**2021-2022 Iowa Basketball Season Thread**

AZmessDAWG

Loved and Defended The Criminal Until the Bitter End
Reaction score
While I’m receiving well deserved ridicule, I was on Ticketmaster and vivid but didn’t know of any particular website being “best.” A lot of the seats seemed shitty and if I’m going to get shitty seats, I might as well buy through the ticket office. Was just wondering if there was a different/better path.
Buy whatever seats and then move to an open spot close once you get there. There’s gonna be 6,000 people there.

Reaction score
Kris shoild be starting over patrick. I do not see one thing that patrick does better than kris. I hope the logic is that patrick cant play the 5 on the 2nd team and so we need kris to anchor the 2nd team. I woild be ok with that but in games, kris shoyld get more minutes than patrick. He is better in every facet, except maybe (?) passing. 3 pt shooting, rebounding, blocks, kris is blowing pm away. Look at the stats. Then look at minutes per game. Kind of gross.

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
Kris shoild be starting over patrick. I do not see one thing that patrick does better than kris. I hope the logic is that patrick cant play the 5 on the 2nd team and so we need kris to anchor the 2nd team. I woild be ok with that but in games, kris shoyld get more minutes than patrick. He is better in every facet, except maybe (?) passing. 3 pt shooting, rebounding, blocks, kris is blowing pm away. Look at the stats. Then look at minutes per game. Kind of gross.
Lol. Calm down, Jim. There are plenty of minutes for both and the "stats" don't mean shit yet.

Squat Cobbler

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Patrick is better than Kris
I have my doubts it's going to play out that way. Patrick is a power forward who shoots under 45% from the field, averages less than 3 rebounds, and zero blocks. Between this year and last year he's shooting about 25% from 3. Anything under 33% is inefficient, and they shouldn't be shooting it. He also averages 1.3 turnovers a game (second worst on team) at a very low usage rate. This is against bad competition. These numbers are in alignment with last year so there is some history here. Kris is tripling Patrick's rebound rate and keeping defenders honest by making half his threes. He's also a threat to block a shot or steal the ball.

Fritz Fequiere

Has a Master's from ISU worth millions
Reaction score
I think Patrick kind of sucks. Can't rebound, shoot, or stay in front of an athletic wing. Good in transition.

Connor > Patrick in my book, although my player evals may be skewed in favor of being strong with the ball. I just recoil in horror when players don't have the strength to secure a rebound or go up in traffic. He would've been great if not for the cancer.

Hawk&Balls

NOT a member
Reaction score
I think Patrick kind of sucks. Can't rebound, shoot, or stay in front of an athletic wing. Good in transition.

Connor > Patrick in my book, although my player evals may be skewed in favor of being strong with the ball. I just recoil in horror when players don't have the strength to secure a rebound or go up in traffic. He would've been great if not for the cancer.
your book sucks

HerkyHopeful

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
The growth and development of the Murrays in college is leaps and bounds better than the McCaffreys development, but still a lot of growth potential for Patrick in the next 2+ years. He's probably never going to be a great defender or rebounder but hopefully his feminine shot and drives to basket will improve with experience and continued strength growth. If not, he'll be a good role player and fun to watch.

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score
Patrick is a guy whose game needs to be going to the basket with the ball in transition or cutting. You can see that it's there, but he's not strong enough, due in large part to the cancer issues. Maybe he'll get there with more time, but maybe he's just permanently limited.

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score
When he signed, a lot of people (myself included) thought Patrick could be a more skilled Aaron White. White didn't really take off scoring till his junior year, but he was still a better rebounder as a sophomore than Patrick is.

Patrick is also a sophomore that's the age of some college seniors, but again he's been physically held back. So who knows.

CleteyColgate

is a fucking idiot.
Reaction score
Ogundele should start over Rebraca. This is a fun game

KitKatApples

NW Season Ticket Holder (except IA games)
Reaction score
You put Rebraca on the bench and then you start Ogundele

Reaction score
I started watching Iowa basketball religiously in the mid-80s. I’m going to go on record as saying that Keegan Murray is the most talented Iowa player of the period covering 1984 to now.

Not the best player (yet, anyway) because that title still belongs to Garza. But I think Keegan is the most gifted basketball player of the past 35+ years. There has never been a Hawkeye in my lifetime who could dominate a game in so many different ways.

I know he hasn’t really dominated yet against top competition, but I’m confident he will. All the tools are there. I think calling him an NBA first rounder is underselling his abilities.

I want to make it clear that I don’t think Keegan is getting by on talent alone, because he has obviously worked hard to hone his craft.

Alan Lomax

has listened to a podcast about this thread.
Reaction score
I started watching Iowa basketball religiously in the mid-80s. I’m going to go on record as saying that Keegan Murray is the most talented Iowa player of the period covering 1984 to now.

Not the best player (yet, anyway) because that title still belongs to Garza. But I think Keegan is the most gifted basketball player of the past 35+ years. There has never been a Hawkeye in my lifetime who could dominate a game in so many different ways.

I know he hasn’t really dominated yet against top competition, but I’m confident he will. All the tools are there. I think calling him an NBA first rounder is underselling his abilities.

I want to make it clear that I don’t think Keegan is getting by on talent alone, because he has obviously worked hard to hone his craft.
He’s the best player I have actual memory watching. Garza was, and is, great, Murray’s athletic ability is a different thing.

Reaction score
I would put Ray Thompson up there as well as one of the best all around players. Unfortunately we only saw the tip of the iceberg with him.
Yup. The players who came to mind for me as the most talented were Murray, Garza, Roy Marble and Thompson.

Creed

Wears Adult-Sized Underoos
Reaction score
For as great as Garza was, his effort and work ethic is what took him from very good to excellent. Keegan has enough athletic ability that everything looks to just be easy for him (so far). I’m excited to watch him keep developing. It couldn’t have hurt for him to watch how hard Garza worked last year. Glad they got to play together.

HawkLax6

Thinks the 2 Deeps Matter
Reaction score
First got jobbed by Jess Settles on his Mt. Rushmore of Iowa shooters and now chane.

No love for Seth Gorney.

Stomper15

Not A TOR Poster
Reaction score
For as great as Garza was, his effort and work ethic is what took him from very good to excellent. Keegan has enough athletic ability that everything looks to just be easy for him (so far). I’m excited to watch him keep developing. It couldn’t have hurt for him to watch how hard Garza worked last year. Glad they got to play together.
When things look that easy for him, it's because of all the hard work. Keegan is about the last person I would say who's had to rely on his athletic abilities to get where he is today (or currently does). There are a lot of guys who have his athletic ability who can't do half the things he can on the court. Nothing has come easy for him -- Keegan took a post-graduate year in FL, had no legit D1 offers, dealt with the adversity of a vocal group of the Iowa fans grumbling about his offer, and by all accounts has worked his ass off since he stepped foot on campus. Hard work has been in his DNA since day one and that's part of the Fran recruiting profile. Year after year we hear stories about kids on the Iowa basketball team who are gym rats and working on their game at all hours. Yes, Keegan has great measurables, but that's only part of the story with regards to his evolution.

Last edited:

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
When things look that easy for him, it's because of all the hard work. Keegan is about the last person I would say who's had to rely on his athletic abilities to get where he is today (or currently does). There are a lot of guys who have his athletic ability who can't do half the things he can on the court. Nothing has come easy for him -- Keegan took a post-graduate year in FL, had no legit D1 offers, dealt with the adversity of a vocal group of the Iowa fans grumbling about his offer, and by all accounts has worked his ass off since he stepped foot on campus. Hard work has been in his DNA since day one and that's part of the Fran recruiting profile. Year after year we hear stories about kids on the Iowa basketball team who are gym rats and working on their game at all hours to outperform their Yes, Keegan has great measurables, but that's only part of the story with regards to his evolution.
now imagine he’s black.

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
Keegan's most impressive thing isn't his athleticism, although that is great, it is that he is the smartest basketball player we have had possibly so far. He's way more intelligent than Garza and Wieskamp and White combined on a basketball level.