**2020-2021 Iowa Basketball Season Thread**

nolookpass

Feels the Bern
Reaction score
there's also times when Luka has someone posted up and they wont throw it in, like they are afraid to make a TO. Maybe O'Keefe is coaching entry passes.

HerkyHopeful

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
the inability of bohannon, Gesell and other recent point guards to throw a simple entry pass into the post is befuddling, to say the least.
Touissaint has had some good moments with this, but he seems to be better with passing off of a drive. Fredrick and wieskamp generally are fine. Connor is great. I think Ulis will be a very much what Iowa fans have envisioned as needing in a point guard but he's going to take a little time. I could see him starting over Joe next year

nolookpass

Feels the Bern
Reaction score
Touissaint has had some good moments with this. Fredrick and wieskamp generally are ok. Connor is great. I think Ulis will be a very much what Iowa fans have envisioned as needing in a point guard but he's going to take a little time. I could see him starting over Joe next year
at times last year Toussaint really looked like he was going to be special. Kind of taken a step back this year.

HerkyHopeful

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
You mean good college basketball players make mistakes? Say it ain’t so.

I’d love to watch halo man play ball. I am sure they would make all the correct plays.

Some criticism is warranted but it’s generally over the top with Joe W.
A halo man ball game would be filled with all players catching and playing out of triple threat, always ready to shoot, lots of shot fakes, always in great defensive stances and ready to help, over communicating rotations on O and D, and most importantly slaps the floor when full court pressing.

Hawk_Kegmasters

Saw Spice World in Theaters
Reaction score
I really enjoyed the play vs Rutgers where bohannon stared at Luka posting his guy up for 3 seconds then finally tried to lob a post pass in there but the guy came around the backside and knocked it away resulting in a runout and then bohannon was motioning for Luka to seal his guy off on the post up. Not easy to keep that dude posted up for that long, Jordan.

HerkyHopeful

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
at times last year Toussaint really looked like he was going to be special. Kind of taken a step back this year.
He's still out of control too often. He can get to the basket though which is one thing other perimeter players struggle with.

HerkyHopeful

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
I really enjoyed the play vs Rutgers where bohannon stared at Luka posting his guy up for 3 seconds then finally tried to lob a post pass in there but the guy came around the backside and knocked it away resulting in a runout and then bohannon was motioning for Luka to seal his guy off on the post up. Not easy to keep that dude posted up for that long, Jordan.
bohannon is probably the worst passer from the point guard position since Lil Lick/Cully Payne. He makes Gesell look great. So many run-outs by the opposing team are 100% on him.

I think we can agree the only point guard attribute bohannon possesses is being short and shooting 3s.

nolookpass

Feels the Bern
Reaction score
the best part was bohannon jogging back on defense after the TO.

Stomper15

Not A TOR Poster
Reaction score

doesn’t look like the clip is posted yet. Cue all (but 247) beat writer bitterness and anger in 3...2...1...

Revolver

Will Ruin Your Thread and Crush Your Dreams
Reaction score
Ulis is going to become the guy you have always wanted at PG for the Hawks, looker. I’m fully confident of that.

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score
there's also times when Luka has someone posted up and they wont throw it in, like they are afraid to make a TO. Maybe O'Keefe is coaching entry passes.
I mean on one hand, it's working. The lack of turnovers is the strongest thing about Iowa's offense.

Fletch

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
That infuriated me. I nearly stroked out.

nolookpass

Feels the Bern
Reaction score
I mean on one hand, it's working. The lack of turnovers is the strongest thing about Iowa's offense.
sure. One reason they don't have many turnovers is they hardly have anyone driving to the basket other than Garza. Especially the guard court.

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score
sure. One reason they don't have many turnovers is they hardly have anyone driving to the basket other than Garza. Especially the guard court.
Right but it's working. They have the #1 offense in the country. Tough to criticize them stylistically. In terms of the "four factors", they're:

32nd in eFG%
5th in TO%
18th in OR%
88th in FTA/FGA

nolookpass

Feels the Bern
Reaction score
Right but it's working. They have the #1 offense in the country. Tough to criticize them stylistically. In terms of the "four factors", they're:

32nd in eFG%
5th in TO%
18th in OR%
88th in FTA/FGA
they have the number 1 offense in the country cause Garza is on the team, Im guessing. I don't know much about the advanced stats but Im guessing hes the most efficient player in the country or close to it.

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score
they have the number 1 offense in the country cause Garza is on the team, Im guessing. I don't know much about the advanced stats but Im guessing hes the most efficient player in the country or close to it.
He's #1 in terms of efficiency combined with usage. In terms of efficiency, he's 24th in the nation. On one hand, it's "easy" to be efficient. If you're a spot up shooter who takes 3-4 shots per game when you're wide open, you're likely to be fairly efficient. For example, CJ is more efficient than Garza. But he commands a lot less attention and takes a lot fewer shots. Being as efficient as Garza is when you're the focal point of the offense and they force feed you shots a bunch is what makes him so impressive.

Alan Lomax

has listened to a podcast about this thread.
Reaction score
Ulis is going to become the guy you have always wanted at PG for the Hawks, looker. I’m fully confident of that.
I commented to a friend that JoeT best get his shit figured out. 4 years is a long time to be backup point guard.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
But he’s on the team

Lee Beevers

They/Them
Reaction score
Iowa state has defeated Arkansas Pine Bluff and Jackson State in basketball. They have not defeated anyone else.

they gonna win 5 games this season?

Wanderer

Stupid Fuck
Reaction score
Iowa state has defeated Arkansas Pine Bluff and Jackson State in basketball. They have not defeated anyone else.

they gonna win 5 games this season?
Please take this to the Omnibus Steve Prohm thread. Don’t infect this one. Oh, and probably not.

LifelongHawk

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
Sports Illustrated doin homework
Wooden Award campaign
Luka Garza

Hear me out: Yes, we all knew Garza would enter the season as the favorite to win every national honor, a season after battling lottery pick Obi Toppin for the Wooden Award. But who could have predicted that Garza -- already an elite college player -- would make the significant improvements we've witnessed thus far? He is more accurate from the 3-point line (49% as compared to 36% last season) and charity stripe (74% versus 65%). He has five 30-point games this season, already matching last season's total. His offensive rebounding rate is up, and his turnover rate is down. Sure, everyone knew Garza would dominate. But he has somehow taken his game to another level.

Lee Beevers

They/Them
Reaction score
Please take this to the Omnibus Steve Prohm thread. Don’t infect this one. Oh, and probably not.
2020-2021 basketball season related only rather than all of Steve Prohm tenure related. Denied

hawkeyealum

Subscribes to Playboy for the articles
Reaction score
In an article in the athletic of buy/sell stock. Seth Davis says sell Iowa because of defense, without it being better isn't final 4 and mentioned Iowa is a team that could ruin a lot of brackets by losing opening weekend

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
In an article in the athletic of buy/sell stock. Seth Davis says sell Iowa because of defense, without it being better isn't final 4 and mentioned Iowa is a team that could ruin a lot of brackets by losing opening weekend
Seems racist

CurdMan

TurdMan DDS
Reaction score
I love how Iowa isn’t going to do anything in the tournament because of their defense. They can be really good all year long but once the tournament starts they are going to suck because of their defense

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
No shit. Like its not possible for a good defensive team to have a bad defensive game in the tournament and get knocked out.

HawkBall23

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Maybe I'm still coming down off the high from the game tonight, but Hawks looking good for a 9-1 finish after first half of the B10 sked and going into the @ILL game? 8-2 at the very worst??

1/10 vs MINN (Gophers not a good road team and its revenge game time!)
1/14 vs MSU (by far their worst team in years)
1/17 @ NW (likely the toughest hurdle in this stretch)
1/21 vs IU (struggles on the road some, can't finish games off)
1/24 vs NEB (no analysis needed)

hawkeyealum

Subscribes to Playboy for the articles
Reaction score
Northwestern playing like a bunch of nerds

Reaction score
This was a good listen. Knew there was some connection to Boo Buie but didn't know Fran coached him on their 4th grade AAU team in Albany when he was at Siena. Also didn't know Nunge was in Iowa City when they moved here. Knocked on their door and hung out with Connor but the Nunge's then immediately moved to Indiana.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
I bet Connor wondered what he did wrong

just kidding I bet he didn’t give a fuck