**2020-2021 Iowa Basketball Season Thread**

CurdMan

TurdMan DDS
Reaction score
I will watch the hell out of Iowa vs Southern. Black Friday has become one of the best sporting days on the year with Iowa basketball and then football kicking Nebrantska’s ass every year.

I do wonder if tv is going to be all screwed up with these early season games. I guess BTN doesn’t have anything better to show though and Iowa being top 5 will really help, hopefully

BBK

THE GRINGOOOOO
Reaction score
Top 50: 2 games (#2 and #23)
50-100: 1 (#67)
100-200: 0
200-300: 3 (#215, #263, #297)
300-357: 1 (#347)

Revolver

Will Ruin Your Thread and Crush Your Dreams
Reaction score
Not to go full *Valp0, but ol Revo will be at the Sanford Pentagon for that tilt.

I went full Valp0.

Stu Beagle

Has Tiny Onions
Reaction score
So what are the thoughts on the lack of fans affecting officiating and how that impacts Iowa?

Talkin' Goat

Lothario
Reaction score
So what are the thoughts on the lack of fans affecting officiating and how that impacts Iowa?
Probably neutral. Now is Izzo still a midget bitch that has his team mostly get away with beating the shit out of you? TBD but probably yes.

Luka and Connor bring an extra toughness to the team that helps with that. Especially in late game situations. Much less raping and pants shitting last year.

BBK

THE GRINGOOOOO
Reaction score
I think more fouls will be called and it will be a little less physical, which is to our advantage. It is natural of humans to be impacted by crowd noise and the momentum of a game. To not see everything with all the noise around them.

Fouls will be heard as well as seen moreso than before.

Speaking specifically of Izzo, if I'm a normal unbiased person and all I am hearing for 40 minutes is Tom Izzo screaming with his cry face, I imagine that would get rather annoying.

KitKatApples

NW Season Ticket Holder (except IA games)
Reaction score
What are you the fucking hotels.com guy now?

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score
I think more fouls will be called and it will be a little less physical, which is to our advantage. It is natural of humans to be impacted by crowd noise and the momentum of a game. To not see everything with all the noise around them.

Fouls will be heard as well as seen moreso than before.

Speaking specifically of Izzo, if I'm a normal unbiased person and all I am hearing for 40 minutes is Tom Izzo screaming with his cry face, I imagine that would get rather annoying.
The book Scorecasting talks about this.

Amazon product
Essentially, the theory is that the majority of "home field advantage" in sports is driven by referees being unconsciously biased by crowd noise.

Squat Cobbler

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
That's what made the NBA bubble so enjoyable. Very little referee bias. Just two teams going against each other straight up. I'm too lazy to calculate the final results, but I think away teams were winning at about a 10% clip over the historical average. Something like 43% of the time.