**2020-2021 Iowa Basketball Season Thread**

Bunk

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
More important than a 2 seed is getting into the quadrant without Zaga, UM and Baylor
I haven't seen a lot of Baylor, but from what I have seen I would much rather have Iowa play them than Gonzaga or UM.

Thanksgiving Dinner

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
I don't think getting another crack at Gonzaga would be a lost cause. They've had a soft schedule since December and I doubt Suggs would be as productive the second time around.

Swingin' Dick Stanzi

Dirty Cheat
Reaction score
The Ohio State game was a pretty good example of how good Iowa can be when the officials don’t let defenses play rapeball. They let a few obvious fouls go in the first couple minutes of the second half, but otherwise actually called fouls on handchecks, holding cutters, and didn’t let Ohio State’s bigs maul Garza with impunity. If that is the type of officiating we see in the Tournament - and it generally is - Iowa is more than capable of making a deep run.

Fritz Fequiere

Has a Master's from ISU worth millions
Reaction score
I hope the hawks play Michigan again. Obviously good things have happened if they do, but also:

1) The first game was an anomaly. They were all fucked in the head coming out of halftime after seeing Jack (in retrospect can't believe I didn't think about taking Michigan on the 2nd half line). I think the first half (down 3) is much more indicative of the matchup between the teams.

2) Michigan will likely have a 1 seed locked up and the hawks might be playing for a 1 seed.

Fritz Fequiere

Has a Master's from ISU worth millions
Reaction score
The Ohio State game was a pretty good example of how good Iowa can be when the officials don’t let defenses play rapeball. They let a few obvious fouls go in the first couple minutes of the second half, but otherwise actually called fouls on handchecks, holding cutters, and didn’t let Ohio State’s bigs maul Garza with impunity. If that is the type of officiating we see in the Tournament - and it generally is - Iowa is more than capable of making a deep run.
Were you crying when Liddell was trying to back down Connor and Connor kept bouncing him off? Also, are you able to bench 150 pounds?

Swingin' Dick Stanzi

Dirty Cheat
Reaction score
Were you crying when Liddell was trying to back down Connor and Connor kept bouncing him off? Also, are you able to bench 150 pounds?
If you enjoy watching Big Ten rapeball, you are an objectively stupid person. And if you want to see me bench more than 150 pounds, maybe you should stick around the next time your wife invites me over.

sergeanthulka

Is Frequently Requested at Local Karaoke Nights
Reaction score
I can't even tell the point you're trying to make here. What, other than attempting to stand his ground, was Connor supposed to do?

Greg Obrecht

Reaction score
Now we’re moving the goalposts to fit a narrative. It’s not really about fading down the stretch, it’s about tourney wins!

Last edited:

Verbal

The Brave Little Poster
Reaction score
Hey, wow, is there someplace I can pay that guy for his insight?

Shpadoinkle

Tagline-havin' son of a bitch
Reaction score
Now we’re moving the goalposts to for a narrative. It’s not really about fading down the stretch, it’s about tourney wins!

This is dumb as fuck and sounds like my daughter trying to explain her way out of getting caught a lie.

"I know it's called the Fran Fade, or the February Fade, but that's not what it's about. It's because as a program blah blah blah."

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score
This is dumb as fuck and sounds like my daughter trying to explain her way out of getting caught a lie.

"I know it's called the Fran Fade, or the February Fade, but that's not what it's about. It's because as a program blah blah blah."
"Really when I bitch about the Fran Fade on Twitter after a road loss to a top 25 team in early February, what I really mean is that I wish they would go on a deep tourney run."

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
Ohio State is one of the worst defensive teams in the conference. It wasn’t so much the officiating calling anything as much as they really don’t care about that end of the floor.

Thomas Wolsey

Likes Your Post
Reaction score
Ohio State is one of the worst defensive teams in the conference. It wasn’t so much the officiating calling anything as much as they really don’t care about that end of the floor.
They have nobody inside that can guard.

Thomas Wolsey

Likes Your Post
Reaction score
Also .500 in the giant douche is a mid seeded tournament team. I wish it were better, but it isn’t realistic for it to be MUCH better.

The Full Monte

Does Weirdo Fat Guy Shit
Reaction score
Are all collegiate sports writers this fucking stupid? Or has Iowa just been blessed with a special collection of dumbfucks? Is this a uniquely "Iowa" thing?

Last edited:

Mo T

Carnie Profiler
Reaction score
The officiating came into play with Iowa on the defensive end of the floor. Ohio State shot 15 or so less free throws than normal. At home.

nolookpass

Feels the Bern
Reaction score
Iowa shot 9 free throws and beat a top ten team on the road. crazy

Shpadoinkle

Tagline-havin' son of a bitch
Reaction score
Bad faith argument aside, the day after a road win over a top 5 team, Marc is getting pre-pissed about a tourney loss against an undetermined team in an undetermined round in one or both of the upcoming tournaments.

1614639883562.png

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
Iowa is a basically a .500 conference team under Fran. If you want them to be better than that, I get it, but then just say that.
i get that, but Fran is 10 games over .500 if you take out his first year, 12 if you take out his first two. They all count, but it’s up to the fan on how you want to judge a coach. Which is a more accurate representation of a coaches ability?

if you look Fran vs Dr Tom with primarily guys they recruited, they are basically the same. Yet one is a beloved legend and the other is a lightning rod.

fran has accomplished exactly what he was hired to do and more.

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
I know this will sound very CycloneFanatic, but think Fran is a bit better than a .500 coach in the Big Ten.

L. Wade pointed most of it out, but if you go off of when he got a majority of his own players, he's had 9 years and 8 of those have been good to pretty good and 1 of them terrible (2017-2018). He's finished 6th or better in conference those years.