2021 Football Recruiting

SteadyEddy

HaLo Walk-on
Reaction score
I have a feeling Klieman is going to be a thorn in Iowa’s side at times from a recruiting standpoint. He’ll try to get some good Iowa kids and he’s going to go after similar type players.

Bob

Reaction score
I have a feeling Klieman is going to be a thorn in Iowa’s side at times from a recruiting standpoint. He’ll try to get some good Iowa kids and he’s going to go after similar type players.
I think I said this is the ISU thread after KState beat the shit out of them but he's my dream Ferentz successor

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
I think he is going to be more of a problem to Iowa State than Iowa.

SteadyEddy

HaLo Walk-on
Reaction score
I think I said this is the ISU thread after KState beat the shit out of them but he's my dream Ferentz successor
Total CSB. I knew Klieman all the way back when he was the head coach at Loras. He ended up a coach of mine for a couple years at UNI. One of the most genuine nice guys you’ll meet. Very Ferentz-esque. Also, he hated him some Mark Farley.

HerkyHopeful

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Did he visit for a game? I didn't recall reading that he did. Usually it's a kiss of death if not

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
Total CSB. I knew Klieman all the way back when he was the head coach at Loras. He ended up a coach of mine for a couple years at UNI. One of the most genuine nice guys you’ll meet. Very Ferentz-esque. Also, he hated him some Mark Farley.
he really stuck it to Farley. In fact mark publicly said NDSU “bought the title” when they poached CK and he took a couple starters with him.

both klieman bro’s are really good dudes. Scott is super connected through Powers.

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
Kids Iowa offers from in state are not likely to pick K State over Iowa. Like Doug said, his a bigger thorn for ISU.

SteadyEddy

HaLo Walk-on
Reaction score
Kids Iowa offers from in state are not likely to pick K State over Iowa. Like Doug said, his a bigger thorn for ISU.
I wasn’t solely speaking to instate kids, but I agree he will be a bigger problem for ISU. I also agree with Bob that Klieman would be a great replacement for Kirk. Wouldn’t happen but he’s the same type high character guy and runs a system that emphasizes all the things we pride in Iowa football. Works for the type of talent the state develops as well.

Hawk&Balls

NOT a member
Reaction score
I wasn’t solely speaking to instate kids, but I agree he will be a bigger problem for ISU. I also agree with Bob that Klieman would be a great replacement for Kirk. Wouldn’t happen but he’s the same type high character guy and runs a system that emphasizes all the things we pride in Iowa football. Works for the type of talent the state develops as well.
Like beating Iowa State

douglasbader

Reaction score
Kirk mentioned it again the other day, but the one request that Hayden had was that the head coach stay within the family. No chance that the next head coach isn't a coach on the current staff or former coach/player.

SteadyEddy

HaLo Walk-on
Reaction score
Kirk mentioned it again the other day, but the one request that Hayden had was that the head coach stay within the family. No chance that the next head coach isn't a coach on the current staff or former coach/player.
That’s pretty retarded.

douglasbader

Reaction score
That’s pretty retarded.
There are enough Iowa related players or coaches that it would be a high quality group to pick from.

Doesn't matter, I don't think Kirk is going anywhere for another 5 more years. 2024 will be his retirement year.

Reaction score
Hopefully, they'll get the next Breece Hall. Or two.

FrodoTBaggin

Balding and Demands Accuracy
Reaction score
That’s pretty retarded.
There are enough Iowa related players or coaches that it would be a high quality group to pick from.

Doesn't matter, I don't think Kirk is going anywhere for another 5 more years. 2024 will be his retirement year.
It's Brian. We'll be fine.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
I like Brian’s stuff but I actually think he would be better as a CEO than SVP. He’s a very confident person but he’s also aware of his weaknesses. That said, he would have to start giving at least a singular fuck about what people of him. Donors love him though.

douglasbader

Reaction score
I like Brian’s stuff but I actually think he would be better as a CEO than SVP. He’s a very confident person but he’s also aware of his weaknesses. That said, he would have to start giving at least a singular fuck about what people of him. Donors love him though.
How about this.... 5 more years of Kirk and he retires at 70.... Phil takes over at 61 and coaches 4 or 5 years..... Brian takes over at 45....

Reaction score
How about this.... 5 more years of Kirk and he retires at 70.... Phil takes over at 61 and coaches 4 or 5 years..... Brian takes over at 45....
I just love how people don't get it. Phil is never going to hold a coaching job that doesn't involve being the DB coach. He hates talking to the media too. He is a wealthy man sitting comfortably at the controls of a well-oiled machine.

douglasbader

Reaction score
I just love how people don't get it. Phil is never going to hold a coaching job that doesn't involve being the DB coach. He hates talking to the media too. He is a wealthy man sitting comfortably at the controls of a well-oiled machine.
I'm on record that Phil wants nothing to do with the head coaching job. My guess in 5 years it is Brian with Phil as the DC and making $1m+

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
Phil does truly hate the media stuff and other responsibilities that come with the job, while Brian enjoys it.

HerkyHopeful

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Do whatever it takes to keep Phil happy. Doesn't matter the role or pay. He's crucial to any transition plan from Kirk to Brian, if it were to happen.

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
Phil reminds me of Bud Foster at Virginia Tech. Just keep him happy and he'll by your DC until he's ready to hang it up.

Reaction score
Other than the fact that Phil actually said he would like an opportunity to be a head coach(Liestekow asked him last spring).

But Phil really loves Iowa City. I personally think it's Iowa or bust in that regard. He's not going to leave to take over some MAC rebuilding job. But I believe Iowa will let him take over for a transition phase once Kirk decides to leave.

Regarding Brian, both he and Kirk have publically stated that it would be most beneficial to take over at a smaller school first. And then come to Iowa. I think Kirk really valued the experience he got at Maine.

But I don't think that will happen. Instead they'll just let Phil coach for a few years and then let Brian take over.

Bob

Reaction score
That sounds nice but I don't think there are that many non-Iowa schools that would actually hire him as head coach given what his OC results have been and why risk losing the chance to be Iowa head coach by bombing somewhere else if you can probably get it without going anywhere?

Reaction score
That sounds nice but I don't think there are that many non-Iowa schools that would actually hire him as head coach given what his OC results have been and why risk losing the chance to be Iowa head coach by bombing somewhere else if you can probably get it without going anywhere?
For the most part I agree with you. I do think Brian could get a head coaching job at a smaller venue pretty easily. Kirk's pretty long.

That's why I think using Phil to transition Brian's era is the smart play. First, and most importantly IMO, it rewards Phil for everything he's done for the program. He's earned the opportunity. Iowa tends to reward loyalty.

Second, it will take some of the nepotism sting away. If you give the job to Brian over a guy who has been here from the beginning and stated he'd like an opportunity, it looks bad and kinda starts Brian's tenure off with unneeded controversy.

Give Phil 3 years and promote Wallace to DC. When he leaves, Brian takes over. Seems like the smoothest transition to me.

thrawn

Reaction score
I also don’t think it makes a lot of sense for Bowling Green or whatever to hire him. Yes G5 coaches expect to lose head coaches to P5 teams but there is usually at least a nice buyout.

From Iowa’s standpoint going to an existing coordinator is a very smooth transition and keeps mostly the same staff etc. If you’re going outside even for an Iowa guy you’re just adding a weird element. Is Brian going to take anyone to or from BG? What if someone like Jerry Montgomery gets an NFL/college DC job and seems interested?

hawkeyealum

Subscribes to Playboy for the articles
Reaction score
Plus it would be incredibly awkward when Phil comes in with late offers stealing Brian’s MAC commits.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
LOL Brian could have his pick of nearly any mid major job with his connections and resume.

Nearly every school hates their OC. We just take it to another level of stupid because of his last name.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
I also don’t think it makes a lot of sense for Bowling Green or whatever to hire him. Yes G5 coaches expect to lose head coaches to P5 teams but there is usually at least a nice buyout.

From Iowa’s standpoint going to an existing coordinator is a very smooth transition and keeps mostly the same staff etc. If you’re going outside even for an Iowa guy you’re just adding a weird element. Is Brian going to take anyone to or from BG? What if someone like Jerry Montgomery gets an NFL/college DC job and seems interested?
We have always had a strong culture but it has got even stronger the past 4-5 years. Brian has his weaknesses, but the program- aside from another big win each year- is pretty much exactly what I am looking for as a fan/alum. I am warming to the idea of Brian taking over given all the positivity which has really reached a national level.

Bob

Reaction score
LOL Brian could have his pick of nearly any mid major job with his connections and resume.

Nearly every school hates their OC. We just take it to another level of stupid because of his last name.
Or because his offense has been actually bad every year?

I have literally never seen him mentioned for a non-Iowa job by anyone who is not an Iowa fan or media member

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score

I have literally never seen him mentioned for a non-Iowa job by anyone who is not an Iowa fan or media member
that’s because you don’t know anything about college football.

Bob

Reaction score
lol okay man

I hope you get that hug from Kirk some day that you are so desperately craving

douglasbader

Reaction score

Come on man, I get that Brian has had growing pains, but to connect that to not seeing him mentioned for a non-Iowa job is dumb.

He isn't mentioned for a non-Iowa job because everyone knows he isn't going anywhere or entertaining any offers. He was pursued hard when he was the OL coach for other jobs and he shut them all down. Everyone knew he was waiting to be the OC and when he became the OC everyone knows he is either waiting to succeed Kirk or isn't interested in any other jobs because he wants to coach with his dad.

Bob

Reaction score

Come on man, I get that Brian has had growing pains, but to connect that to not seeing him mentioned for a non-Iowa job is dumb.

He isn't mentioned for a non-Iowa job because everyone knows he isn't going anywhere or entertaining any offers. He was pursued hard when he was the OL coach for other jobs and he shut them all down. Everyone knew he was waiting to be the OC and when he became the OC everyone knows he is either waiting to succeed Kirk or isn't interested in any other jobs because he wants to coach with his dad.
He was pursued hard for OL coaching jobs, yeah. He was very good at coaching oline! That's not the same as a head coaching job. Usually the guys getting even mid major HC jobs are either coordinating really successful units or are incredible recruiters, and so far he isn't really either of those. That doesn't mean he can't be a good head coach eventually, we'll see what happens.

I agree that there is no real reason for him to want to leave, for what it's worth, I even said that. He doesn't need to to get the job he wants, and if anything it's more likely to hurt his chances at it. The post I was responding to said he and Kirk both really wanted him to be a head coach somewhere else first, so I was working from that premise.

I've pretty much made my peace with him getting the Iowa job and I'll be cautiously optimistic about it. He just wouldn't be one of my first choices

Last edited:

douglasbader

Reaction score

He was pursued hard for OL coaching jobs, yeah. He was very good at coaching oline! That's not the same as a head coaching job. Usually the guys getting even mid major HC jobs are either coordinating really successful units or are incredible recruiters, and so far he isn't really either of those. That doesn't mean he can't be a good head coach eventually, we'll see what happens.

I agree that there is no real reason for him to want to leave, for what it's worth, I even said that. He doesn't need to to get the job he wants, and if anything it's more likely to hurt his chances at it. The post I was responding to said he and Kirk both really wanted him to be a head coach somewhere else first, so I was working from that premise.
Again, he isn't being pursued because he isn't available. Same reason that Phil Parker never really comes up in discussions, and he meets all of your qualifications you laid out.

It is like saying that nobody wanted Pat McCaffery because he only had one other offer ever. Well, he would have had 100+ offers but nobody bothered because they already knew where he was going.

douglasbader

Reaction score
Brian would be an incredibly easy sell. His name, experience as a player, experience in New England as TE coach, his experience at Iowa with OL/TE and all the talent churned out there, and the fact in his 3 years as OC the team has won 8, 9 and 10 games.

That would be more than enough to fill almost any non-Power 5 job.

Bob

Reaction score
Brian would be an incredibly easy sell. His name, experience as a player, experience in New England as TE coach, his experience at Iowa with OL/TE and all the talent churned out there, and the fact in his 3 years as OC the team has won 8, 9 and 10 games.

I mean it does not take that long to look and see where the offenses of those teams rank. Iowa does not exactly have a rep nationally for great offense. I think it's a pretty hard sell aside from the name, and I can name sons of other legendary coaches working in coaching right now who haven't been able to turn their name to a head coaching job, so it isn't necessarily a sure thing

douglasbader

Reaction score

I mean it does not take that long to look and see where the offenses of those teams rank. Iowa does not exactly have a rep nationally for great offense. I think it's a pretty hard sell aside from the name, and I can name sons of other legendary coaches working in coaching right now who haven't been able to turn their name to a head coaching job, so it isn't necessarily a sure thing
For fuck's sake Bob, would they be hiring him as the OC or the Head Coach?

Bob

Reaction score

So you think what a guy does as a coordinator has no impact on his ability to get a head coaching job? Come on. Guys usually move up from coordinator to head coach because they were successful coordinators.

Whatever this is a dumb argument that is not close to the topic of the thread so I'm gonna drop it. He's not actually leaving so it doesn't really matter if he hypothetically could anyway

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
I am not saying that iowa has some great offense but holy shit how hard is it to look at basic tempo adjusted stats and see that they are actually pretty decent? Like upper half in the country. Offense and defense do not happen in a vacuum. One affects the other. You don’t think Brian would look a hell of a lot better in the Big 12?

BuffettHawk

Useless
Reaction score
It’s pretty difficult to be pursued for head coaching jobs when you don’t want to be pursued. Brian isn’t leaving Iowa City unless he’s denied the head coaching position after his dad retires with no possibility of being named head coach in the future. His family is firmly entrenched in Iowa City, and he realizes he has a good thing going.

Thomas Wolsey

Likes Your Post
Reaction score
So you think what a guy does as a coordinator has no impact on his ability to get a head coaching job? Come on. Guys usually move up from coordinator to head coach because they were successful coordinators.

Whatever this is a dumb argument that is not close to the topic of the thread so I'm gonna drop it. He's not actually leaving so it doesn't really matter if he hypothetically could anyway
That is a pretty arbitrary and dumb criteria to use, even if you aren’t using it yourself.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
It’s pretty difficult to be pursued for head coaching jobs when you don’t want to be pursued. Brian isn’t leaving Iowa City unless he’s denied the head coaching position after his dad retires with no possibility of being named head coach in the future. His family is firmly entrenched in Iowa City, and he realizes he has a good thing going.
he has a good thing going, but as the day gets closer he may change his mind. He knows full well that’s it’s in everyone best interest if he can leave and come back if he wants the head coach. He would prefer to be the guy after the guy, that’s coming straight from one of his best friends.

douglasbader

Reaction score
he has a good thing going, but as the day gets closer he may change his mind. He knows full well that’s it’s in everyone best interest if he can leave and come back if he wants the head coach. He would prefer to be the guy after the guy, that’s coming straight from one of his best friends.
He can be the guy after the guy and still be at Iowa.