**2020-2021 Iowa Basketball Season Thread**

Herky823

5 Shirt Larry
Reaction score
@Hawkstrat pointed this out on the last page. It wasn't just some random fan, it was a University employee all over Twitter #wElLaCtUaLlYiNg Iowa's Naismith candidate. Super weird.
Yeah...if it was an Illinois player or something getting recognized then it'd still be cringey but at least more understandable given her job revolves around promotion Iowa athletes. But it's really really weird to take away from an Iowa player's accomplishments.

Stu Beagle

Has Tiny Onions
Reaction score
Is Luka going to start a fashion trend here in Iowa with gaudy earrings and black shoes with white socks?

SuperHans

goes by the name "Ashton"
Reaction score
Lady loves basketball so much she looks like one

Hawk_Kegmasters

Saw Spice World in Theaters
Reaction score
Has anybody played zone on us all season? I imagine we would shoot them out of it pretty quickly but you’d think teams might try it to keep their big men out of foul trouble.

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
Has anybody played zone on us all season? I imagine we would shoot them out of it pretty quickly but you’d think teams might try it to keep their big men out of foul trouble.
There have been a couple games where teams threw it Iowa to give them a different look. Iowa just moved Connor to the foul line, the defense collapsed on him like they were suppose to and he found someone wide open each time.

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
I think Garza is going to have a monster finish to the year. He was shockingly (maybe understandably) nervous the last couple weeks leading up to passing Marble for the all time scoring record.

He seemed to really relax and looked like his old self after he finally passed him up. With that pressure off him and Iowa playing as an underdog in a road environment the next 2 games, won't be shocked to see him go off.

Shpadoinkle

Tagline-havin' son of a bitch
Reaction score
I think Garza is going to have a monster finish to the year. He was shockingly (maybe understandably) nervous the last couple weeks leading up to passing Marble for the all time scoring record.

He seemed to really relax and looked like his old self after he finally passed him up. With that pressure off him and Iowa playing as an underdog in a road environment the next 2 games, won't be shocked to see him go off.
I know this is captain obvious, but it would be great for him to have a signature performance in one of the next couple games to quell all this ayo talk.

ivan_drago

Fiercely Advocated for Unlimited Transfers
Reaction score
I know this is captain obvious, but it would be great for him to have a signature performance in one of the next couple games to quell all this ayo talk.
The Ayo talk is by some loudmouth Illinois homers for the most part (IE Bardo.)

No coaches are voting for Ayo and the majority of national media, while hearing rumbles, aren’t either.

Reaction score

No coaches are voting for Ayo and the majority of national media, while hearing rumbles, aren’t either.
it was refreshing when Ayo wasnt even co - PoW in the douche for this week with that sham triple double.

Billy Butters

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score

I actually like Bardo most of the time but he was calling a game this weekend and said his POY was Ayo and his COY was Matt fucking Painter.

ivan_drago

Reaction score
I actually like Bardo most of the time but he was calling a game this weekend and said his POY was Ayo and his COY was Matt fucking Painter.
I don’t. His insight is limited to reminding you people have “active hands,” and that he was part of the flying Illini.

He also had someone other than Morsell as DPOY. His entire group of awards was simply to look different. He’s a complete dipshit.

Debit One

Chad
Reaction score
I don’t. His insight is limited to reminding you people have “active hands,” and that he was part of the flying Illini.

He also had someone other than Morsell as DPOY. His entire group of awards was simply to look different. He’s a complete dipshit.
He should come to HaLo, where dipshits thrive.

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score
Non opponent adjusted, their defense hasn't been horrific in B10 play outside of that awful 4 game stretch (I included the Gonzaga game for context). Again, this is raw PPP, not opponent adjusted:

1614094919933.png

The MN game was an insane outlier - Iowa played decent defense for 75% of the game and then MN scored 29 points in the last 10 minutes and 19 points in a 5 minute OT.

Looking at the above, they've only won one shootout this year (vs MSU) and only lost one game where the D played fairly well (@ IND).

Last edited:

Fletch

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Non opponent adjusted, their defense hasn't been horrific in B10 play outside of that awful 4 game stretch (I included the Gonzaga game for context). This is raw PPP, not opponent adjusted:

View attachment 26202

The MN game was an insane outlier - Iowa played decent defense for 75% of the game and then MN scored 29 points in the last 10 minutes and 19 points in a 5 minute OT.

Looking at the above, they've only won one shootout this year (vs MSU) and only lost one game where the D played fairly well (@ IND).
This is interesting because at the beginning of the year most here thought that if Iowa was clicking on offense they’d be damn near impossible to beat. Clearly not the case. Defense still matters.

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
This is interesting because at the beginning of the year most here thought that if Iowa was clicking on offense they’d be damn near impossible to beat. Clearly not the case. Defense still matters.
I think people thought that as long as the defense wasn’t awful. You are right that defense matters and it just needs to be mediocre for Iowa to be really really hard to beat. If it’s terrible then of course they’re going to get beat a lot of nights.

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score
I think people thought that as long as the defense wasn’t awful. You are right that defense matters and it just needs to be mediocre for Iowa to be really really hard to beat. If it’s terrible then of course they’re going to get beat a lot of nights.
Yeah, they don't need to be good, they just generally need to be not too far above 1 PPP.

Stu Beagle

Has Tiny Onions
Reaction score
I’d argue Ayo doesn’t even have the most impressive stats on his own team

Reaction score
Non opponent adjusted, their defense hasn't been horrific in B10 play outside of that awful 4 game stretch (I included the Gonzaga game for context). This is raw PPP, not opponent adjusted:

View attachment 26202

Also worth noting the defensive improvement in the repeat game every time we’ve played an opponent twice.

ivan_drago

Reaction score
If you look at efficiency numbers, Ayo’s are very close to our first 2 guys off the bench.

Garza: 37.77
Dosunmu: 26.16
Murray: 25.48
Nunge: 25.06
to be fair, efficiency stats favor big guys big time

sergeanthulka

Is Frequently Requested at Local Karaoke Nights
Reaction score

View attachment 26202

Mikey posting about statistical outliers has me thinking the end of the world is nigh...