**2020-2021 Iowa Basketball Season Thread**

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score
i get that, but Fran is 10 games over .500 if you take out his first year, 12 if you take out his first two. They all count, but it’s up to the fan on how you want to judge a coach. Which is a more accurate representation of a coaches ability?

if you look Fran vs Dr Tom with primarily guys they recruited, they are basically the same. Yet one is a beloved legend and the other is a lightning rod.

fran has accomplished exactly what he was hired to do and more.
I’m not disagreeing with you. I’m specifically responding to the tweet above.

Reaction score
Ohio State is one of the worst defensive teams in the conference. It wasn’t so much the officiating calling anything as much as they really don’t care about that end of the floor.
The officials called some bumps/hand checking early and that freed up our offense. That’s huge for Fran’s motion offense. Everyone is gonna bang on Luka down low but if the guards can move freely, without all the bs hand checking/ bumping, this offense is lethal.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
Fuck. This topic makes me want to walk into walmart and punch every iowa fan I see.

we are currently a top 5 team because:

1. He recognizes that we need to play a style that’s unique in the conference that can fit the kids we can recruit without McDonald’s bags.
2. Fran beat out 3 dozen schools for the DC player of the year and then developed him into the best player in the country
3. Fran got a blue chip in-state guard who had Duke reaching out until signing day to commit early due to reviving the program
4. Found borderline top 150, skilled kids to plug in around them.
5. He identified talented but not elite in state kids with a chip on their shoulder and built a style that fit them
6. He has a huge dick and was able to convinced an attractive, much younger, all American attorney with a bright future to have his children.

people don’t appreciate this because:
1. He’s not overly nice to media
2. He gets his team ranked too highly in December and January.

FUCK!

Creed

Wears Adult-Sized Underoos
Reaction score
I’m not doing my own fucking research, but before Fran Iowa was the laughingstock of the big ten.

Since Fran, Iowa is definitely above northwestern, Nebrantska, penn state, Minnesota & Rutgers for sure. Then maybe Indiana and Maryland although they’ve got more prestige.

Given the dumpster fire that was this program, being in the top half is a fucking miracle.

Orestes

Invisible
Reaction score
This is dumb as fuck and sounds like my daughter trying to explain her way out of getting caught a lie.

"I know it's called the Fran Fade, or the February Fade, but that's not what it's about. It's because as a program blah blah blah."
Morehouse also couldn’t do the simplest bit of research himself. Sweet Sixteen was in the 98/99 season. Alford’s first year was 99/00.

Revolver

Will Ruin Your Thread and Crush Your Dreams
Reaction score
Can you imagine being such a douche that you tweet that shit after yesterday’s win? Morehouse played the whole OUTRAGE card during the summer football fiasco and then asked the kicker about pineapple on pizza at the first press conference. He is a phony pussy tryhard and is as bad as any of the beat writers.

Will McCoy

Douchebag
Reaction score
Fuck. This topic makes me want to walk into walmart and punch every iowa fan I see.

we are currently a top 5 team because:

1. He recognizes that we need to play a style that’s unique in the conference that can fit the kids we can recruit without McDonald’s bags.
2. Fran beat out 3 dozen schools for the DC player of the year and then developed him into the best player in the country
3. Fran got a blue chip in-state guard who had Duke reaching out until signing day to commit early due to reviving the program
4. Found borderline top 150, skilled kids to plug in around them.
5. He identified talented but not elite in state kids with a chip on their shoulder and built a style that fit them
6. He has a huge dick and was able to convinced an attractive, much younger, all American attorney with a bright future to have his children.

people don’t appreciate this because:
1. He’s not overly nice to media
2. He gets his team ranked too highly in December and January.

FUCK!
Who are you and when did you murder L Wade?

Stomper15

Not A TOR Poster
Reaction score
Fran was on Dakich today -- good interview deep linked to when he joined the show.

Said that Kris and Keegan have been getting reps at the 5 and they've been working Josh O in as well. But Kris and Keegan are the backup 5's as of now.

Also of interest to this group, admitted he played way too much zone and they were settling back. In fact, said their zone wasn't very good.

Last edited:

CurdMan

TurdMan DDS
Reaction score
I had forgotten this but NCAAT rules say that the top 4 teams in a conference should be placed into different regions if they are among the top 16 seeded teams in the country.

If we assume that Michigan and one of Iowa, OSU, and Illinois snag the last one seed, that means the two others from that group would be in the Gonzaga and Baylor regions. Would be pretty damn nice to be that 4th one seed and have a team like Alabama or Villanova as the 2.

CurdMan

TurdMan DDS
Reaction score
Would be nice to be a #1 seed, but nothing less than running the full table is going to do it. Not many 7 loss teams get a #1 seed.
True, but big ten teams played a 20 game gauntlet this year. More games against better teams than ever before.

And remember, we are comparing ourselves with Illinois, OSU, Alabama, and maybe West Virginia for that one seed. Those last two have clearly weaker resumes than the big ten teams. Those other teams aren’t running the table, so I’m not convinced Iowa needs to. Running the table (beating Illinois in Indy) and losing a competitive game with Michigan in the BTT final might do it

Shawneemicks

Has said plenty of things dumber than this
Reaction score
I want to point out that the committee has greatly under-seeded Big Ten teams going on a decade now. I expect that to continue even though most people believe the league is really good.

ivan_drago

Fiercely Advocated for Unlimited Transfers
Reaction score
I want to point out that the committee has greatly under-seeded Big Ten teams going on a decade now. I expect that to continue even though most people believe the league is really good.
Not with the NET rankings taking a front seat.

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
Just checked in on the latest RPI numbers. Maryland just jumped 3 spots after beating Michigan State at home to #36. Iowa just dropped 1 spot after beating #24 Ohio State on the road to one spot behind Maryland at #37. Ohio State actually moved up 1 spot after losing 3 straight.

What a system.

Dr. Zaius

IS A DOCTOR
Reaction score
Women’s college basketball player —> Surgeon —> chair(wo)man of the board of Fareway

Shawneemicks

Has said plenty of things dumber than this
Reaction score
Not with the NET rankings taking a front seat.
Honest question, were those rankings available a couple weeks ago, whenever that was when they first seeded things? Wasnt Iowa a full couple seeds worse on that than most people believed?

ivan_drago

Fiercely Advocated for Unlimited Transfers
Reaction score
Honest question, were those rankings available a couple weeks ago, whenever that was when they first seeded things? Wasnt Iowa a full couple seeds worse on that than most people believed?
No. They were a 4 seed when the first set was released on Feb 9. Since then, they’re 5-1 with the only loss coming to Michigan.

nolookpass

Feels the Bern
Reaction score
Holy shit the Murray's both going to be better than their dad.
Kakert basically flapping his gums trying to prepare people and justify why the Murrays are huge gets and totally 6'8'' tall now.

I can't fucking believe Fran would give both of them a scholarship.

This might be a post to bump 4 years from now when they are both really good or whatever, but it seems like a blatantly retarded thing to do.

eclone

Former VEISHEA Exec Committee Member
Reaction score
If I watch Iowa games, they're usually background noise. Has Kris played more than a minute or two in any game. His brother jumped off the screen immediately the first playing time he got this year, which practically became a running HaLo trope. Has Kris not had the minutes to get the chance...or has he looked overmatched when he has gotten minutes?

JD720

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
If I watch Iowa games, they're usually background noise. Has Kris played more than a minute or two in any game. His brother jumped off the screen immediately the first playing time he got this year, which practically became a running HaLo trope. Has Kris not had the minutes to get the chance...or has he looked overmatched when he has gotten minutes?
He's gotten garbage minutes at the end of blowouts so it's hard to tell. According to Kenyon, there's not much difference between them, but there was only room for one of them in the regular rotation and Keegan was a little better. That's their dad talking of course, so take it with a grain of salt.

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
First, the "issue" was always directed towards Fran and the timing.

Second, and this may be hard for you to understand, but I've been very open multiple times that the Murray's have worked out wonderfully and Fran made nearly everyone look dumb.

Lee Beevers

They/Them
Reaction score
Am I wrong in thinking kris is more of a 2/3 who can play 4 where and Keegan is more of 3/4 who can play 5?

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score
IIRC, their dad has said that Kris is maybe more of a 3 and Keegan is more of a 4, so Kris is behind more guys given Iowa's current roster.

HerkyHopeful

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
I mean, virtually every poster on here thought the Murrays were reaches.

I know I even was pissed about Iowa missing on DJ Gordon and getting Perkins. Perkins now has played important minutes in big games and Gordon hasn't done shit at Pedo State