2021 Football Recruiting

hawkeyealum

Subscribes to Playboy for the articles
Reaction score
no Iowa told the in the state legacy 4 star at a position of need to get lost
Well Sean Foster was a legacy four star (LOL) that they showed no interest in so it’s not unheard off but granted it would be strange

The Full Monte

Does Weirdo Fat Guy Shit
Reaction score
The kick in the balls of it is Iowa’s need for DE in these next couple classes

Hawkeye_Pierce

May Have Fondled a Tranny
Reaction score
I don't know what the phenomenon is, but immediate local highly rated players always seem to be the hardest ones for Iowa to get.

Christian French, Oliver Martin, Amara Darboh, Rocky Lombardi, Ross Piersbacher and now TJ Bollers. I'm sure I am forgetting others.

The reasoning is much easier to explain in basketball with top talent passing up Iowa, but doesn't make a lot of sense in football.
I don't think there's much of a phenomenon.

I mean, it makes way more sense than losing a 3 star guy if the staff is showing genuine interest in them. Bigger recruits get way more attention. Ross is an especially good example. He grew up a hawk fan but he had the defending national champion coach sitting in his living room asking him to come play for them instead of a 4-8 Iowa squad. WRs make sense to me, especially when GDGD was here, and QB is a one spot position so current roster can have a huge effect.

Don't remember the Bollers kid or where he played, but he can GFH
Yeah, doesn't surprise me. Sometimes kids just want to get away and expand their horizons a bit. From a development standpoint, it's tough to beat Iowa, but it's not like they're going to miss out on a chance to play at the next level if they choose Oregon, MI, Bama, etc.

sergeanthulka

Is Frequently Requested at Local Karaoke Nights
Reaction score
It's also completely possible that they want him to become a national recruit, but fully intend on committing to Iowa, eventually.

That's still where my money is.

Jimmie Dimmick

Dog Crap Litterer
Reaction score
It's also completely possible that they want him to become a national recruit, but fully intend on committing to Iowa, eventually.

That's still where my money is.
I’m in the same boat. Let’s not freak out. In the same interview he mentions Iowa more than in just passing

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
I know if I were a 4* or 5* level national recruit, that is actually what I would be more than happy to do if I was a hardcore Iowa fan.

Let teams like Nebrantska, Iowa State and Wisconsin think they had a real shot and then make a big commitment saying that I never was considering anyone but Iowa.

cloudhawk

Special
Reaction score
I'd go visit Stanford, USC, Hawaii, Florida bang a few Jersey chasers then come to Iowa.

I'd tell Nebrantska and Iowa State to lick my taint

But that's just me

Wanderer

Stupid Fuck
Reaction score
I'd go visit Stanford, USC, Hawaii, Florida bang a few Jersey chasers then come to Iowa.

I'd tell Nebrantska and Iowa State to lick my taint

But that's just me
If Nebrantska and Iowa State were the names of hookers in Colombia, this would read like one of @BBK’s weekend adventure posts.

hawkeyealum

Subscribes to Playboy for the articles
Reaction score
I’d visit ASU for sure. Them girls are nice

Reaction score
FWIW, was told today the story of his top 3 isn’t real and he’d be shocked if Bollers didn’t go to Iowa.

Reaction score
I don't know what the phenomenon is, but immediate local highly rated players always seem to be the hardest ones for Iowa to get.

Christian French, Oliver Martin, Amara Darboh, Rocky Lombardi, Ross Piersbacher and now TJ Bollers. I'm sure I am forgetting others.

The reasoning is much easier to explain in basketball with top talent passing up Iowa, but doesn't make a lot of sense in football.
Adrian Arrington. Who didn't seem to be remotely interested in an Iowa program coming off 3 consecutive Top 10 finishes.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score

Adrian Arrington. Who didn't seem to be remotely interested in an Iowa program coming off 3 consecutive Top 10 finishes.
$$

SteadyEddy

HaLo Walk-on
Reaction score
Arrington's CR Washington team had to have been one of the most talented Iowa high school teams ever. I believe they had 5 D1 players.

SteadyEddy

HaLo Walk-on
Reaction score
Arrington's CR Washington team had to have been one of the most talented Iowa high school teams ever. I believe they had 5 D1 players.
who other than Arrington?
Maurice Cantrell- LB Colorado
Warren Suess - QB Ball State
Adrian Arrington - WR Michigan
Rob Bruggeman - OL Iowa
Gavin McGrath - LB Iowa

A running back that played at Drake that I can't remember the name of. That maybe doesn't count but technically 6.

eclone

Former VEISHEA Exec Committee Member
Reaction score
Meh. My 2A team had 5 D1 players (and a D1 wrestler) with a class size of less than 100. And I’m sure there are others that can match or best that CRWash team.

sergeanthulka

Is Frequently Requested at Local Karaoke Nights
Reaction score
Meh. My 2A team had 5 D1 players (and a D1 wrestler) with a class size of less than 100. And I’m sure there are others that can match or best that CRWash team.
Im actually interested to know these names...

mac50702

SuperUrkel
Reaction score
Rob Bruggeman - OL Iowa
Gavin McGrath - LB Iowa

A running back that played at Drake that I can't remember the name of. That maybe doesn't count but technically 6.
Was that the Travis roan? I remember him butt fucking my high school team for over 400 yards

nolookpass

Feels the Bern
Reaction score

SteadyEddy

HaLo Walk-on
Reaction score
Rob Bruggeman - OL Iowa
Gavin McGrath - LB Iowa

Was that the Travis roan? I remember him butt fucking my high school team for over 400 yards
I think Rhone was the guy following the guy I'm thinking of. Rhone went to Wayne State. The guy in 03 was a half asian dude who lead the MVC in rushing that year. Was also a very good track guy.

Either way, Wash was stacked for several years and somehow didn't win a state championship. If you got 5 D1 players in Iowa you're head and shoulders above the competition.

eclone

Reaction score
Most people here know them because a bunch of us seem about the same age, but I'm not really interested in typing them out.
How about this:
Iowa - All-American, 2nd round draft pick
Iowa - All-Big 10, NFL practice squad
Northern Illinois
Drake
USD (although now that I think about not, not sure if they were D1AA at the time)

Iowa - wrestling

43-6 win in the championship game, including a TD by the sophomore squad.

Mo T

Carnie Profiler
Reaction score
You typed more than if you would have just typed their name.

eclone

Reaction score
Which must mean it was the content not the quantity that I was referring to.

Herky823

5 Shirt Larry
Reaction score
Right, but it'd be super easy for anyone to find a championship game at a 2A school with that score.

Don't get me wrong, I get being wary of people on here, but it'd be like if you didn't want to say it was Mo that told you something but you were willing to say the person was from Missouri, they work in the public sector and their name rhymes with "No Pooper."

Orestes

Invisible
Reaction score
Not sure if his attitude & effort is indicative of what he'll end up on the football field...but color me unimpressed with how he conducted himself on the basketball court.

And don't even get me started with how his dad comes off on the HawkeyeHarvest postgame show on WMT. The whole lot of them are embarrassing & I gave up listening to them a few years back.
I agree. The way Trevor has talked about Iowa on that show has always made me wonder if his kid would be headed to Iowa. He doesn't exactly come across like the former player legacy father at all. More bitter and angry with an ax to grind about something.

And that show is absolutely unlistenable. Win or lose.

eclone

Reaction score
Right, but it'd be super easy for anyone to find a championship game at a 2A school with that score.

Don't get me wrong, I get being wary of people on here, but it'd be like if you didn't want to say it was Mo that told you something but you were willing to say the person was from Missouri, they work in the public sector and their name rhymes with "No Pooper."
By saying anything at all, I'm not trying to hide the school. Just don't feel the need to use searchable terms. (see also: roller coasters, eagles names, valp golf guy, etc) Probably doesn't matter now that the place is "locked down" just felt uncomfortable typing names. :icon_confused:

Mo T

Carnie Profiler
Reaction score
If we are talking about entire team rosters (freshman-senior), I doubt it's rare to find teams with five or more D1 players.

To find a class of seniors where there were five D1 players, that probably doesn't happen but once every 10 years in Iowa???

Orestes

Invisible
Reaction score
Rob Bruggeman - OL Iowa
Gavin McGrath - LB Iowa

I think Rhone was the guy following the guy I'm thinking of. Rhone went to Wayne State. The guy in 03 was a half asian dude who lead the MVC in rushing that year. Was also a very good track guy.

Either way, Wash was stacked for several years and somehow didn't win a state championship. If you got 5 D1 players in Iowa you're head and shoulders above the competition.
Uhhh, are you thinking of this guy:

He's sorta a legend around here, you know.

I thought he might have been the back on that 03 team, but he must be a bit younger than that for him to have been at Iowa when he was.

SteadyEddy

HaLo Walk-on
Reaction score
Not the Paki Bomb, he came later. This is kind of annoying me but I can’t find rosters that go that far back online.

SteadyEddy

HaLo Walk-on
Reaction score
If we are talking about entire team rosters (freshman-senior), I doubt it's rare to find teams with five or more D1 players.

To find a class of seniors where there were five D1 players, that probably doesn't happen but once every 10 years in Iowa???
Right. If you’re talking freshmen through seniors that Wash team had at least 7 or 8 D1 guys. The 6 guys I listed were all starters as juniors and seniors.

I’d still say it would be somewhat rare in Iowa to have 5 D1 guys over a 4 year stretch at one particular school. EClones 4 guys at a 2a school is impressive but hardly the norm. Perennial winning programs at the 4a level may do it occasionally but I doubt it’s a constant thing. Now if you’re talking some schools in Texas and Florida? Yeah that’s to be expected.

eclone

Reaction score
Not the Paki Bomb, he came later. This is kind of annoying me but I can’t find rosters that go that far back online.
The stud RB at Drake? Scott Phaydavong, but I think he was from a DM public school.

SteadyEddy

HaLo Walk-on
Reaction score
The stud RB at Drake? Scott Phaydavong, but I think he was from a DM public school.
Figured it out. Name was Poul Collins and switched to DB at Drake. Halo can now rest easy that I finally remembered a early 2000's Iowa high school running back.

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
Rob Bruggeman - OL Iowa
Gavin McGrath - LB Iowa

They blew a 27-7 4th quarter lead against IC West in 2003 or 2004 I believe. West scored to make it 27-14, Wash threw a long pass that was caught but the guy got tackled from behind and fumbled, West scores to make it 27-21.

And finally West sent out their Iranian kicker that did nothing but practice onside kicks during practice and he hit the greatest onside kick in football history.

SteadyEddy

HaLo Walk-on
Reaction score
That was 2003. Wash played in the state championship against Valley in 04.

BuffettHawk

Useless
Reaction score

By saying anything at all, I'm not trying to hide the school. Just don't feel the need to use searchable terms. (see also: roller coasters, eagles names, valp golf guy, etc) Probably doesn't matter now that the place is "locked down" just felt uncomfortable typing names. :icon_confused:
My spreadsheet appreciates the extra information. Thanks.

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
STOP FUCKING TALKING ABOUT THIS SHIT.

Reaction score
Most people here know them because a bunch of us seem about the same age, but I'm not really interested in typing them out.
How about this:
Iowa - All-American, 2nd round draft pick
Iowa - All-Big 10, NFL practice squad
Northern Illinois
Drake
USD (although now that I think about not, not sure if they were D1AA at the time)

Iowa - wrestling

43-6 win in the championship game, including a TD by the sophomore squad.
I watched them roll the local football team, they were very dominate squad.

Fair and Balanced

Calls All Soda Coke
Reaction score
The conversation I heard sounds personal, yes, but not necessarily hostile

More of “we appreciate your time, but there isn’t a mutual interest.”

Gut reaction was that it’s Stanford or Nebrantska. I’d say 70/30
The best guess would be maybe dad and family hold onto some old grudge even though he went there and currently works doing a post game show.

He still is scheduling visits to Iowa, so who knows.
I mean, as fans we always look at things a certain way but the reality is he's a kid and he's allowed to simply just want to go somewhere else.
Fuck that. This is a personal insult!

Wanderer

Stupid Fuck
Reaction score
JFC, it’s like herding cats around here. 2021 Football Recruiting. It’s right there in the title.