**2020-2021 Iowa Basketball Season Thread**

Shawneemicks

Has said plenty of things dumber than this
Reaction score
I think l
I was intrigued by a stat someone posted other night about 3 pt D being bad but not as bad as expected.

I did a little more digging, looking only at conference games. While the 3pt D % isn't horrendous as whole, over the last 5 years we have been last in the conf in allowing number of attempts and number of 3 pt makes almost every year. The best ranking in those 2 categories is 12th. % ranges from 7th in conf to last

it goes to show we are shit at guarding the three
and have done zero to improve it

TurdBurgler

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
That just means they player faster and have more possessions than other teams. Also maybe that they suck at 3% defense.

JR Hawks

Receives State Appropriations
Reaction score
Is Kenyon aware of HaLo? Perhaps he could join us in chat or start one of the game threads.

CurdMan

TurdMan DDS
Reaction score
Yea, I’m sure he has nothing better to do during games where his sons are playing than be in a chat. Reading this made me think I accidentally went to CyFan.
Lol cmon wanderer. Surely you jest

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score
Huge win today. They've got the game @Maryland on Thursday which should be winnable, especially with Morsell out. Then they've got a stretch with 5 home games out of the next 7, with the road games being at Northwestern and @ Illinois. Gotta pile up the wins now because the schedule in February gets brutal.

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score
Obviously he hasn't been right the last two games health wise, but Touissant needs to figure some things out. 2nd highest usage on the team, but he's the only player with o. efficiency < 100. Not shooting well, turning it over too often. His defense is good, but he also fouls way too much.

BluesHawk

Goes to Applebee’s for special occasions
Reaction score
Kenyon has been posting a little on TOS. Here are some bits and pieces. Kris will be a good one as well.

Kris actually had higher vertical and was more explosive coming in. Keegan has improved his vertical by over 4” since getting on campus.

My coaching advice for both of them going into this year was defense and rebounding will get you on the floor. That being said, Kris came into this year as a better rebounder than Keegan. He has always averaged more rebounds than Keegan. While both have practiced well, Keegan has been very consistent day to day in practice. Both continue to grind, but Kris is odd man out. If he is slotted at the 3, he is behind Joe W and Patrick. If he is slotted at the 4, he is behind Connor, Jack and Keegan. Kris is in a position similar to Ahron and Tony as being the odd men out on a top 10 team. My observations on his shot in warmups is it is a lot better. I went to drop off some things to them and Kris was in lifting and getting extra workout in before practice. They both are grinders with bright futures. Kris is one of the toughest players I have ever coached and when his number is called, he won’t disappoint!

BillyBob

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Fran has done a great job with the rotations this year. He hasn't expanded the rotation unnecessarily, he's stuck with guys who play well within a game, doesn't hesitate to bench guys when they suck. I don't really see anything to complain about with his personnel management this year.

Berzerkenpas

Desperately Wants a Mod-Edited Tag Line
Reaction score
as long as good JBo is showing up, you leave the starting lineup as it is. If he's not hitting, ok, there's now a problem with two weak-shooting guards in the lineup, but if he's hitting, ok.

Keegan gives you a reliable scorer and defender off the bench. Ulis looks like he can give a lot of production in limited minutes. Having those two come in prevents the infamous second unit droughts that previous Fran teams would suffer.

next year:

Ulis
CJ
Joe W
Keegan
Nunge or grad transfer

any scoring from the 5 would be gravy. There's a shooter, and three guys who can shoot or slash. you just need a center who can play some defense and rebound.

a second unit of Toussaint, Connor, Patrick, Ogundele or Nunge, maybe some Kris, maybe some Perkins, maybe some Sandfort would be more than adequate.

Brad Wesley

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
I'm just glad nobody is overreacting to keegan's solid play and that everyone is managing their expectations (RIP HaMo)
Do you think he’ll declare for the draft after this season?

Reaction score
I hate to be the “some of you guys are retarded” guy but sometimes you have to. In game chat is unbelievable sometimes. I know @douglasbader thinks chat does not count, but it does.

The crowd that rips Joe W constantly is retarded. Obviously, he was not great yesterday but he’s been really good this year. He was one on one on the break and some were saying he should have pulled it back. No! No he shouldn’t! He didn’t make it on that particular play but he’s an all I’m a giant douche level player. He should most definitely take it to the rack. More times than not, a good thing will happen. He’ll make it and/or get fouled.

The worst was when people were mad he “let” Myles Johnson tip one in on him late. Johnson is 6’11” 255 lbs. Use your fucking brain. The box out crowd is the worst. Bunch of miserable fucks.

End rant.

Hawk&Balls

NOT a member
Reaction score
I hate to be the “some of you guys are retarded” guy but sometimes you have to. In game chat is unbelievable sometimes. I know @douglasbader thinks chat does not count, but it does.

The crowd that rips Joe W constantly is retarded. Obviously, he was not great yesterday but he’s been really good this year. He was one on one on the break and some were saying he should have pulled it back. No! No he shouldn’t! He didn’t make it on that particular play but he’s an all I’m a giant douche level player. He should most definitely take it to the rack. More times than not, a good thing will happen. He’ll make it and/or get fouled.

The worst was when people were mad he “let” Myles Johnson tip one in on him late. Johnson is 6’11” 255 lbs. Use your fucking brain. The box out crowd is the worst. Bunch of miserable fucks.

End rant.
He had a 1-on-3 yesterday that he should.have pulled back and didn't.

nolookpass

Feels the Bern
Reaction score
So, to have a take, does one have to sit in a seat their parents paid for wearing a Hawks Nest t-shirt? Or is it doing Algebra in MacLean Hall that makes one a true fan
Stus prolly a real fan.

Stu Beagle

Has Tiny Onions
Reaction score
So, to have a take, does one have to sit in a seat their parents paid for wearing a Hawks Nest t-shirt? Or is it doing Algebra in MacLean Hall that makes one a true fan
All takes matters. Just putting a disclaimer on the shitty ones you can ignore.