2021 Football Recruiting

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
It’s pretty difficult to be pursued for head coaching jobs when you don’t want to be pursued. Brian isn’t leaving Iowa City unless he’s denied the head coaching position after his dad retires with no possibility of being named head coach in the future. His family is firmly entrenched in Iowa City, and he realizes he has a good thing going.
he has a good thing going, but as the day gets closer he may change his mind. He knows full well that’s it’s in everyone best interest if he can leave and come back if he wants the head coach. He would prefer to be the guy after the guy, that’s coming straight from one of his best friends.
He can be the guy after the guy and still be at Iowa.
that’s true

BuffettHawk

Useless
Reaction score
So under the scenario where Brian leaves, he does so while his Dad is still coach, and then comes back as HC when his dad retires? Or allow Phil to take over and then come back when Phil retires? There's so many variables there with no guarantee that he eventually gets the HC position -- the most important being Barta retiring at the same time or before Ferentz does and/or he sucks terribly at whatever MAC school he ends up at.

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
So under the scenario where Brian leaves, he does so while his Dad is still coach, and then comes back as HC when his dad retires? Or allow Phil to take over and then come back when Phil retires? There's so many variables there with no guarantee that he eventually gets the HC position -- the most important being Barta retiring at the same time or before Ferentz does and/or he sucks terribly at whatever MAC school he ends up at.
If he really wants to be the head coach at Iowa, leaving for another school and likely mid-major is going to be an incredible risk. He would be much better off staying on as Phil's OC and then taking over when Phil retires.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
I don’t think he’s leaving. Honestly I think Kirk will be here longer than Gary so it’s moot.

BuffettHawk

Useless
Reaction score
If he really wants to be the head coach at Iowa, leaving for another school and likely mid-major is going to be an incredible risk. He would be much better off staying on as Phil's OC and then taking over when Phil retires.
I don’t think he’s leaving. Honestly I think Kirk will be here longer than Gary so it’s moot.
I think we're all on the same page.

Good talk.

Truant

Beta Male Tag-Along-Fuck
Reaction score
It’s pretty difficult to be pursued for head coaching jobs when you don’t want to be pursued. Brian isn’t leaving Iowa City unless he’s denied the head coaching position after his dad retires with no possibility of being named head coach in the future. His family is firmly entrenched in Iowa City, and he realizes he has a good thing going.
His hair stylist is in Iowa City.

HerkyHopeful

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
His hair stylist is in Iowa City.
This is a good post

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
I know it’s only 1 clip without pads on, but Iowa really needs to land Bollers.

Bob

Reaction score
I haven't seen ISU predicted anywhere, wasn't it mostly Nebrantska or Wisconsin?

douglasbader

Reaction score
He isn't coming to Iowa. Dad is pissed that Kirk wouldn't consider him for a job.

HerkyHopeful

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Makes you thankful for the Eppy Epenesas of the world, raising their kid to fucking love Iowa so much he passed up pretty much every school in the nation fairly easily to play at his dream school.

Bollers hopefully will get that Stanford offer and get the fuck out of the midwest if he's not coming here.

douglasbader

Reaction score
This is straight from Gasser by the way....

I know you are incredibly upset about Bollers, but as some of us have been saying for months, he ain’t coming to Iowa. Some kids don’t fit here for a multitude of reasons. We will be okay, I promise.
Not to suck on Gasser's nuts, but given his connection in general to Iowa this sort of direct statement this early would indicate the chances of Bollers at Iowa are roughly zero. His dad doesn't really like Kirk or Brian and they don't like the scheme. TJ wants to go somewhere else. Some other factors as well supposedly.

They will keep recruiting him but sounds like he will end up at Wisconsin.

The Dad

Legitimately bald forever and stupid looking
Reaction score
BBK approved dual threat from the southwest with offers from everyone, seems likely.

HerkyHopeful

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Get that kid on the bus. He's got an attractive offer list.

I saw a tweet that Stanford came to a Bollers basketball game. If he's not coming to Iowa, I'd prefer he GTFO of the area and go be a nerd at Stanford.

douglasbader

Reaction score
That is a good commit. Offers from Kansas State, Minnesota, Indiana, Vanderbilt, Virginia Tech, Iowa State and Nebrantska.

Reaction score
There are a couple 247 Crystal Ball picks in favor of Iowa for Cooper DeJean out of Battle Creek-Ida Grove, even though they don’t show him with an offer yet. Kid looks pretty athletic in his highlights.

Last edited:

eclone

Former VEISHEA Exec Committee Member
Reaction score
Looking at that kid is a really good reminder that these guys are kids. Holy cow he looks 13.
Not many 6’4” 203 pound 13 year olds at my kids middle school

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
Not many 6’4” 203 pound 13 year olds at my kids middle school
When I was in 7th grade at NW Junior High there was an 8th grader that was 6’2” and 310 pounds. They didn’t have football pants big enough for him so they asked West High to borrow a pair. They also didn’t have a pair big enough. So he practiced and played every game with a white helmet, green jersey and gold pants with a black stripe down the sides that they bought from the University of Iowa surplus store.

Jimmie Dimmick

Dog Crap Litterer
Reaction score
When I was in 7th grade at NW Junior High there was an 8th grader that was 6’2” and 310 pounds. They didn’t have football pants big enough for him so they asked West High to borrow a pair. They also didn’t have a pair big enough. So he practiced and played every game with a white helmet, green jersey and gold pants with a black stripe down the sides that they bought from the University of Iowa surplus store.
I was 6’2” in 8th grade.

Still am. It took me 30 years to get that heavy though.

Reaction score
There are a couple 247 Crystal Ball picks in favor of Iowa for Cooper DeJean out of Battle Creek-Ida Grove, even though they don’t show him with an offer yet. Kid looks pretty athletic in his highlights.

Summary of game film: a D1 athlete playing against Iowa 2A competition. It is pretty impressive. Classic guy we look at safety.

Reaction score
PS 2021 may be the recruiting year that causes Campbell to say fuck it I can't sustainably win here and leave Iowa State. He basically offers everyone in Iowa, Wisconsin, Minnesota and Illinois first and then watches as other schools, and in particular Iowa take all of these guys. He is getting skunked in Iowa and is running a distant third considering Nebrantska has gotten 1-2 players each year he offered. In the deepest year for IA HS FB in a decade and maybe ever he is likely not going ot land a single kid in the top 10. All 5 of our in state kids had ISU offers. ISU was also Mboh's first offer. There is a huge ceiling 6'7" DE out of Chicago area (Daine Hanson ) that ISU discovered that we have now offered and looking to like we will get. Arland Bruce a speedy WR/ATH from KC area is the same exact situation. The icing on the cake would be if we can get the QB out of Arizona Thompson. (Brock Purdy's home state!) He has a ton of offers, including probably a conditional one from LSU, but ISU was his first offer and he visited there twice back when he was a sophomore.

The Full Monte

Does Weirdo Fat Guy Shit
Reaction score
For a second, one might assume that these guys all having gotten their first offer from Iowa State means the cyclones are just truly elite talent evaluators

then you remember that they throw out more offers each year than all but 2-3 programs in the country...and it becomes much less impressive

eclone

Former VEISHEA Exec Committee Member
Reaction score

I truly hope that this hat wearing is a one-time bad choice...and not a future style. I don't think I could take my boys seriously if they walked in wearing it like that.