**2019 Iowa Basketball Off-Season Thread**

Creed

Wears Adult-Sized Underoos
Reaction score
Anyone who doesn't want Cook back can GFT. He's a a good kid, a good basketball player and he's the type of guy that can help make Iowa into an elite team next year. Yeah, he makes mistakes and can be frustrating, but so can everyone else on the roster.
Agreed. He needs one of these though:
upload_2019-3-24_17-56-30.jpeg

nolookpass

Feels the Bern
Reaction score
Cook needs the Pete Maravich ball handling video

Hawk&Balls

NOT a member
Reaction score
Anyone who doesn't want Cook back can GFT. He's a a good kid, a good basketball player and he's the type of guy that can help make Iowa into an elite team next year. Yeah, he makes mistakes and can be frustrating, but so can everyone else on the roster.
Everyone wants him back. No one wants him back thinking he's a future NBA star and he tries to prove it.

hawkeyealum

Subscribes to Playboy for the articles
Reaction score
I don't get the Connor hate. Dude is a serviceable back up guard. If he can develop his 3 a bit/be willing to shoot and draw defenders out he is fine. He had to play more this year because Jbo was the only one that could handle the ball outside of him.
Personally i think he is a 5-7 min a game guy who plays 20. I refuse to believe Toussiant will not be a better option but I don’t see Fran sitting his son either. That’s my main complaint
HE. WAS. OUR. ONLY. OTHER. BALLHANDLER.
That is overplayed. Sure maybe in crunch time but they team plays 4 v 5 when he’s on offense. I get it moves bohannon off the ball but next year there has to be a better option

Hawkstrat

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
He seemed more willing to shoot the last few games. That's what it comes down to for me, if he can be a capable shooter, he'll be an asset. If he can't do that, he should stick to baseball and doing his homework.

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
I want Cook back, but I would love if he came back because he wants to come back to beat the shit out of other teams and make Iowa a contender.

This year it was all too obvious he was back because he had to come back and was talked into it as a way to work on his film to play pro basketball.

Stop with the outside shooting. Stop with the step back shots that result in airballs. Stop with bringing the ball up the court. Stop with that fucking left handed fade away hook you never make.

Come back and outwork everyone on the glass. Come back and lock people down on defense. Come back and out effort everyone that guards you.

Cook simply isn't going to be Draymond. He wants to be, but he isn't. He is Montrezl Harrell. That should be the model of a player that he looks at and there is still great value in a guy that crashes the board relentlessly, challenges shots and outworks everyone. He went from 2nd round pick nothing to now the Sixth Man of the Year and making $6m+ because he is a modern Reggie Evans.

The Incredible Hawk

Will Spineboard You
Reaction score
I want Cook back, but I would love if he came back because he wants to come back to beat the shit out of other teams and make Iowa a contender.

This year it was all too obvious he was back because he had to come back and was talked into it as a way to work on his film to play pro basketball.

Stop with the outside shooting. Stop with the step back shots that result in airballs. Stop with bringing the ball up the court. Stop with that fucking left handed fade away hook you never make.

Come back and outwork everyone on the glass. Come back and lock people down on defense. Come back and out effort everyone that guards you.

Cook simply isn't going to be Draymond. He wants to be, but he isn't. He is Montrezl Harrell. That should be the model of a player that he looks at and there is still great value in a guy that crashes the board relentlessly, challenges shots and outworks everyone.
He needs to be Reggie Evans or Dennis Rodman.

douglasbader

Reaction score

Cook simply isn't going to be Draymond. He wants to be, but he isn't. He is Montrezl Harrell. That should be the model of a player that he looks at and there is still great value in a guy that crashes the board relentlessly, challenges shots and outworks everyone.
He is much more offensively gifted than either of them. Montrezl Harrell is the perfect modern role model for him.

I also think Fran isn't going to be hard selling him on coming back and will soft sell it and tell him to come back because he wants to. That should actually help humble him.

The Incredible Hawk

Will Spineboard You
Reaction score

He is much more offensively gifted than either of them. Montrezl Harrell is the perfect modern role model for him.

I also think Fran isn't going to be hard selling him on coming back and will soft sell it and tell him to come back because he wants to. That should actually help humble him.
Oh I agree, but if he can be a monster on the boards and defend well then the offense will be there for the taking.

nolookpass

Feels the Bern
Reaction score
they need to run the offense thru Garza and Weiskamp next year and Cookie can be a garbageman.

Vacations at the Wisconsin Dells
Reaction score
Dailey isn't going anywhere, as much as we want him to. If I had to bet, I would say Cook will return.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
Connor did literally exactly what I told everyone he would do before the season. The frequency with which this topic comes up is absurd.

douglasbader

Reaction score
I can think of only a single time all year either bohannon or Connor weren't on the floor in a real game situation and that was today. It of course was an immediate turnover by Dailey because he sucks.

Connor did his job this year.

StinkyMcFadden

She/Her
Reaction score
I think we can all agree that his job next year should be playing baseball.

StinkyMcFadden

She/Her
Reaction score
There's no way that Fredrick and Toussaint aren't at least his equal in the ball handling category. The bar is laying on the floor and I think they can both step over it.

StinkyMcFadden

She/Her
Reaction score
Fredrick and Toussaint don't play lacrosse or any other spring sports, do they?

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
There's no way that Fredrick and Toussaint aren't at least his equal in the ball handling category. The bar is laying on the floor and I think they can both step over it.
Connor is the best ball handler on the team. It’s not particularly close.

Vacations at the Wisconsin Dells
Reaction score
Connor did literally exactly what I told everyone he would do before the season. The frequency with which this topic comes up is absurd.
Link to you saying it before the season?

StinkyMcFadden

She/Her
Reaction score
He should use those ball handling skills to go somewhere on occasion. Shake himself loose for a 3 or drive the lane and dish or finish. LOL.

Thomas Wolsey

Likes Your Post
Reaction score
It would be great if he were like 3rd. Or if he could shoot >35% from three.

Hawk&Balls

NOT a member
Reaction score
Connor handles LWades balls the best in the Feller Room

Thomas Wolsey

Likes Your Post
Reaction score
I would be all about having Connor play less, but Moss hands the ball to the opponent when he gets a lot of pressure. And Dailey lol.

Thomas Wolsey

Likes Your Post
Reaction score
If Toussaint is good enough to play, Cook would be fun going to the rim, like Olesani was. And Patrick will be able to finish some of the backscreen stuff White made a living off of, eapecially if he is a threat to shoot.

Hawk&Balls

NOT a member
Reaction score
If Toussaint is good enough to play, Cook would be fun going to the rim, like Olesani was. And Patrick will be able to finish some of the backscreen stuff White made a living off of, eapecially if he is a threat to shoot.
Instead Cook will bring the ball up the court and will turn it over or shoot from 19 feet.

Thomas Wolsey

Likes Your Post
Reaction score
Instead Cook will bring the ball up the court and will turn it over or shoot from 19 feet.
Having zero guards that can get into the lane is a big part of Cooks perceived problems.

Reaction score
Moss' ball handling is so disappointing for a 4th year guard who had a redshirt.

If Connor can get his shot to where it was in high school, he's a solid backup guard. He went 4-12 from 3 the last 6 games which was at least a step forward. He had a very solid first month of the season when he was attacking more, then really never looked to score and became much less effective in Big Ten play. Not sure if he can keep up the two sport thing but I'm guessing he'll try it at least one more year.

nolookpass

Feels the Bern
Reaction score
you think a 170 pound Patrick will be ready for the Big 10 next year?

Billy Butters

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
He should use those ball handling skills to go somewhere on occasion. Shake himself loose for a 3 or drive the lane and dish or finish. LOL.
The crazy thing is bohannon is probably worse at driving, finishing, and dishing than Connor. Luckily he's the best shooter in school history though. It's amazing how far these guys got with the horrible defense and terrible PG play outside of shooting.

I just want Weiskamp and Garza to have a PG that takes a little pressure of them and makes the game easier for all the skill that's on the roster.

Thomas Wolsey

Likes Your Post
Reaction score
To play backup minutes? Sure.

hawkeyealum

Subscribes to Playboy for the articles
Reaction score
At what spot? If you assume he’s the four like white and cook comes back that means he’s also competing with Nunge and Pemsl. I think if they stick him at the three he will have the same problems Nunge did as a freshman

Creed

Wears Adult-Sized Underoos
Reaction score
Having zero guards that can get into the lane is a big part of Cooks perceived problems.
Catching the ball is not a strength of his. With a PG that can get into the lane, I think that becomes more of a glaring weakness.

Thomas Wolsey

Likes Your Post
Reaction score

StinkyMcFadden

She/Her
Reaction score
The crazy thing is bohannon is probably worse at driving, finishing, and dishing than Connor.
This is not possible.

Connor drives down the right side of the lane and shoots across his body with his left hand while elevating 1 inch. bohannon is not great at finishing, but he has done it before.

Billy Butters

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
At what spot? If you assume he’s the four like white and cook comes back that means he’s also competing with Nunge and Pemsl. I think if they stick him at the three he will have the same problems Nunge did as a freshman
I don't see that comparison at all based on the 5 minutes of highlight videos I've watched. Patrick has alot more wiggle and lateral quickness than Nunge or White. I think he is a SF all the way and looks like he could be a very good defender.

Billy Butters

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
The crazy thing is bohannon is probably worse at driving, finishing, and dishing than Connor.
This is not possible.

Connor drives down the right side of the lane and shoots across his body with his left hand while elevating 1 inch. bohannon is not great at finishing, but he has done it before.
bohannon is a career 36% 2-point shooter. That is amazingly bad. For reference Connor is 43%.

champion_thedrinker

L. Wade Jr.
Reaction score
This is not possible.

bohannon is a career 36% 2-point shooter. That is amazingly bad.
Well, he shouldn't be the primary ball handler on a competitive team.

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
This needs to be the teams motto next year:

Billy Butters

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
This is not possible.

bohannon is a career 36% 2-point shooter. That is amazingly bad.
Well, he shouldn't be the primary ball handler on a competitive team.
Totally agree. Fran should obviously get blame for roster make-up but he did a hell of a job this year overcoming some huge team weaknesses.