you'd have bohannon, Carton, Toussaint, Wieskamp, CJ, Connor all as returning guys playing mainly 1-3 plus Uhlis, Perkins coming in and Patrick potentially. No way you keep everyone here and happy with that setup. Fran is always big on "fit" with transfers.

Swingin' Dick Stanzi

Dirty Cheat
Reaction score
In response to Kakert saying he'd expect it to be closer to home, Barnstormers just replied with a smiley face.

I know the general response is, "who cares, make it work" but there would have to be some other guys moving on. If he got a waiver you'd have bohannon, Carton, Toussaint, Wieskamp, CJ, Connor all as returning guys playing mainly 1-3 plus Uhlis, Perkins coming in and Patrick potentially. No way you keep everyone here and happy with that setup. Fran is always big on "fit" with transfers.
Who cares, make it work

Reaction score

Illinois would seem more likely with Ayo moving on. But they have top 50 PG and top 50 SG coming in. The PG is from Puerto Rico and moved to NY in middle school and is supposed to be a stud.

FrodoTBaggin

Balding and Demands Accuracy
Reaction score
His fucking hands and touch are incredible. It's too bad he'd have to play a little defense in the league because he'd score. He would find a way.

Stu Beagle

Has Tiny Onions
Reaction score
When do they announce Wooden and Naismith award? And is one better than the other?

Creed

Wears Adult-Sized Underoos
Reaction score
His fucking hands and touch are incredible. It's too bad he'd have to play a little defense in the league because he'd score. He would find a way.
Yes he would, through will, effort and determination. Players from other teams in the NBA would hate him because of how he goes full throttle every minute.

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score

A few things here....

- Carton may not even need a waiver if the NCAA allows the one time transfer immediately eligible this summer
- The scenario you mentioned is right. I don't see how you take Carton without multiple other roster changes. At a minimum Toussaint would have to be moving on.

Shpadoinkle

Tagline-havin' son of a bitch
Reaction score
Yes he would, through will, effort and determination. Players from other teams in the NBA would hate him because of how he goes full throttle every minute.
I don't know how a dudes body could make it a whole NBA season doing that though.

HerkyHopeful

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
I don't know how a dudes body could make it a whole NBA season doing that though.
He wouldn't have to play 38 minutes every night like at Iowa, where the opponent would quickly go on a 10-0 run as soon as he left the game.

douglasbader

Reaction score
Is this Carton shit for real or just gossip at this point?
I am only going off what Hiawatha is posting, but Kakert is reporting that Carton entered the portal and seems to be the first to report it. In the discussion over there of him transferring closer to home, a very connected Barnstormers is posting smiley faces.

I don't know if there is fire, but that is a lot of smoke.

Hawk_Kegmasters

Saw Spice World in Theaters
Reaction score
A few things here....

- Carton may not even need a waiver if the NCAA allows the one time transfer immediately eligible this summer
- The scenario you mentioned is right. I don't see how you take Carton without multiple other roster changes. At a minimum Toussaint would have to be moving on.
And even if that one time transfer didn’t come to fruition he would probably try for some sort of waiver since he was having mental health issues.

Reaction score
I am only going off what Hiawatha is posting, but Kakert is reporting that Carton entered the portal and seems to be the first to report it. In the discussion over there of him transferring closer to home, a very connected Barnstormers is posting smiley faces.

I don't know if there is fire, but that is a lot of smoke.
He said there are rumblings that he's expected to enter the portal shortly. Once he does, Goodman and a bunch of other people will probably tweet it out.

douglasbader

Reaction score
He said there are rumblings that he's expected to enter the portal shortly. Once he does, Goodman and a bunch of other people will probably tweet it out.
Which means someone locally in the Quad Cities is feeding him that.

Man, I just don't know what you do in this situation. Carton and Foster both spit in your face and now that Iowa is rolling along and is going to be a Top 10 level team with the NPOY and other studs they supposedly want to join the party.

Fran seems to be a guy about loyalty. I don't know how you dick over guys like Toussaint and Nunge even if Carton and Foster wanted to come join eventually.

Hawk_Kegmasters

Saw Spice World in Theaters
Reaction score
I don’t know how you could pass on Carton. Hopefully you could talk someone like Joe T/Nunge into the idea that we are trying to make a run in 2020-21 but will lose a shit ton after the season and it’d be wide open for them after that.

J1973s

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
Another thing to consider is Toussaint is for sure a four year guy and re Carton there was already talk of him going to the NBA after just his freshman year. Personally I’d rather have four years of Joe T.

Fletch

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Which means someone locally in the Quad Cities is feeding him that.

Man, I just don't know what you do in this situation. Carton and Foster both spit in your face and now that Iowa is rolling along and is going to be a Top 10 level team with the NPOY and other studs they supposedly want to join the party.

Fran seems to be a guy about loyalty. I don't know how you dick over guys like Toussaint and Nunge even if Carton and Foster wanted to come join eventually.
You don’t dick over guys that have been loyal, especially if they can play.

douglasbader

Reaction score
Fran has obviously earned the benefit of the doubt, but this potential scenario is why it might have been smart to not offer the Murray Twins until the spring so you can have some flexibility.

There would still be playing time issues, but if he right now had 2 open scholarships taking a player like Carton and a grad transfer post player like the brother of the player he coached at Sienna would be a no brainer.

Already having 14 guys locked in though makes it far less flexible and messy if you have to push loyal guys out the door.

Shpadoinkle

Tagline-havin' son of a bitch
Reaction score
Doesn't Fran still have the option of taking his boys off scholarship? Not that it would alleviate potential chemistry issues, it would make adding guys mathematically an option.

Reaction score
No inside info, but I don’t think bohannon is the lock to return everyone assumes he is. I don’t think he’ll transfer, but I think it’s possible he “retires” if doctors are telling him that playing will impact his quality of life in the future.

It would be one thing if it was an isolated hip injury, but with 2 bad hips, it’s clearly a bigger issue.

Silky Johnson

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
If the opportunity is there, you have to do it. If Patrick is still having issues and/or Nunge gets hurt again (both very possible) you’re gonna lack depth down low. At which point we could have Connor play the 3/4 more and put more of an attacker at PG.

Creed

Wears Adult-Sized Underoos
Reaction score
No inside info, but I don’t think bohannon is the lock to return everyone assumes he is. I don’t think he’ll transfer, but I think it’s possible he “retires” if doctors are telling him that playing will impact his quality of life in the future.

It would be one thing if it was an isolated hip injury, but with 2 bad hips, it’s clearly a bigger issue.
Well that would be shitty.

Silky Johnson

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score

I get what you’re saying, but it’d have to be pretty fucking bad for him to hang it up. The opportunity is too great.

Reaction score

He's said he's way ahead of schedule compared to the last surgery and feeling great.

champion_thedrinker

L. Wade Jr.
Reaction score

I think I'd rather have a healthy bohannon over Carton, if one had to choose.

Stu Beagle

Has Tiny Onions
Reaction score
bohannon only playing 15 minutes a game because of concern of injury wouldn't be a bad thing

FrodoTBaggin

Balding and Demands Accuracy
Reaction score
A few things here....

There is no way in hell that Fran McCaffrey would do that.

HerkyHopeful

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
bohannon isn't going to play the minutes he used to (out of need). Nunge is still recovering from a torn ACL, no guarantee he'll be 100% by next season. Patrick McCaffery is a total question mark and shouldn't be counted on until we can see he's healthy. Murray twins will redshirt. Pemsl isn't a lock to come back. Connor shouldn't need to play the same minutes next year.

Carton may not be in college for 3 more years. If he wants to come to Iowa, take him!

KitKatApples

NW Season Ticket Holder (except IA games)
Reaction score
He should've came to Iowa. Now he's gotta give that cash back to that OSU booster. What a knuckle head