2020 Football Recruiting

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
Blair also said that Craig signed and sent in his LOI so he technically is official.
Indiana’s HC was being a twat up until the last minute. BF gonna hang 50 on them next time they play.

He even “ran into” Craig at an IU bball game.
Tom Allen is supposedly the coach that the staff hate even more than Nebrantska/Iowa State. When they started pulling players regularly out of Indiana, Allen and his staff started negative recruiting against saying Kirk was retiring.

HerkyHopeful

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
I love the new early signing period and would guess 99% of the coaches love it as well. The hype and build up and shenanigans that you used to get leading up to the February signing date wasn't good for anyone.

So many kids flipping, shitty back alley recruiting, look at me bullshit and a pain in the ass for coaches right after bowl season.

Now they get to take the month of January to maybe sign another couple of players or concentrate on other things.
It also seems like there's a lot less recruiting going on during the season August - November, at least for Iowa, which is probably nice for the coaches as well.

HerkyHopeful

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Blair also said that Craig signed and sent in his LOI so he technically is official.
Indiana’s HC was being a twat up until the last minute. BF gonna hang 50 on them next time they play.

Tom Allen is supposedly the coach that the staff hate even more than Nebrantska/Iowa State. When they started pulling players regularly out of Indiana, Allen and his staff started negative recruiting against saying Kirk was retiring.
So they hate Frost/Nebrantska, Fleck/Minnesota, Campbell/ISU, and Allen/Indiana. They've owned those schools the last 5 years.

I wish Kirk hated Chryst like he hated Bret Bielema. The results still weren't great but better than the past 7 years

Bob

Reaction score

So they hate Frost/Nebrantska, Fleck/Minnesota, Campbell/ISU, and Allen/Indiana. They've owned those schools the last 5 years.

I wish Kirk hated Chryst like he hated Bret Bielema. The results still weren't great but better than the past 7 years
At one point they REALLY hated Dantonio but that may have cooled

Thomas Wolsey

Likes Your Post
Reaction score

At one point they REALLY hated Dantonio but that may have cooled
I really hate Dantonio, so I hope not.

douglasbader

Reaction score
I love the new early signing period and would guess 99% of the coaches love it as well. The hype and build up and shenanigans that you used to get leading up to the February signing date wasn't good for anyone.

So many kids flipping, shitty back alley recruiting, look at me bullshit and a pain in the ass for coaches right after bowl season.

Now they get to take the month of January to maybe sign another couple of players or concentrate on other things.
It also seems like there's a lot less recruiting going on during the season August - November, at least for Iowa, which is probably nice for the coaches as well.
In the old system the August-November period was filled with a lot of official visits and many kids were uncommitted so there was a lot of flirting that went on. Then it got worse in December and right up until signing day. Teams could string kids along and kids could string programs along.

That has all disappeared. Even the blue blood schools are 90% full with commits by the time August comes around and official visits have turned into formalities. Looking at the top classes today, Clemson has 23 commits and all of them signed. Ohio State has 26 and 24 of them signed. Same thing on down the line.

Schools might have a couple of spots each at most unless you are a program with a new coach or a lame duck like USC, Arkansas, etc....

I think only 4 or 5 in the Top 50 are unsigned today.

douglasbader

Reaction score
I am laughing along with that tweet by Deuce, but the reality is better to not say anything at this point. This is exactly the reason that Ferentz bans twitter.

Was going to post this the other day, but I wonder how Deuce is going to turn out at Iowa. Maybe we won't notice anything once he is on campus and you don't hear much from him, but he does love to be very vocal and is really all in on the Tebow like stuff. If he doesn't turn out to be ultra talented and a lock to win the position, wonder how much that might wear thin with the rest of the team.

It might not matter if Petras is as good as some of the coaching staff thinks he is. Deuce wouldn't be looking at playing until he is a junior.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
My takeaway from some comments from deuce was that he knows iowa is stacked at QB and he doesn’t care. He knows he needs to put on weight and he can’t leave for three years anyways. I can’t remember the podcast but basically Smart told him that he wishes every big recruit had that mindset instead of instant gratification.

That said if Petras has half of the toughness of Nate or CJ we are set and going to another level. He’s got Ricky mobility and creativeness with a Stanley arm and the likability of CJ when it comes to the team.

Creed

Wears Adult-Sized Underoos
Reaction score
My takeaway from some comments from deuce was that he knows iowa is stacked at QB and he doesn’t care. He knows he needs to put on weight and he can’t leave for three years anyways. I can’t remember the podcast but basically Smart told him that he wishes every big recruit had that mindset instead of instant gratification.

That said if Petras has half of the toughness of Nate or CJ we are set and going to another level. He’s got Ricky mobility and creativeness with a Stanley arm and the likability of CJ when it comes to the team.
I can fap to that.

CurdMan

TurdMan DDS
Reaction score

The best part of the Georgia/Kirby Smart story was that they were trying to get Deuce to flip to them and one of their selling points was “we let freshmen compete for the starting QB job.” Deuce told them that he thinks redshirting is important and that he will really benefit from redshirting at Iowa

Jimmie Dimmick

Dog Crap Litterer
Reaction score
I am laughing along with that tweet by Deuce, but the reality is better to not say anything at this point. This is exactly the reason that Ferentz bans twitter.

Was going to post this the other day, but I wonder how Deuce is going to turn out at Iowa. Maybe we won't notice anything once he is on campus and you don't hear much from him, but he does love to be very vocal and is really all in on the Tebow like stuff. If he doesn't turn out to be ultra talented and a lock to win the position, wonder how much that might wear thin with the rest of the team.

It might not matter if Petras is as good as some of the coaching staff thinks he is. Deuce wouldn't be looking at playing until he is a junior.
for someone that doesn’t follow him, what does this mean:

but he does love to be very vocal and is really all in on the Tebow like stuff.

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score

He’s really into his faith.

douglasbader

Reaction score

Yeah, this is what I meant. Very vocal about it which is great, but he is going to step into a world of teammates that won't be nearly as much as he is.

My guess is he will adjust and go with the flow of the team as many others have. If not, usually doesn't work out well most of the time.

Jimmie Dimmick

Dog Crap Litterer
Reaction score

Super. I hope he’s really into touchdowns, and beating Wisconsin.

douglasbader

Reaction score
I remember when Dwight Howard went straight from high school to the NBA and all he and the people around him talked about was how he was going to be really vocal about his faith and would live it and convert his teammates.

Roughly 2 years later he was impregnating every woman he came into contact with and then eventually it seems started being a bottom for random guys.

Yikes.

douglasbader

Reaction score
Also, I have told this on here before but lived in Quad a room away from a couple well known late 90's football/track athletes and then ended up being good friends with them and living with them and another track athlete in an apartment the following year.

Both are the sons of pastors and came in very vocal about their faith and would have bible study in the dorm instead of going out as freshmen. They would get upset when people would drink and didn't understand it. Then roughly by August of the following year when we moved into the apartment they were out getting hammered downtown and at house parties and could hear them pounding their girlfriends through the wall.

Things change.

Jimmie Dimmick

Dog Crap Litterer
Reaction score
Also, I have told this on here before but lived in Quad a room away from a couple well known late 90's football/track athletes and then ended up being good friends with them and living with them and another track athlete in an apartment the following year.

Both are the sons of pastors and came in very vocal about their faith and would have bible study in the dorm instead of going out as freshmen. They would get upset when people would drink and didn't understand it. Then roughly by August of the following year when we moved into the apartment they were out getting hammered downtown and at house parties and could hear them pounding their girlfriends through the wall.

Things change.
My wife likes to talk about how my daughter’s friend is such a good person and the pastor’s daughter. I keep saying “have you ever watched a movie or heard a fuckin song?”

Wanderer

Stupid Fuck
Reaction score

Things change.
580CC90C-271E-411F-B434-70054F401794.gif

douglasbader

Reaction score

Things change.
My wife likes to talk about how my daughter’s friend is such a good person and the pastor’s daughter. I keep saying “have you ever watched a movie or heard a fuckin song?”
I forgot to add that one of them came into Iowa with a girlfriend he had been dating since middle school. She was a sweet girl and perfectly fine looking for a small western Iowa hick dump of a town. He broke up with her after freshman year because he discovered Iowa City girls with perfect bodies and huge tits liked good looking athletes that were hung like a horse (and he was a white guy!) and would be nice to them.

Anyways, by his senior year he was back with the hometown girlfriend and they are married and he has 2 or 3 kids with her.

The ironic thing is that the super ripped hulking black guy athlete was super private and protective of himself. He would only shower in the locker room in private (not that I blame him and is actually more normal than the alternative). The skinny white guy would walk naked in the locker room everywhere. One of the older linemen picked him up naked in the locker room one day, held him up and yelled out to everyone "Holy shit, look at the pecker on this freshman!" The lineman was the guy who transferred to Washington Huskies and ended up on American Idol. Can't remember his name.

Jimmie Dimmick

Dog Crap Litterer
Reaction score

Things change.
I forgot to add that one of them came into Iowa with a girlfriend he had been dating since middle school. She was a sweet girl and perfectly fine looking for a small western Iowa hick dump of a town. He broke up with her after freshman year because he discovered Iowa City girls with perfect bodies and huge tits liked good looking athletes that were hung like a horse (and he was a white guy!) and would be nice to them.

Anyways, by his senior year he was back with the hometown girlfriend and they are married and he has 2 or 3 kids with her.

The ironic thing is that the super ripped hulking black guy athlete was super private and protective of himself. He would only shower in the locker room in private (not that I blame him and is actually more normal than the alternative). The skinny white guy would walk naked in the locker room everywhere. One of the older linemen picked him up naked in the locker room one day, held him up and yelled out to everyone "Holy shit, look at the pecker on this freshman!" The lineman was the guy who transferred to Washington Huskies and ended up on American Idol. Can't remember his name.
Matt Rogers

not shitting you

douglasbader

Reaction score

Matt Rogers

not shitting you
Ha, yep. I should have remembered on the name alone.