**2020-2021 Iowa Basketball Season Thread**

Vacations at the Wisconsin Dells
Reaction score

Whole schedule up!!!

EDIT-OK most of it

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
They still don’t have ISU on the schedule.

Hawkstrat

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
They still don’t have ISU on the schedule.

Probably worried about RPI.

Shpadoinkle

Tagline-havin' son of a bitch
Reaction score
Only one shot at Illinois, and its on the road?

Hawk_Kegmasters

Saw Spice World in Theaters
Reaction score
Iowa State will probably be Friday the 11th. Seems we usually get them Friday night.

Swingin' Dick Stanzi

Dirty Cheat
Reaction score
Pretty unlucky draw in terms of teams Iowa only plays once - Illinois, Michigan, Purdue, Penn State, Nebrantska, and Maryland. If they’re going to win the I am a giant douche this year, they’re going to have to earn it.

Fletch

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
The league can go fuck itself with all of those Sunday games.

Swingin' Dick Stanzi

Dirty Cheat
Reaction score
Pretty brutal 2nd half of the conference schedule, too.

@ Illinois
Ohio State
@ Indiana
Rutgers
@ MSU
@ Wisconsin
Penn State
@ Ohio State
@ Michigan
Wisconsin

eclone

Former VEISHEA Exec Committee Member
Reaction score
They last played on a Friday night in 2014. It has been a Thursday every year since then.
Usually working around finals/dead week. With the changed school schedules, not sure that's a factor. Will be dictated by getting the best TV slot I imagine.

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
The one time I don't give a fuck what the schedule looks like, just glad they have a schedule.

Hopefully by the end of the season there will be fans in the stands.

CurdMan

TurdMan DDS
Reaction score
Was thinking about my expectations for this year. I think top 5 is plausible but higher than I expect them to spend most of the year. Garza is so good and the offense has so much firepower that I think top 15-20 and top 4 in the conference is the floor. They are going to be able to just flat out outscore a lot of teams on the schedule without really needing to play much defense.

OTOH, the defense is still going to have issues because man for man there will still be nights where they get out athlete’d. They are again going to be a finesse team that will struggle with physical defenses.

I think the easiest way to bridge that gap is for Joe T to make a leap and become a guy who is consistently making good decisions. If he can do that it immediately gives Iowa a huge boost of athleticism and a guy who opposing point guards can’t beat off of the dribble.

The other thing that has to happen is Nunge has to be a solid contributor. Garza is going to have to avoid foul trouble and we’ve mentioned it before, Iowa hasn’t had a good defense under Fran since Woodbury and Olaseni graduated. Hopefully Nunge can be somewhat of a rim protector and solid rebounder. I’m not as high on him as others, but it should be the expectation for him this far into his career.

If those guys step up then I think it’s a top 5 caliber team that makes a deep run. If not, it’s still a team that competes for a douche title and finally overcomes the Sweet 16 drought. Which is a hell of a year at Iowa and if it happens Fran better not take shit. He deserves a ton of credit for putting this group together. It’s really impressive that he has developed this group of guys into a team that people are hyping so much.

Squat Cobbler

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
A backup defensive big man is definitely a concern. Not sure Nunge is going to help much in that area. Most reports are that Ogundele isn't ready. I'm hoping Patrick gets more minutes overall than Nunge. That would mean good things.

Shpadoinkle

Reaction score
A backup defensive big man is definitely a concern. Not sure Nunge is going to help much in that area. Most reports are that Ogundele isn't ready. I'm hoping Patrick gets more minutes overall than Nunge. That would mean good things.
I agree. In a very limited sample, Nunge appears to be a huge defensive liability.

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
Why won't Nunge help in that area? If anything, he is an ideal backup.

CurdMan

TurdMan DDS
Reaction score
I agree. In a very limited sample, Nunge appears to be a huge defensive liability.
Maybe. A lot of center talent from the big ten from a year ago is gone though. Jalen Smith, Tillman, Oturu, Teske, Wesson. I know new talent arrives every year, but Nunge should be able to compete for 10-15 minutes per game when needed and not get abused. Forget the offense and forget him being a 3 point shooter, that should be his expectation this year

Shpadoinkle

Reaction score
Maybe. A lot of center talent from the big ten from a year ago is gone though. Jalen Smith, Tillman, Oturu, Teske, Wesson. I know new talent arrives every year, but Nunge should be able to compete for 10-15 minutes per game when needed and not get abused. Forget the offense and forget him being a 3 point shooter, that should be his expectation this year
He needs to at least attempt to be a post player on offense, and be able to close on shooters on defense. Both are things he hasn't done in his very limited time with the Hawks so far.

I hope he stays healthy and is a valuable asset going forward, but my initial impression is that he's too plodding for what Fran wants to do.

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
He needs to at least give them what Kriener did.

In a perfect world, Kriener would have redshirted his first year.

Billy Butters

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
He needs to at least attempt to be a post player on offense, and be able to close on shooters on defense. Both are things he hasn't done in his very limited time with the Hawks so far.

I hope he stays healthy and is a valuable asset going forward, but my initial impression is that he's too plodding for what Fran wants to do.
I'm not sure how anyone can form an opinion on Nunge at this point with the role that he's going to play this year. We all know he can't defend the SF position but hopefully those days are over. Most centers suck in college anyway so I think he'll he fine at the 5 defensively and has more than enough skill to be a great backup offensively.

I just think back to how retarded Kriener was for most of his career and he was in the conversation for 6th man of the year as a senior. I think Nunge is a bigger version of Kriener and we get basically 3 senior years from him.

Talkin' Goat

Lothario
Reaction score
Kriener annoyed the fuck out of me most of the time, but he definitely had some random ass games where he was good to even great. He shouldn’t be that crazy hard to replace, but I’d sign up for the same type of production.