**2020-2021 Iowa Basketball Season Thread**

demmert4

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
Seriously? You can’t imagine a world where the most elite programs in the country, with donor bases that are literally hundreds of times the size of other conference teams might have an easier time luring the highest profile players now that they’re completely unencumbered by NCAA regulations?
I don’t need to imagine. It’s happening right now. I’m not sure how it gets wider than it already is.

The Full Monte

Does Weirdo Fat Guy Shit
Reaction score
I’ll be awfully curious to see how the Third Wave feminists react to 3-4 football players getting paid 20-25k to shoot car dealer commercials

demmert4

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
How do you not see this getting infinitely worse?
There will still be 22 starters on a football team and 5 on a basketball team. Playing time matters. And I just don’t believe rich guys are out there dropping 100k on a third string left guard or backup big man.

And if it gets worse what will that mean? That Clemson, Ohio State, Bama and Oklahoma are in the playoffs every year instead 75% of the time? I just don’t think it will changes things from the way they are.

The Full Monte

Does Weirdo Fat Guy Shit
Reaction score
Shifting donations from the athletic department, where all students and the community benefits, to individuals is really stupid. There’s a finite amount of donor money.
This. The current NCAA regulations create a level of parity (benefits) for hundreds and hundreds of student athletes.

Stu Beagle

Has Tiny Onions
Reaction score
don’t think it will matter much for basketball. The best players are still going to blue bloods and straight to the nba once they change the rule.

hawkeyealum

Subscribes to Playboy for the articles
Reaction score
Also, this is stupid. If my child wants a jersey, hes going to want an Iowa jersey. It doesn’t matter what number it is. If it happens to be a #3 it is because that is the number the university released. The fact that bohannon wears that jersey is completely and totally irrelevant. He would have no interest in a bohannon jersey if he played for Kentucky instead.

You know the rules and the benefits when you agree to play. If it’s such a problem don’t play. You don’t have to.
My kids still wear a #14 basketball jersey. I think that may have been Jok but I really don’t know and certainly don’t care

demmert4

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
This. The current NCAA regulations create a level of parity (benefits) for hundreds and hundreds of student athletes.
Which makes my original point. These guys are probably going to make money on twitch stream, podcast, some autographs and camps. I just don’t think there’s a market of rich dudes out here throwing 100’s of thousands at the players on top of the donations to the university.

I could be way wrong but the only guys getting big that are going to get big money are the Zion’s or Trevor Lawrence types.

Kamala

Isn't Sure About Gasser
Reaction score
don’t think it will matter much for basketball. The best players are still going to blue bloods and straight to the nba once they change the rule.
And i have no problem with the NBA/NFL taking any 18 year old they want. I don’t see any reason they shouldn’t be able to. But that has nothing to do with the NCAA.

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
How much worse can you get? There’s only 2-3 teams right now that have a legit shot of winning a national title in football.
I’m trying to think of a college sport that isn’t heavily skewed towards the top teams in that sport. Men’s basketball is pretty much it and even that, the blue bloods have a huge advantage over everyone else.

It feels like there’s more parity because of the tournament format but of the last 29 national championships, 16 were won by either Duke, North Carolina, UCONN, and Kentucky.

The other 13 were won by Kansas, Villanova, Michigan State, Louisville, Florida, UCLA, Arizona, Syracuse, Maryland and Arkansas. So basically 1 in 10 years you might get what would be considered an outlier national champion based on all of those schools. (Syracuse, Maryland and Arkansas).

CleteyColgate

is a fucking idiot.
Reaction score
I’m trying to think of a college sport that isn’t heavily skewed towards the top teams in that sport. Men’s basketball is pretty much it and even that, the blue bloods have a huge advantage over everyone else.

It feels like there’s more parity because of the tournament format but of the last 29 national championships, 16 were won by either Duke, North Carolina, UCONN, and Kentucky.

The other 13 were won by Kansas, Villanova, Michigan State, Louisville, Florida, UCLA, Arizona, Syracuse, Maryland and Arkansas. So basically 1 in 10 years you might get what would be considered an outlier national champion based on all of those schools. (Syracuse, Maryland and Arkansas).
No team in either one of those groups will win the championship this year

Rolo Tomassi

Listless Vessel
Reaction score

There will be an outlier national champion this year - Iowa.

Reaction score
Let's go over this list.

1. This is obviously happening, entirely driven by state laws.
  2. Completely irrelevant grandstanding.The NCAA isn't setting these rules, they have deferred the decisions to state legislatures.
  3. Okay, a point that might make a difference.
  4. :roll:

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
The people that generally support Jordan donate little, and the people who think he sounds entitled donate a lot. Where does he think the money is going to come from?

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score
Let's go over this list.

1. This is obviously happening, entirely driven by state laws.
  2. Completely irrelevant grandstanding.The NCAA isn't setting these rules, they have deferred the decisions to state legislatures.
  3. Okay, a point that might make a difference.
  4. :roll:
I'm pretty sure that that's not how the Supreme Court works.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
You know this, how?
what do you mean? It’s generally younger folks that blindly support him, and people my age and older that understand the potential ramifications.

If the players want to make money, I am fine with it. I just think they are not only vastly over estimating the potential but also alienating the very people who made it possible.

Thomas Wolsey

Likes Your Post
Reaction score
Also love the horrific off balance shot from that pants-shitter Gesell.

Two losses to Iowa State during his tenure were solely attributable to him and his inability to not freak the fuck out with the game on the line.

Fuck.
I would seriously take this years Tony Perkins over senior year Gesell with the game of the line.

Hawk_Kegmasters

Saw Spice World in Theaters
Reaction score
This is the first time I realized that Woodbury didn’t even need to push the guy. Temple dude was directly under the basket and not in the position to grab that rebound.

The Dad

Legitimately bald forever and stupid looking
Reaction score
This is the first time I realized that Woodbury didn’t even need to push the guy. Temple dude was directly under the basket and not in the position to grab that rebound.
To be fair to that guy, he had to be confused and disoriented by how awful Gesell’s attempt was. Luckily for us, Woodbury had seen thousands of them.

Last edited:

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
When I saw Gesell in high school I thought he would be a multi year all conference player. Who knows how much his injury hurt him. Or maybe he had already maxed out his potential.

BBK

THE GRINGOOOOO
Reaction score
When I saw Gesell in high school I thought he would be a multi year all conference player. Who knows how much his injury hurt him. Or maybe he had already maxed out his potential.
Jesus, look at the guy.