**2019 Iowa Basketball Off-Season Thread**

hawkeyealum

Subscribes to Playboy for the articles
Reaction score
Maishe Dailey on this roster is a criminal offense

hawkeyealum

Reaction score
For all this shit moss gets for his turnovers he only has four more than Connor while playing 200 more minutes

Hawk&Balls

NOT a member
Reaction score
Moss gets more shit because he plays more minutes. And shoots that stupid pull up from two feet inside the 3-point line.

The Full Monte

Does Weirdo Fat Guy Shit
Reaction score
Connor did literally exactly what I told everyone he would do before the season. The frequency with which this topic comes up is absurd.

I don’t think the issue is Connor, as much as it is the lineups that we often saw him in.

Fran’s rotations continued to be baffling for way too many games this season.

Billy Butters

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
Connor sucked this year and I hope Toussaint takes every minute of his next year but you have to take into account Fran's subbing patterns. With the line changes Connor was on the court alot with Baer/Kriener/Dailey.

HawkBall23

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Moss gets more shit because he plays more minutes. And shoots that stupid pull up from two feet inside the 3-point line.
I know sometimes it is done to shake a defender for space on a shot, but its so flipping frustrating to see Moss pump-fake an open enough 3 just to take a step or two inside the line to shoot a low-percentage 2-pt shot.

His attempt at "hero ball" in the first couple of minutes of the OT was a huge minus, as well.

The Full Monte

Does Weirdo Fat Guy Shit
Reaction score
Connor sucked this year and I hope Toussaint takes every minute of his next year but you have to take into account Fran's subbing patterns. With the line changes Connor was on the court alot with Baer/Kriener/Dailey.

This lineup combo happened wayyyyyyy too Fucking often

The Full Monte

Does Weirdo Fat Guy Shit
Reaction score
I think the minutes breakdown is the more useful discussion for next season.

Assuming Cook is back....and you’re basically just losing Baer’s 650 minutes....where do we see:
- Nunge
- Pemsel
- Toussaint
- Fredrick

hawkeyealum

Reaction score

Assuming Cook is back....and you’re basically just losing Baer’s 650 minutes....where do we see:
- Nunge
- Pemsel
- Toussaint
- Fredrick
And Patrick

hawkeyealum

Reaction score

Hawk&Balls

NOT a member
Reaction score
Could I tell you his first name right now? No. But I know his last name is Pemsl.

Reaction score

- Nunge
- Pemsel
- Toussaint
- Fredrick
Based on nothing but the nature of college basketball, it's unlikely that every player comes back and is healthy. Something will happen.

CurdMan

TurdMan DDS
Reaction score
A couple of thoughts...

- Like I said about Pemsl after last season, there is a place for Connor on this team even though he will never likely be a starter. If for no other reason, I want Connor on the floor with bohannon closing out games. This team isn’t deep at guard and having two ball handlers and excellent free throw shooters in at the end of most of our wins this year was really important. It will only be more important when bohannon graduates.

- Two somewhat interesting things today: the man to man worked against one of the most athletic teams iowa has faced. And Moss was on the floor in crunch time in regulation. Are either of those things sustainable for next year?

- I really hope Fran uses Nunge down low and not at the 3. We have missed a shot blocking presence. Jack can help with that. That means Pat probably backs up Joe W next year.

- You can tell that physicality flips a switch for Joe. He gets a look in his eyes and he has the athleticism to allow him to take over games. He understands his importance and is going to be the center piece for the next 2-3 years.

- Hope Cook comes back. He is a machine at drawing fouls. But if he doesn’t, I think Nunge hitting 3s at a decent clip will help spacing and may actually allow more space for Garza to go to work.

Can’t wait for next year already. Plenty of talent and experience to make a real run. Despite a tough month, really happy that Fran is Iowa’s coach.

hawkeyealum

Reaction score
A couple of thoughts...

- Like I said about Pemsl after last season, there is a place for Connor on this team even though he will never likely be a starter. If for no other reason, I want Connor on the floor with bohannon closing out games. This team isn’t deep at guard and having two ball handlers and excellent free throw shooters in at the end of most of our wins this year was really important. It will only be more important when bohannon graduates.

- Two somewhat interesting things today: the man to man worked against one of the most athletic teams iowa has faced. And Moss was on the floor in crunch time in regulation. Are either of those things sustainable for next year?

- I really hope Fran uses Nunge down low and not at the 3. We have missed a shot blocking presence. Jack can help with that. That means Pat probably backs up Joe W next year.

- You can tell that physicality flips a switch for Joe. He gets a look in his eyes and he has the athleticism to allow him to take over games. He understands his importance and is going to be the center piece for the next 2-3 years.

- Hope Cook comes back. He is a machine at drawing fouls. But if he doesn’t, I think Nunge hitting 3s at a decent clip will help spacing and may actually allow more space for Garza to go to work.

Can’t wait for next year already. Plenty of talent and experience to make a real run. Despite a tough month, really happy that Fran is Iowa’s coach.
The fact that Baer had twice as many blocks as the next guy is pathetic

Billy Butters

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
And Patrick

Exactly

Some of this just doesn’t add up to me.
It all adds up to a fran shitshow trying to play everyone. Dailey needs to GTFO to help things out
Dailey isn't the person that scares me. Fran has never really been all in on Dailey even when we didn't have any options last year and he's only getting 10 mpg.

If Cook and Pemsl both come back that's the scary scenario IMO. I feel like Fran really likes Cook/Garza/Nunge/Kriener/Pemsl. If they don't make the decision for him that will be a shitshow.

hawkeyealum

Reaction score
Is there any chance Cook or Kriener are on track to graduate

HawkLax6

Thinks the 2 Deeps Matter
Reaction score
The crazy thing is bohannon is probably worse at driving, finishing, and dishing than Connor.
This is not possible.

Connor drives down the right side of the lane and shoots across his body with his left hand while elevating 1 inch. bohannon is not great at finishing, but he has done it before.
bohannon is a career 36% 2-point shooter. That is amazingly bad. For reference Connor is 43%.
FG% at the Rim (https://hoop-math.com/Iowa2019.php):

bohannon - 36.0%
Connor - 48.8%

I am not expecting Connor to be some stud or want him to start next season but he is a more than serviceable Big Ten basketball player. This is becoming another Woodbury thing where people who dislike him really dislike him even though his value doesn't always show up in the box score.

The Incredible Hawk

Will Spineboard You
Reaction score
I know sometimes it is done to shake a defender for space on a shot, but its so flipping frustrating to see Moss pump-fake an open enough 3 just to take a step or two inside the line to shoot a low-percentage 2-pt shot.

His attempt at "hero ball" in the first couple of minutes of the OT was a huge minus, as well.
If he is trying to create space then he should spend the entire summer on driving hard and step-back 3.

Berzerkenpas

Desperately Wants a Mod-Edited Tag Line
Reaction score
with everyone back:

pg: bohannon, connor, toussaint
sg: moss, fredrick
sf: wesikamp, patrick
pf: cook, nunge, (pemsl)
c: garza, kreiner (nunge)

watches from the bench: dailey

with pemsl's injury history, he may not play very much.

hawkeyealum

Reaction score
with everyone back:

Everyone knows the positions. The argument is how the minutes are distributed, particularly at shooting guard, IMO if you assume bohannon gets minutes there as well so Connor and/or touissant can play. bohannon played the most minutes this year and I don’t see that changing all that much

Thomas Wolsey

Likes Your Post
Reaction score
with everyone back:

Everyone knows the positions. The argument is how the minutes are distributed, particularly at shooting guard, IMO if you assume bohannon gets minutes there as well so Connor and/or touissant can play. bohannon played the most minutes this year and I don’t see that changing all that much
In an ideal world, Frederick or Patrick are servicable. Those to combine for 15 minutes. Moss’ minutes stay the same or decrease if he doesn’t get better, and Connor only plays due to illness or injury, with Toussaint taking his minutes.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
I think some mix of Patrick, CJ, and Connor fill up Baers minutes. No reason you can’t play a third guard there at times in addition to Patrick who is the more traditional SF. plus I’m guessing we will go small at times with Patrick at the 4 similar to what we did with White. I don’t really see CJ playing more than 5-6 minutes per game this year and probably even fewer in the big ten. I think it’s important to find 10-12 mpg for Joe T next year so he’s ready for a full workload after Jordan leaves. Either way the shooting profile of this team changes drastically with Jordan, Moss, and Baer all leaving within two years and no proven replacements behind them.

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
Iowa is going to be elite on the offensive end no matter what. They are loaded with shooters and skilled players.

The whole thing again comes down to being physical on offense and good on defense (and of course finding a way to not have the offense go in the tank which was the bigger problem late in the year). I hope that the second half of the game yesterday shows them how effort and aggressiveness is what it takes and that they are fully capable of it. They did it against a Top 5 team and nearly had a historic comeback.

No reason they can't do that for an entire season. Make a leap into the Top 75 or hopefully the Top 50 and they are going to be looking at contending for a conference championship and a high seed in the NCAA Tournament.

Reaction score
I think Connor will be a good player but stinky McFadden was bringing the lulz.

Also, is Joe W not allowed to handle the ball? He seems tougher than anybody else and like he may be able to get a shoulder by someone reaching in on him 40 feet from the hoop

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
I’m guessing the second half yesterday will have a positive impact on ticket sales next year. If they lose that game by 25 it’s all fire Fran, fire Barta, and who cares they’ll just choke.

Now people are legit excited about what nexts years team could be if Cook comes back.

Tennessee played a February Big Ten style against Iowa and Iowa actually responded by attacking the basket. First time all year they did that against that style and Iowa actually locked in in man defense.

All year we complained about how the other team was physical and Iowa refused to play that type of game, then yesterday you had Jordan shoving their screener multiple times and 3 guys (again Wieskamp set the tone here) crashing the offensive glass. No reason you can’t play 14 or 15 Big Ten games with that mentality.

Revolver

Will Ruin Your Thread and Crush Your Dreams
Reaction score
I’m guessing the second half yesterday will have a positive impact on ticket sales next year. If they lose that game by 25 it’s all fire Fran, fire Barta, and who cares they’ll just choke.

Now people are legit excited about what nexts years team could be if Cook comes back.

Tennessee played a February Big Ten style against Iowa and Iowa actually responded by attacking the basket. First time all year they did that against that style and Iowa actually locked in in man defense.

All year we complained about how the other team was physical and Iowa refused to play that type of game, then yesterday you had Jordan shoving their screener multiple times and 3 guys (again Wieskamp set the tone here) crashing the offensive glass. No reason you can’t play 14 or 15 Big Ten games with that mentality.
I don't know about all that. There are plenty of people that want Cook gone here and all over social media.

Hawkeye_Pierce

May Have Fondled a Tranny
Reaction score

bohannon stands to benefit if Toussaint can handle the primary ball-handling duties. Trying to bring the ball up with a TN defender raping him took a lot out of him. You could probably count on one hand the number of really clean looks he had from 3. He'll be a lot more effective getting kick-out passes from the post, or running through screens.

Toussaint can make an impact as a true freshman. This isn't football.

hawkeyealum

Reaction score

bohannon stands to benefit if Toussaint can handle the primary ball-handling duties. Trying to bring the ball up with a TN defender raping him took a lot out of him. You could probably count on one hand the number of really clean looks he had from 3. He'll be a lot more effective getting kick-out passes from the post, or running through screens.

Toussaint can make an impact as a true freshman. This isn't football.

I feel like Connor will be the equivalent of the white defensive back/wide receiver here.

bohannon running off screens would be more effective with a PG who can create a shot on his own and his a threat to shoot himself, neither of which Connor was/is. He averaged 20 min this year but I never felt that it benefitted bohannon coming off screens much.

HerkyHopeful

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
I bet CJ Frederick has a MAGA hat
This is legitimately hilarious and I had no idea he went to the Covington Catholic school.

I think Cook and Dailey are gone, if that's the case I can't wait to see the team poster. I hope Cook stays

Last edited:

WCFHawkeye

actually likes the XFL
Reaction score

I don't know about all that. There are plenty of people that want Cook gone here and all over social media.
I am very excited for next year, but put me in the I hope Cook leaves camp.

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score
Cook is a better rebounder than Iowa fans give him credit for and is elite at drawing contact and getting to the line. LOL at wanting him gone in favor of the hypothetical of more Pemsl or Nunge.