**2020-2021 Iowa Basketball Season Thread**

Shpadoinkle

Tagline-havin' son of a bitch
Reaction score
I'm not sure how anyone can form an opinion on Nunge at this point with the role that he's going to play this year. We all know he can't defend the SF position but hopefully those days are over. Most centers suck in college anyway so I think he'll he fine at the 5 defensively and has more than enough skill to be a great backup offensively.

I just think back to how retarded Kriener was for most of his career and he was in the conversation for 6th man of the year as a senior. I think Nunge is a bigger version of Kriener and we get basically 3 senior years from him.
100% agree, which is why I repeatedly say my opinion is based on a small sample. But to me he looks like a slower, softer Kriener. He has some good offensive tools but his foot speed on defense scares me. Maybe he’ll never be on the floor with luka, but if he is, corner threes are going to be wide open.

Greg Obrecht

Reaction score
Nunge is too plodding for Fran’s system? Have y’all watched Garza run? He hustles but the way he runs is the definition of plodding.

Greg Obrecht

Reaction score
Not exact parallels, but Nunge’s career at Iowa has kind of a Jake Kelly feel to it.

Hawkeye_Pierce

May Have Fondled a Tranny
Reaction score
My sister is friends with the Nunge family. Guess he died in his sleep. He’s had a ton exposure to covid due to his job but I don’t think the results of the autopsy have been released yet. The family is completely devastated. No way to prepare for something like that.

Creed

Wears Adult-Sized Underoos
Reaction score
Damn. Guy can’t catch a break. That is awful.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
Not exact parallels, but Nunge’s career at Iowa has kind of a Jake Kelly feel to it.
kellys timeline was brutal

-almost got ride pulled by Alford after he committed
-Alford leaves before he gets here
-mom dies in plane crash, parents were already divorced
-hates his new coach and transfers
-thinks about coming back, tears ACL
-never gets back healthy, passed up by Jake Odom
-brother struggles after moms death and kills himself

Hawkstrat

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
kellys timeline was brutal

-almost got ride pulled by Alford after he committed
-Alford leaves before he gets here
-mom dies in plane crash, parents were already divorced
-hates his new coach and transfers
-thinks about coming back, tears ACL
-never gets back healthy, passed up by Jake Odom
-brother struggles after moms death and kills himself
I didn't know that about his brother.

Reaction score
One of the few bright spots of the Criminal era. His career would've been similar to Devyn Marble's under Fran. He was a really good kid too. Just a brutal stretch of life events.

Dr. Zaius

IS A DOCTOR
Reaction score
Jake Kelly would have been so good under Fran.

Indiana State definitely tampered. I believe they bought him a Dodge Charger.
Ha, I saw him driving around town in that the week before he left

Swingin' Dick Stanzi

Dirty Cheat
Reaction score
Jake Kelly would have been so good under Fran.

Indiana State definitely tampered. I believe they bought him a Dodge Charger.

The Valley was dirty as fuck back then. I knew a kid at SIU around that time that was a pretty mediocre recruit and was gifted an Escalade for committing.

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
His second year the team started playing pretty good, had a 15 point lead at home against Minnesota. Then Cyrus Tate got injured. They played like shit the rest of that game and lost.

They then had a 3-4 game stretch where the offense was basically Kelly doing everything and David Palmer getting his 15 minutes of fame. After that the whole team transferred and the Criminal was done.

AZmessDAWG

Loved and Defended The Criminal Until the Bitter End
Reaction score
Was thinking about my expectations for this year. I think top 5 is plausible but higher than I expect them to spend most of the year. Garza is so good and the offense has so much firepower that I think top 15-20 and top 4 in the conference is the floor. They are going to be able to just flat out outscore a lot of teams on the schedule without really needing to play much defense.

OTOH, the defense is still going to have issues because man for man there will still be nights where they get out athlete’d. They are again going to be a finesse team that will struggle with physical defenses.

I think the easiest way to bridge that gap is for Joe T to make a leap and become a guy who is consistently making good decisions. If he can do that it immediately gives Iowa a huge boost of athleticism and a guy who opposing point guards can’t beat off of the dribble.

The other thing that has to happen is Nunge has to be a solid contributor. Garza is going to have to avoid foul trouble and we’ve mentioned it before, Iowa hasn’t had a good defense under Fran since Woodbury and Olaseni graduated. Hopefully Nunge can be somewhat of a rim protector and solid rebounder. I’m not as high on him as others, but it should be the expectation for him this far into his career.

If those guys step up then I think it’s a top 5 caliber team that makes a deep run. If not, it’s still a team that competes for a douche title and finally overcomes the Sweet 16 drought. Which is a hell of a year at Iowa and if it happens Fran better not take shit. He deserves a ton of credit for putting this group together. It’s really impressive that he has developed this group of guys into a team that people are hyping so much.
I dont think this will be a finesse team.