2019 Hawkeyes in the NFL thread

kmurp

Can't get Jak out
Reaction score
I still can't understand how Iowa hasn't recruited stud RBs every year
Agree. Also, there have been many times iowa has lost out in recruiting battles on offensive tackles. I would think Iowa would be attractive to recruits at that position, though we have been doing better as of late.

Reaction score
Pat McAfee interview with Marshal Yanda starts at 1:43:43
Didn't recognize Marshal, dropped some lbs. Good stuff

Jimmie Dimmick

Dog Crap Litterer
Reaction score
Seems like the former Hawks really slim down after the nfl, Gallery, Clark, Yanda..
The calories they have to consume to stay at playing weight isn’t practical when you’re done. Most linemen drop crazy weight. I came across David Pollack and at about an inch shorter than me, I would say he’s sub 200. According to google he weighed as much as 297 at one point.

eclone

Former VEISHEA Exec Committee Member
Reaction score
Seems like the former Hawks really slim down after the nfl, Gallery, Clark, Yanda..
Nelson was like Yanda and almost immediately shrink back to a "normal" size upon retirement, too

Jim

Enjoys Birding
Reaction score
Thanks for posting. This was a fantastic interview.
Really? Not trying to be a dick, but I watched it after HR was saying it was amazing and it’s ok. Are we that starved for sports or is the bar really low for retired professional athletes being interviewed? Must be a former hawkeye thing? The Kirk interview on DP this week was the same. Probably the least interesting interview I’ve ever watched of Ferentz. I think podcasts have ruined sports interviews for me.

Wayne Rogers

Has Bad Ideas
Reaction score
Really? Not trying to be a dick, but I watched it after HR was saying it was amazing and it’s ok. Are we that starved for sports or is the bar really low for retired professional athletes being interviewed? Must be a former hawkeye thing? The Kirk interview on DP this week was the same. Probably the least interesting interview I’ve ever watched of Ferentz. I think podcasts have ruined sports interviews for me.
Of course it was the "former Hawkeye thing." It was an interview of a native Iowan and former Hawkeye who will likely be a first ballot Hall of Fame inductee. There aren't many of them walking around. You're damn right I enjoyed it, and I am happy someone took the time to post it. If you don't like it, fine. Maybe I don't have your highly refined tastes of interviews.

Jim

Enjoys Birding
Reaction score
Of course it was the "former Hawkeye thing." It was an interview of a native Iowan and former Hawkeye who will likely be a first ballot Hall of Fame inductee. There aren't many of them walking around. You're damn right I enjoyed it, and I am happy someone took the time to post it. If you don't like it, fine. Maybe I don't have your highly refined tastes of interviews.
Relax, Wayne. Just trying to find the fantastic part of the interview. If you could give me the moment that happened, it would be appreciated. No need to go full Doug. Just fucking around.

The Incredible Hawk

Will Spineboard You
Reaction score
Relax, Wayne. Just trying to find the fantastic part of the interview. If you could give me the moment that happened, it would be appreciated. No need to go full Doug. Just fucking around.
Pretty sure you were the one who went full Doug.

Reaction score
Our rb coaches since Jackson left were Erb, White, and Brian (for one year). Erb and White set the program back a decade.
Welll....I know we hate White and all and he did screw up in the Eno affair, but the players he coached (Weisman , Canzeri, Daniels and Wadley) did do reasonably well. Derek Mitchell did great when he played. (Bullock should have played safety or slot.) We did come up empty in RB recruiting in '14-16, though.

I thought Erb had a somewhat unpleasant pubic persona, but he did do a rather fine job as WR coach (thru '07) and his backs seemed to play pretty well. I can't blame him for Greene going pro, Hampton blowing his knee twice, ARob getting concussed twice and generally screwing up, for Wegher being a screwed up Robo RB knocking up chicks and Coker being run out of town by the university. He got quite a bit out of Bullock (three 100 yd games?) and Weisman in '12 as well.

thrawn

Reaction score
The WRs had terrible turnover when Erb coached them and while I don’t entirely blame him the RBs had terrible turnover under him. Always wondered if that meant anything.

Last edited:

Thomas Wolsey

Likes Your Post
Reaction score
Welll....I know we hate White and all and he did screw up in the Eno affair, but the players he coached (Weisman , Canzeri, Daniels and Wadley) did do reasonably well. Derek Mitchell did great when he played. (Bullock should have played safety or slot.) We did come up empty in RB recruiting in '14-16, though.

I thought Erb had a somewhat unpleasant pubic persona, but he did do a rather fine job as WR coach (thru '07) and his backs seemed to play pretty well. I can't blame him for Greene going pro, Hampton blowing his knee twice, ARob getting concussed twice and generally screwing up, for Wegher being a screwed up Robo RB knocking up chicks and Coker being run out of town by the university. He got quite a bit out of Bullock (three 100 yd games?) and Weisman in '12 as well.
Compare that list to Wisconsin, shit even Indiana. They had aome adequate players. Weisman is a great hawk but had no business being a starting running back. Wegher couls have been good, but he only managed to stay a year. The coaches don’t matter in that case?

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
Nelson was like Yanda and almost immediately shrink back to a "normal" size upon retirement, too
One of my good friends was a walk on offensive lineman in the early 2000s. I think he only got in the field for like 2 plays in 5 years.

His last game was the 2009 Outback Bowl. Between that game and when I saw him again a couple months later he had dropped almost 70 pounds. Between diet and not lifting weights it comes off fast when you’re around 300 lbs and your body is more natural in the 220 range.

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure Doyle has a program to help peel the weight off as well.

Wayne Rogers

Has Bad Ideas
Reaction score
What Opponents, Teammates and Coaches Said About Marshal Yanda

Long article with several quotes from other players and coaches. Here's an example from JJ Watt.

Texans DE J.J. Watt

"Marshal is one of the best I've ever played against. A consummate professional who gave everything he had on every play and then shook your hand with respect after the game. He was an absolute pain in the ass to play against, but he's a true competitor that I have the utmost respect and admiration for. Congratulations on one hell of a career and wishing him all the best in retirement."

Reaction score
2010 Orange Bowl on NBC/WHO right now, been awhile since Ive watched a replay of this game. Hyde just came in for an injured Prater

Reaction score
2010 Orange Bowl on NBC/WHO right now, been awhile since Ive watched a replay of this game. Hyde just came in for an injured Prater
It’s pretty damn choppy watching it.

The defense was so good.

thrawn

Reaction score
One of my good friends was a walk on offensive lineman in the early 2000s. I think he only got in the field for like 2 plays in 5 years.

His last game was the 2009 Outback Bowl. Between that game and when I saw him again a couple months later he had dropped almost 70 pounds. Between diet and not lifting weights it comes off fast when you’re around 300 lbs and your body is more natural in the 220 range.
his career span the decade?

kmurp

Can't get Jak out
Reaction score

Anyone have any thoughts on how the offensive linemen can put on or maintain their weight without the workouts and training table calories ?

Tugboat

Berntard
Reaction score
Clayborn was such a beast in the Orange Bowl.

What a missed opportunity 2010 was for Iowa.

Reaction score
Compare that list to Wisconsin, shit even Indiana. They had aome adequate players. Weisman is a great hawk but had no business being a starting running back. Wegher couls have been good, but he only managed to stay a year. The coaches don’t matter in that case?
I have to think it was a little bit more than the Iowa coaches/Lester Erb that caused Wegher to sit out for 3 seasons before returning at Morningside College as a 5th and 6th year player.

Yeah, Weisman could have become Iowa's best fullback since Jeremy Allen (all due respect to Edgar).

The tailback roster (sorry, room) in 2012 "could" have been:

Robinson- Shelled after two years, bad actor
Wegher- Head case, burnout. (Mini-Marinovich?)
Hampton -Two acl's, bad actor. Still made the NFL.
Coker- early Me Too casualty (who had KF's support)
Canzeri- ACL in spring.
McCall- Bad actor/whiner
Barkley Hill- ACL on final play of final '12 camp scrimmage
DeAndre Johnson- Took his commitment after he ruined his ACL, which he never got over. Wisconsin got the other Floridian we were looking at at the same time- James White. (Kazcenski's recruiting territory)

The overrated Greg Garmon was there, but soon gone. (Always regard HS Wing T halfbacks with suspicion)

Erb did recruit some highly regarded recruits, like Roth, Mike Jones, Bulaga and Bonecrusher.

Of coaches from that era, I'm much gladder we parted ways with Kazcenski, Campbell and Wilson.