2021 Football Recruiting

Reaction score
Any expected issues here or just waiting to sign for a ceremony or something?
Rivals was writing articles about him signing yesterday. I apparently misremembered, but he is in the signing day awards article that Blair put out this morning. I don't think there is any concern.

I don't recall a year where all the LOIs were in before noon CST. If anything, they came in faster than most years.

Reaction score
That's a likely a wrap for today.

The staff is still pursuing a few potential Feb signees including RB Eli Sanders who is committed to Boise State but didn't sign and ATH Calvin Johnson who is committed to Navy, but didn't sign. Johnson is the second cousin of Brandon Smith.

It's unclear what is happening with Myslinski in regards to Iowa, but he isn't committed anywhere so I assume he will sign somewhere in February.

Reaction score
Scooped.

Gone are the days when most of our OL recruits actually needed 2+ years to develop. The guys coming in are already 6'6 300, 6'6 295, 6'6 295, and 6'5 290

BVHawk95

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
The 2023 OL is going to be monstrous. Just imagine if they're able to swing Myslinski too.

Reaction score
Apropos of nothing, I was just thinking about the recruitment of Iowa’s vaunted defensive line when they were coming out of high school:

VanValkenburg: No D1 offers
Heflin: No D1 offers
Nixon: Was going to NIU until Iowa offered
Golston: No P5 offers other than Iowa

Obviously grades were an issue with Nixon’s lack of offers. But even including rotation guys line Evans and Shannon, only Shannon got major recruiting attention.

FWIW
Peace

HerkyHopeful

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
There's obvious answers for who it's not - Fleck, Frost, Locksley
Very likely not - Harbaugh, James Franklin,
Probably not - Allen, Fitzgerald

So that leaves - Chryst, Lovie, Day, Brohm, Tucker, and Schiano. Chryst, Lovie, Brohm and Tucker likely recruit the same players most often. One of those four.

Orestes

Invisible
Reaction score
There's obvious answers for who it's not - Fleck, Frost, Locksley
Very likely not - Harbaugh, James Franklin,
Probably not - Allen, Fitzgerald

So that leaves - Chryst, Lovie, Day, Brohm, Tucker, and Schiano. Chryst, Lovie, Brohm and Tucker likely recruit the same players most often. One of those four.
Why do you think Allen and Fitzgerald are in the "probably not" camp? I don't follow much outside of Iowa stuff, but I have thought both of those guys are more respectable men. Personal rivalry with Iowa aside, I can see Fitzgerald wanting to recruit in a "clean" manner. Am I way off-base?

HerkyHopeful

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Why do you think Allen and Fitzgerald are in the "probably not" camp? I don't follow much outside of Iowa stuff, but I have thought both of those guys are more respectable men. Personal rivalry with Iowa aside, I can see Fitzgerald wanting to recruit in a "clean" manner. Am I way off-base?
Because they both hate Iowa. And while that doesn't mean they would use it to recruit against Iowa, it also doesn't mean they wouldn't either.

It's just my guess, chill out

thrawn

Reaction score
I feel like Iowa hates more staffs now than they ever have before, but maybe we’re just hearing more.

sergeanthulka

Is Frequently Requested at Local Karaoke Nights
Reaction score
I feel like Iowa hates more staffs now than they ever have before, but maybe we’re just hearing more.
I definitely think there's something to this. I'll list a few factors I think are in play....
-Kirk’s son, Brian Ferentz on staff, increased role, etc
-New Kirk...not sure why, but he seems more ok with coaches talking trash & playing up rivalries
-New coaches with more social media saavy...Kelvin Bell, Austin Barnes, LeVar Woods, Seth Wallace...

Fritz Fequiere

Has a Master's from ISU worth millions
Reaction score
How about Jaden Harrell's dad? Looks like haloman. Maybe adopted?

Stu Beagle

Has Tiny Onions
Reaction score
All college coaches are control freaks. They don’t want what happened at Iowa to become a slippery slope

eclone

Former VEISHEA Exec Committee Member
Reaction score
The talent in the state of Iowa has never been deeper.

(Campbell picked a bad year to have shitty in-state recruiting.)

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
The talent in the state of Iowa has never been deeper.

(Campbell picked a bad year to have shitty in-state recruiting.)
I honestly don't think it mattered.

The only time you see a traditionally lesser school take a step forward with in-state recruiting is usually when the program is not only more successful on the field than they have been in a long time, but also needs the more dominant team to have severely stumbled.

You saw it play out in Michigan where Michigan State took a huge leap forward due to record on field success and record futility by Michigan.

Iowa State could have 3 straight 10 win seasons and they aren't really going to see an uptick in the State of Iowa in competing with Iowa unless they get a rare crop of players that are legacy or life long Iowa State fans or Iowa has instability and sucks.

eclone

Former VEISHEA Exec Committee Member
Reaction score
I honestly don't think it mattered.

The only time you see a traditionally lesser school take a step forward with in-state recruiting is usually when the program is not only more successful on the field than they have been in a long time, but also needs the more dominant team to have severely stumbled.

You saw it play out in Michigan where Michigan State took a huge leap forward due to record on field success and record futility by Michigan.

Iowa State could have 3 straight 10 win seasons and they aren't really going to see an uptick in the State of Iowa in competing with Iowa unless they get a rare crop of players that are legacy or life long Iowa State fans or Iowa has instability and sucks.
I agree with much of that. The last part of kids that grow up ISU fans has been the disappointment. Still a lot more hawk fans around, but it's not near as lopsided as when we were growing up. Was hoping for more kids like Lazard or Downing to start popping up.

cloudhawk

Special
Reaction score
I agree with much of that. The last part of kids that grow up ISU fans has been the disappointment. Still a lot more hawk fans around, but it's not near as lopsided as when we were growing up. Was hoping for more kids like Lazard or Downing to start popping up.
A senior has only seen ISU win 3 times since they were in Kindergarten.

Reaction score
More or less confirmed Indiana was using full on negative recruiting. (beyond what is considered acceptable under the Coaches unwritten code).

rodg12

Might not need to GFH
Reaction score
Did the University put out a web site with all the signees this year?

Reaction score
How about Jaden Harrell's dad? Looks like haloman. Maybe adopted?
Unless I completely have the wrong guy and there was another Harrell, Harrell's bio dad Jonathan was a good player at UNI. All-Gateway linebacker in 2002-3 area. Don't know that he's been involved in Jaden's life.

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
Purdues class is pretty bad. Dead last in the conference.