**2021-2022 Iowa Basketball Season Thread**

Greg Obrecht

Reaction score
The idea that Democrats - or any party that values civil rights - can or should try to compete with Republicans on the rural/exurban white victim narrative, which is basically what coff is saying, is both backward-looking and utterly futile. America’s future is not, and it cannot long survive as, a minority run democratic republic. Attempting to compete as if that is our permanent or long term paradigm is a fool’s errand.
ESAD

wondergrape

Has Bad Hair
Reaction score
Eat shit, Gus.
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that you are misunderstanding what Gustang is saying here. When he uses the phrase "minority", I think he is referring to the fact that white people are no longer a plurality in this country, but he mistakenly refers to this bloc as a "minority". Then he takes the "minority" phrase and extends it to state that politics must be inclusive and not pandering to rural white voters (his declared "minority") if the republic is to survive.

At least I hope that's what he's saying.

Verbal

The Brave Little Poster
Reaction score
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that you are misunderstanding what Gustang is saying here. When he uses the phrase "minority", I think he is referring to the fact that white people are no longer a plurality in this country, but he mistakenly refers to this bloc as a "minority". Then he takes the "minority" phrase and extends it to state that politics must be inclusive and not pandering to rural white voters (his declared "minority") if the republic is to survive.

At least I hope that's what he's saying.

BluesHawk

Goes to Applebee’s for special occasions
Reaction score
How do you even post something in the wrong thread?

Jim

Enjoys Birding
Reaction score
No, I have not been getting milked, but thanks for asking.

Rolo Tomassi

Listless Vessel
Reaction score
We've got four very winnable non-conference games coming up, followed by six winnable conference games. At the very least, I see Iowa winning 8 of its next ten games, and we could even win all of them. It's going to be an interesting stretch.
Fucking moron.

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
I hope he proves me wrong but Rebracca can’t be the answer at the post the next 2 years. Fran has to get in the portal and find someone. Of course Josh and Mulvey could develop but they both still have a long way to go.

There’s just too many good players available to leave that big of a void on your roster. Especially after what Garza did at that spot.

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
I used to think that Carver-Hawkeye was great and argued that on here before, but after going to multiple arenas around the country including Mackey and seeing the new Texas arena, it is clear that Carver is shitty in almost every single way.

It's cavernous, the setbacks are way too far, it's a pain in the ass for many to walk up and down, the concession layout is terrible, and on and on and on.

Still advocate for building a 11k seat arena that would be far better for the next 30-40 years than putting another dime into the existing setup.

The Incredible Hawk

Will Spineboard You
Reaction score
I used to think that Carver-Hawkeye was great and argued that on here before, but after going to multiple arenas around the country including Mackey and seeing the new Texas arena, it is clear that Carver is shitty in almost every single way.

It's cavernous, the setbacks are way too far, it's a pain in the ass for many to walk up and down, the concession layout is terrible, and on and on and on.

Still advocate for building a 11k seat arena that would be far better for the next 30-40 years than putting another dime into the existing setup.
I agree on most of this, but the concourse at Mackey was a congested mess because of the way it’s set up. You don’t have that issue at Carver.

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score

The layout at Carver sucks. Even when there's a good crowd it looks sparse because everything is so wide open and spread back.

Jim

Enjoys Birding
Reaction score
You can drive a semi between the seats on the non-student section end and the court. That’s not great. Carver can get loud. It just takes a good wrestling match to do so.

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
I used to love Carver but it really is awful in 2021. The University can/should do something about it not too far down the road.

Stu Beagle

Has Tiny Onions
Reaction score
They have the money to do whatever they want. I imagine a game at the new IRL arena would blow away Carver

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
The layout at Carver sucks. Even when there's a good crowd it looks sparse because everything is so wide open and spread back.
i had some ISU fans attend the Illinois game and they were shocked how good of an environment it was. His boy and his 6th grade team who had never been there walked in and said it was crazy to look down into the bowl. They mentioned that it doesn’t look like anything special from the outside but you get in and it’s intimidating and loud.

Hawk&Balls

NOT a member
Reaction score
eh, Carver is fine. I would imagine the university isn't begging to spend 2-300 million on a new arena when they get stuck with shitty tv times for a crappy schedule.

Hawk24

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
CHA certainly has its design flaws, but I think most of the atmosphere issues come from the people in the seats - or lack thereof. For whatever reason, the student population in the last 30 years has never really embraced Hawkeye basketball fandom the way they have football. Cheap or free tickets and better seats would be a great start, but I think it's going to take multiple seasons with high-level success to really turn it around. Every time we have this conversation, people like to point out how inconvenient it is for students to get to CHA. I reply that there are multiple free Cambus routes from both the east and west dorms that drop them off at the front door. But they never seem to like that idea, so in my opinion they are looking for excuses and reasons NOT to go. They simply don't care enough to make even the most minimal effort, and I'm not sure how to change that. Iowa basketball has to become THE thing to do for the student population like football is. That's not something that's fixed easily, IMHO.

And that's not even to mention all of the non-students who silently sit on their fat arses and leave with 5 minutes to play regardless of score.

Bottom line....it's a cultural issue, not a structural one.

Stu Beagle

Has Tiny Onions
Reaction score
They should build skywalks that connect to Carver like Kinnick and the hospital have

Kamala

Isn't Sure About Gasser
Reaction score
CHA certainly has its design flaws, but I think most of the atmosphere issues come from the people in the seats - or lack thereof. For whatever reason, the student population in the last 30 years has never really embraced Hawkeye basketball fandom the way they have football. Cheap or free tickets and better seats would be a great start, but I think it's going to take multiple seasons with high-level success to really turn it around. Every time we have this conversation, people like to point out how inconvenient it is for students to get to CHA. I reply that there are multiple free Cambus routes from both the east and west dorms that drop them off at the front door. But they never seem to like that idea, so in my opinion they are looking for excuses and reasons NOT to go. They simply don't care enough to make even the most minimal effort, and I'm not sure how to change that. Iowa basketball has to become THE thing to do for the student population like football is. That's not something that's fixed easily, IMHO.

And that's not even to mention all of the non-students who silently sit on their fat arses and leave with 5 minutes to play regardless of score.

Bottom line....it's a cultural issue, not a structural one.
I guess you never camped out for tickets in the HawksNest

SuperHans

goes by the name "Ashton"
Reaction score
I do think the distance from CHA to the dorms is an issue. That's a long bus ride from Burge and the other east side dorms.

Other factors are the number of people from Illinois who don't care about Iowa basketball, and the lack of sustained success.

Hawk24

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
I do think the distance from CHA to the dorms is an issue. That's a long bus ride from Burge and the other east side dorms.

Other factors are the number of people from Illinois who don't care about Iowa basketball, and the lack of sustained success.
It's less that 10 minutes without traffic.

wondergrape

Has Bad Hair
Reaction score
I think those who have lobbied for a 12-13k arena close to downtown are onto something. I'm not sure I agree that the kids don't like Iowa basketball because of cultural shift. I think Carver is just too far away and not student friendly at all. You drop Chrysler Arena downtown and they will come in droves.

Stu Beagle

Has Tiny Onions
Reaction score

The reality too is not nearly as many people care about regular season college basketball as they did 20-30 years ago.

SuperHans

goes by the name "Ashton"
Reaction score
Also, if CHA was located in Ames, there would be a thread about how ELITE it is. May be the best arena in the country.
FWIW Hilton is better and their turnout is better. I don't like them, but it is the case.

Reaction score
Cambus works fine for games against East Tennessee State and Maryland-Eastern Shore, but if more than 3 busloads of students are attending you get to stand outside for an hour after the game at 10pm in February. I don't know what the solution is but students will never show up in numbers to deal with that.

Hawk24

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Nobody wants to ride a fucking bus.
There it is....like I said in my original post....excuses NOT to go. If people really wanted to go, they would. They'd just rather not bother.

Hawk24

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Cambus works fine for games against East Tennessee State and Maryland-Eastern Shore, but if more than 3 busloads of students are attending you get to stand outside for an hour after the game at 10pm in February. I don't know what the solution is but students will never show up in numbers to deal with that.
This is a good point. So maybe the UI should dedicate some more resources/busses to make it a little more convenient and shorten the wait time. But I would guess that would still impact student attendance very minimally.

Last edited:

Hawkstrat

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
There it is....like I said in my original post....excuses NOT to go. If people really wanted to go, they would. They'd just rather not bother.
Nobody is arguing that it is impossible to go to a game.

Hawk24

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Nobody is arguing that it is impossible to go to a game.
Then, in your opinion, why don't they go?

Not trying to be argumentative....just discussing and looking for opinions.