***2019-2020 Iowa Basketball Season Thread***

Shpadoinkle

Tagline-havin' son of a bitch
Reaction score
its getting flat out stupid now.
Yeah this is insane. Maybe DJ didn't get the support he needed at OSU. Maybe there were hard feelings among teammates. Maybe there were other environmental factors there that contributed to his issues. To my knowledge there weren't a lot of knocks on the kid coming out of high school, and Iowa wanted him bad.

You find a spot for him if he wants to come to Iowa City.

AZmessDAWG

Loved and Defended The Criminal Until the Bitter End
Reaction score
Cmon now. He’s a flake. He’d be terrible for the chemistry.

Fritz Fequiere

Has a Master's from ISU worth millions
Reaction score
It is funny though to see doug go in a matter of minutes from hmmm Fran might have a tough decision to declaring Carton is a headcase after hearing Kakert hint he isn't coming to Iowa.

Shpadoinkle

Reaction score
Cmon now. He’s a flake. He’d be terrible for the chemistry.
I know you're being sarcastic, but next year's team isn't going to let some new guy come in and disrupt chemistry. This team is loaded with alphas. Luka, Jordan, Connor and CJ aren't going to take any shit from some new guy.

AZmessDAWG

Reaction score
Plus they all know the kid. Good players want good players on their team.

CurdMan

TurdMan DDS
Reaction score
I’m not going to say Fran should take Carton and let the collateral damage play out however it may. But, I will say that this team is in need of more athleticism. I am hopeful that Ulis and Perkins can step in and deliver from day one. For as much as I love the pieces on this team, let’s not pretend that Iowa is all set and couldn’t use 5 star talent.

I think it’s ok to be on either side of the fence here. The cubs sold out on some really good talent to bring Aroldis Chapman in for a few months to go all in on winning a World Series. Would Fran sell out 3 years of Toussaint for one year of Carton? We know how Fran is. No fucking way. Is there a way to make it work for both of them? I just can’t see Fran risking pissing off the guy who told him yes when Carton told him no.

AZmessDAWG

Reaction score
And he’s not coming to Iowa in my opinion. My guess is Nebrantska

Shpadoinkle

Reaction score
I’m not going to say Fran should take Carton and let the collateral damage play out however it may. But, I will say that this team is in need of more athleticism. I am hopeful that Ulis and Perkins can step in and deliver from day one. For as much as I love the pieces on this team, let’s not pretend that Iowa is all set and couldn’t use 5 star talent.

I think it’s ok to be on either side of the fence here. The cubs sold out on some really good talent to bring Aroldis Chapman in for a few months to go all in on winning a World Series. Would Fran sell out 3 years of Toussaint for one year of Carton? We know how Fran is. No fucking way. Is there a way to make it work for both of them? I just can’t see Fran risking pissing off the guy who told him yes when Carton told him no.
Fran knows next year's potential, plus he has direct, unvarnished input from players (two live with him). He'll make the right call, if it's even an option.

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
It is funny though to see doug go in a matter of minutes from hmmm Fran might have a tough decision to declaring Carton is a headcase after hearing Kakert hint he isn't coming to Iowa.
I declared him a headcase after his social media, Fritzy.

AZmessDAWG

Reaction score
Hey, take it up with Fran. He is the one that possibly heard from Carton and told him no.
Or maybe no one knows what the fuck happened. You’re taking something from someone you ridicule mercilessly (TK) and then drawing imaginary conclusions from it.

douglasbader

Reaction score
Or maybe no one knows what the fuck happened. You’re taking something from someone you ridicule mercilessly (TK) and then drawing imaginary conclusions from it.
That is why I said "possibly" and have when talking about this.

Nobody except for you is drawing any hard conclusion. Everyone is speculating. It is a message/discussion board, not a news board. We talk about shit. It isn't an AP feed you silly goose.

AZmessDAWG

Reaction score
Of course. I’m talking about the people saying he’s a flake! He won’t fit in!!!

douglasbader

Reaction score
Of course. I’m talking about the people saying he’s a flake! He won’t fit in!!!
He is a fucking flake. I know it is super mean and non-PC to ever put that on someone with mental health issues, but the reality is people with mental health issues can also be flaky as shit. He's doing literally everything possible to show he is a Grade A fucking flake. Disappearing during the middle of a season, him and his mommy PROMISING to come back to Ohio State, then of course not coming back, then being dumb enough to fight with people on twitter, then doing a tearful goodbye.

All super non-flaky behavior.

douglasbader

Reaction score
Carton transfers to Iowa.

Doug: see? I said “possibly”. RATT
If he wanted to come and Fran wanted him, awesome.

If he wants to come and Fran doesn't want him, awesome.

What I'm not going to say, as you and half a dozen others have on here, is that no matter what you HAVE to take him because FIVE STAR and you just "figure it out!!" and anyone who dares suggest that maybe there is a reason you wouldn't take a flaky kid that might fuck up chemistry even if he is a FIVE STAR is a retard.

It isn't a binary choice.

Monster

Fapped to The Karate Kid Wearing a Mask
Reaction score
Doug has an amazing ability to create, control, and dictate narratives. And I'm not dissing on him. Maybe it's sheer quantity of words and posts, combined secondarily with some level of expertise. But once he gets going he can be very convincing.

gohawkeyes811

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
I understand both sides. If he has legitimate mental health issues, then that's one thing.

But it's possible to just be really homesick, have made a wrong decision about where you want to live, and have that mess with your mind too rather than just saying: "yeah I just shouldn't have come here, it was the wrong decision".

Of course you want that type of talent, but I wouldn't have a single problem with Fran passing on him because of what Doug is saying.

AZmessDAWG

Reaction score
If he wanted to come and Fran wanted him, awesome.

If he wants to come and Fran doesn't want him, awesome.

What I'm not going to say, as you and half a dozen others have on here, is that no matter what you HAVE to take him because FIVE STAR and you just "figure it out!!" and anyone who dares suggest that maybe there is a reason you wouldn't take a flaky kid that might fuck up chemistry even if he is a FIVE STAR is a retard.

It isn't a binary choice.
I agree with that. My response to, basically just Beebs, saying no way we want him is that of course you “want” him. To just dismiss it and make up things like “he probably won’t buy in to passing to Luka” is dumb.

but yeah if Fran decided not to go down that path, I wouldnt write it off as dumb.

Reactions: Bob

wondergrape

Has Bad Hair
Reaction score
Just caught up with this thread. Let me start by saying I in no way believe Fran said no to DJ. And if he did he is an idiot. Next year is setting up to be a potentially historic season.

You can get to the Elite Eight with this roster and Joe Toussaint.

I don't want to jinx anything but you can get to... significantly further with this roster and DJ Carton.

Reaction score
We also don't know the details of the discussion between Fran and Carton or Carton's people. If the latter made a demand of a starting spot and 32 minutes of playing time per game, I can absolutely see Fran saying no to that. Things like this happen all the time, it just doesn't get reported on because coaches don't want to tell tales out of school and have it hurt them in recruiting.

Let's also not forget that one of the things Fran sells recruits on is his unflagging loyalty to players once they commit to him. It's something he takes very seriously. It's why there haven't been a lot of grad transfers during his time. It doesn't send a good message if he's bringing in Carton after getting commitments from Ulis and Perkins.

There's more at play than whether or not Carton can help take the team to a higher level.

Reaction score
LOL at whoever is saying they wouldn't take a top 50 recruit. How do any of you know he would disrupt chemistry? Maybe Ulis or Perkins would disrupt chemistry. Maybe the return of bohannon would disrupt chemistry. None of you have any fucking clue what adding him would mean. I'm sure there are many occasions where a guy transferred into a good team and made them great or a great team and made them championship contenders. What if he came in and was the missing piece?

"We don't want a top 50 recruit." GTFOH with that shit. From here on out, I hope Fran really focuses his recruiting on team chemistry guys and not so much on how talented they are.

BBK

THE GRINGOOOOO
Reaction score
At the sake of alienating Touissant for a player who at a minimum is flaky/at a maximum has "mental health issues," no thanks.

Ohio State certainly looked fine without him.

TJones3312

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
LOL at whoever is saying they wouldn't take a top 50 recruit. How do any of you know he would disrupt chemistry? Maybe Ulis or Perkins would disrupt chemistry. Maybe the return of bohannon would disrupt chemistry. None of you have any fucking clue what adding him would mean. I'm sure there are many occasions where a guy transferred into a good team and made them great or a great team and made them championship contenders. What if he came in and was the missing piece?

"We don't want a top 50 recruit." GTFOH with that shit. From here on out, I hope Fran really focuses his recruiting on team chemistry guys and not so much on how talented they are.
Doug for sure said recruit for chemistry. Not

Last edited:

douglasbader

Reaction score
If Dougie says he's a flake, then he is no doubt 100% a flake. Tell the top 50 player to fuck off because Dougie knows all!
You didn't even read the thread or your reading comprehension is shit.

Again, at the end of the day it does appear Fran essentially told him to fuck off. Take it up with him.

Reactions: BBK

Fritz Fequiere

Has a Master's from ISU worth millions
Reaction score
I don't think he's a flake but he is a point guard and Iowa would have 4 of them next year if he came in. No one knows how it went down, but coaches not going after highly rated recruits (but he's top 50!!!!) due to roster composition that they could have otherwise received commitments from happens all the time.

TJones3312

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
I don't think he's a flake but he is a point guard and Iowa would have 4 of them next year if he came in. No one knows how it went down, but coaches not going after highly rated recruits (but he's top 50!!!!) due to roster composition that they could have otherwise received commitments from happens all the time.
But why? Good God you are as bad as anyone twisting words. I’ll let you get you chasing Dougies butthole.