**2021-2022 Iowa Basketball Season Thread**

Thomas Wolsey

Likes Your Post
Reaction score
Location is only a problem in that there aren’t enough bars or restaurants there. If I worked for the university I would explore a Bartaville for that area.

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
I was wrong before. The arena is outdated having a cavernous 15k seats isn't ideal. The other reality is people are fat fucks and aging compared to 1984 or whenever it opened. In 2021 asking people to make that walk up and down those stairs kills a lot of potential revenue.

Doesn't really matter though, they sunk way too much into the practice facility, weight room, offices and other upgrades. It isn't going anywhere for a long time. Unless you come in and completely gut the arena and rebuild over the course of a couple years, nothing is going to change.

Jim

Enjoys Birding
Reaction score
How many of the students who attend the games are actually living in the dorms? Most of the students are living off campus and dealing with the same PIA parking/traffic the rest of us are dealing with getting in and out of Carver.

Reaction score
How many of the students who attend the games are actually living in the dorms? Most of the students are living off campus and dealing with the same PIA parking/traffic the rest of us are dealing with getting in and out of Carver.
Good point. Any idea what Uber would cost from apartment-ville on S. Van Buren to CHA? Just for example? Just wondering if it's cheaper/easier than parking.

Reaction score
Everything is on TV
8/9 pm start times
Shitty opponents

Usually at least two of the three
Honest question because I don't watch a ton of college ball outside of Iowa games....do you know if other crowds with a reputation for being "good" like MSU, Purdue, etc. are there rocking it every game, or just for the big ones we see on TV?

Reaction score
Then, in your opinion, why don't they go?

Not trying to be argumentative....just discussing and looking for opinions.
I don't think you are wrong big picture, but outside of putting together a team capable of winning the conference, all the athletic department can do is nibble around the margins. Move the student section, let them in free, extra busses and so forth.

Jim

Enjoys Birding
Reaction score
Good point. Any idea what Uber would cost from apartment-ville on S. Van Buren to CHA? Just for example? Just wondering if it's cheaper/easier than parking.
Around $10, but not if a couple hundred other students are trying to do the same thing.

Students pick their location based on 1) downtown 2) campus. Neither one are “close” to Carver. The location sucks to make a night out of it. If there were bars around the arena- fine. If the arena was near the bars- fine. Location sucks.

Reaction score
Around $10, but not if a couple hundred other students are trying to do the same thing.

Students pick their location based on 1) downtown 2) campus. Neither one are “close” to Carver. The location sucks to make a night out of it. If there were bars around the arena- fine. If the arena was near the bars- fine. Location sucks.
I lived on the Westside for years and it was a pain in the ass to drive to and from games. That ignores wanting to sit in the cold and wait for a bus forever or walk.

SuperHans

goes by the name "Ashton"
Reaction score
I didn't go in college because the criminal was coaching.

Maybe kids now don't go because they just didn't grow up loving Iowa basketball? If you were born in 2001, Iowa made the NCAA tournament when you were 3 and 4 and then not again until you were 12 or 13.

rodg12

Might not need to GFH
Reaction score
I didn't go in college because the criminal was coaching.

Maybe kids now don't go because they just didn't grow up loving Iowa basketball? If you were born in 2021, Iowa made the NCAA tournament when you were 3 and 4 and then not again until you were 12 or 13.
SuperHanstrodamus, eh?

SuperHans

goes by the name "Ashton"
Reaction score
I lived on the Westside for years and it was a pain in the ass to drive to and from games. That ignores wanting to sit in the cold and wait for a bus forever or walk.
Carver is positioned at like the tip of a funnel of traffic. The roads to get there from campus and then trying to go back to campus suck. The closest free parking lot is also Hancher, which means taking a bus to the arena any way.

Last edited:

Reaction score
I guess you never camped out for tickets in the HawksNest
Goddamn fucking hawks nest cost me awesome seats. I was due to be in the first 10 rows the first year the Hawks Nest was implemented so I didn't sign up. Got pushed back to the 30th row behind all those dipshit buttfucking losers

wondergrape

Has Bad Hair
Reaction score
If they could walk to games, students would go to games. If they have to take a bus, get an uber or walk for 45 minutes in the freezing cold, they will drink Busch Light and watch Squid Game.

Reaction score
Goddamn fucking hawks nest cost me awesome seats. I was due to be in the first 10 rows the first year the Hawks Nest was implemented so I didn't sign up. Got pushed back to the 30th row behind all those dipshit buttfucking losers
For compensation, I can gift you my Steve Alford signed Iowa basketball from the first year of the Hawks Nest. Where else would you also get autographs from the likes of Greg Lansing, Rich Walker, and Sam Alford?

Jim

Enjoys Birding
Reaction score
For compensation, I can gift you my Steve Alford signed Iowa basketball from the first year of the Hawks Nest. Where else would you also get autographs from the likes of Greg Lansing, Rich Walker, and Sam Alford?
I also have a steve Alford autographed basketball. He signed it “god blessings”.

L. Wade Childress

The Spencer Petras of HALO
Reaction score
Hilton is NOT better. Their fans are convinced it’s better, which is all you need. The concourses are narrow, the seats suck. They don’t sell beer.

Mackey is no better, except the mid-concourse is much more convenient for everything other than the cool view from the top. It is still a dated shithole with cramped concourses.

The difference is that when I was in both arenas last week the student sections were completely packed to the top an hour early. Unless you are a tremendous fatass, Slater/Rienow/Petersen are a 10-12 min walk. Theres zero reason for lack of student interest other than that Ames and WL suck and Iowa City is awesome with more stuff to do.

ISU fans are irrationally cup half full. Iowa fans are irrationally cup half empty.

Thomas Wolsey

Likes Your Post
Reaction score
Hilton is NOT better. Their fans are convinced it’s better, which is all you need. The concourses are narrow, the seats suck. They don’t sell beer.

Mackey is no better, except the mid-concourse is much more convenient for everything other than the cool view from the top. It is still a dated shithole with cramped concourses.

The difference is that when I was in both arenas last week the student sections were completely packed to the top an hour early. Unless you are a tremendous fatass, Slater/Rienow/Petersen are a 10-12 min walk. Theres zero reason for lack of student interest other than that Ames and WL suck and Iowa City is awesome with more stuff to do.

ISU fans are irrationally cup half full. Iowa fans are irrationally cup half empty.
The biggest problem is attending a game isn’t really a part of a night out. When I was a student people would either go to a bar and watch the game there.

Reaction score
I lived on S Van Buren by the homeless camp next to the tracks and it was a chore and a half to get to a game. Sit in my apartment, drink & play video games on a -6 degree night in February with an 8:00 start? Yeah I’ll take that option.

Next we are going to start taking about improving bike lanes or some shit. Drop the arena at OC mall and you might have something.

Reaction score
That's not even close enough to put out these flames of fury

brantshawks

Nebrantska Fan
Reaction score
I have all of those and also a ball signed "Adam Haluska ISU SUX!!!"