**2020-2021 Iowa Basketball Season Thread**

FrodoTBaggin

Balding and Demands Accuracy
Reaction score
Women's basketball is just an awful, awful product. I tried watching some of the Iowa girls vs PSU before the men's game and couldn't take it. If men had to wear 50 lb shoes, it would still be more entertaining.

The most glaring thing I noticed is that, besides the product being just awful, is girls from both teams would catch the ball on the wing and sort of survey the floor and take one hand of the ball and kind of pat the ball while they waited for something to develop or making a decision. And they ALL did it. Watch a few minutes of a game if you can stomach it and watch them all do it.

FrodoTBaggin

Balding and Demands Accuracy
Reaction score
Women's basketball is just an awful, awful product. I tried watching some of the Iowa girls vs PSU before the men's game and couldn't take it. If men had to wear 50 lb shoes, it would still be more entertaining.

The most glaring thing I noticed is that, besides the product being just awful, is girls from both teams would catch the ball on the wing and sort of survey the floor and take one hand of the ball and kind of pat the ball while they waited for something to develop or making a decision. And they ALL did it. Watch a few minutes of a game if you can stomach it and watch them all do it.
Or take a brick and smash one of your testicles. Just as enjoyable.

Hawkstrat

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Yeah, chick ball isn't a good product, but just ignore that fact. It's simply a different sport with a different record book. It would be like some kicker breaking the all time FG record and this chick busting through the wall to talk about how harmful it is to not include that Megan chick as the FG leader.

ivan_drago

Fiercely Advocated for Unlimited Transfers
Reaction score
I'm not going to sit here and be an asshole about her physical appearance. That's not needed. There's plenty to dive in regarding her insane inferiority complex and crying like the national media/Iowa fans don't celebrate Megan Gustafson/Caitlyn Clark enough. Jesus Christ.

It'd be different if Iowa fans had ignored/were ignoring women's basketball. They're not. There are some fans who want to build Megan a fucking statue.

Stu Beagle

Has Tiny Onions
Reaction score
On a related note, now that Garza is about to pass Marble...why was Marble not more liked by Iowa fans? BJ was way more popular despite Marble putting up way more impressive stats.

Thomas Wolsey

Likes Your Post
Reaction score
If we are going to pretend they are the same thing, I would say Luka would kick all their asses. But because I know they play a different game I won’t do that.

Mo T

Carnie Profiler
Reaction score
On a related note, now that Garza is about to pass Marble...why was Marble not more liked by Iowa fans? BJ was way more popular despite Marble putting up way more impressive stats.
At the time, Marble was very well liked, and probably more than BJ. As time went on, BJ made a name in the NBA while Marble flamed out. Plus, lots of personal issues later in life didn't help Marble's legacy. Plus, BJ had a more likeable face.

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
I’m pretty sure because cocaine and beating women

ivan_drago

Reaction score
Marble stiffed me with a bar tab once. So there's that. He owes me like $50.

Stu Beagle

Has Tiny Onions
Reaction score
At the time, Marble was very well liked, and probably more than BJ. As time went on, BJ made a name in the NBA while Marble flamed out. Plus, lots of personal issues later in life didn't help Marble's legacy. Plus, BJ had a more likeable face.
I was pretty young when he was at Iowa but I got the impression BJ was always more of a fan favorite, even before Marble had his legal issues

The Dad

Legitimately bald forever and stupid looking
Reaction score
BJ looked like a kid. Smiled all the time. Went on to play with Jordan.

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score
Yeah, chick ball isn't a good product, but just ignore that fact. It's simply a different sport with a different record book. It would be like some kicker breaking the all time FG record and this chick busting through the wall to talk about how harmful it is to not include that Megan chick as the FG leader.
Correct. Just because they both play basketball doesn't mean that they aren't different sports. I wonder what, for example, Brandee would say about the idea that we should throw away the women's record books in track and swimming in their entirety?

Mo T

Carnie Profiler
Reaction score
I was pretty young when he was at Iowa but I got the impression BJ was always more of a fan favorite, even before Marble had his legal issues
I guess "fan favorite" means two different things. The average grandma probably liked BJ better because of his looks. But, Roy Marble definitely got more publicity locally and nationally. He was one of the first "Baby Jordans" to pop-up as a nickname.

Last edited:

ivan_drago

Reaction score
Correct. Just because they both play basketball doesn't mean that they aren't different sports. I wonder what, for example, Brandee would say about the idea that we should throw away the women's record books in track and swimming in their entirety?
lol i literally just asked her that

Herky823

5 Shirt Larry
Reaction score
You should ask her.

I’m being serious.
Her answer here is pretty obvious - she's going to say whenever they talk about women's records they clarify the gender and that they should do the same for men. As in it's currently NCAA Basketball and NCAAW but should be NCAAM and NCAAW.

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score
I mean, generally speaking, when someone says that Luka Garza has a record in something I assume they're talking about men's basketball, the same way that when someone said Megan Gufstafson had a record in something I assumed they were talking about women's basketball.

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score
Her answer here is pretty obvious - she's going to say whenever they talk about women's records they clarify the gender and that they should do the same for men. As in it's currently NCAA Basketball and NCAAW but should be NCAAM and NCAAW.
They don't, though:

THIS TWEET DOESN'T MENTION ITS WOMENS BASKETBALL!! MEN'S BASKETBALL EXISTS! HURR DURR!!
But any non-moron reading this tweet knew that they were talking about women's basketball.

Herky823

5 Shirt Larry
Reaction score
It's clearly someone looking for a(n internet) fight. She's decided this is a wrong she can try to right.

It'd be like if you said someone was the fastest American ever and she countered with the fact that most of the countries in the Western Hemisphere are part of the Americas and you have to include them too.

kenos

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
I guess "fan favorite" means two different things. The average grandma probably liked BJ better because of his looks. But, Roy Marble definitely got more publicity locally and nationally. He was one of the first "Baby Jordans" to pop-up as a nickname.
The '86-87 SI season preview was kind of a kiss of death. It had this picture of Marble morphing into Jordan, with the caption that he would turn into another Jordan if he could.

It says a lot about the complete lack of imagination of many a sportswriter that just about any 6'4-6'6" power conference g/f who was black and could dunk pretty well was tagged "next Jordan," even if, like Marble, they had a questionable handle and not nearly the jump shot or one-on-one game that Jordan did....

The '89 SI draft preview nailed it when it noted that "all that flyin' and skyin' will get him into the lineup, but then what?"

Mo T

Carnie Profiler
Reaction score
The '89 SI draft preview nailed it when it noted that "all that flyin' and skyin' will get him into the lineup, but then what?"
It barely even got him into the lineup.

Reaction score
Marble was very well-liked during his Iowa playing career. But as others have mentioned, he was regularly compared to Jordan at a time when Jordan was really starting to put up freakish numbers in the NBA. There was an idiotic segment of Iowa fans (sound familiar?) who would call into radio shows and say things like, "Yeah, Marble had 22, but Jordan had 42."

Marble mentioned that the pressure to be a Jordan-type player is one of the things that pushed him into drug use.

HerkyHopeful

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score

Hawk24

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Wow. I hope you are each blessed with an athletic daughter so you're forced to tell her how terrible her sport is and that you won't be attending any of her games because it's an inferior product that's brutal to watch.

KitKatApples

NW Season Ticket Holder (except IA games)
Reaction score
Wow. I hope you are each blessed with an athletic daughter so you're forced to tell her how terrible her sport is and that you won't be attending any of her games because it's an inferior product that's brutal to watch.
I'm actually looking forward to it