***2021 Prediction Thread***

How many regular season wins do Hawkeyes get in 2021?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

gable_guy

Reaction score
Let's fire it up.

Number of regular season wins...

Also include your West Division winner in your comments.

USATSI_15307243-scaled-e1627688438876-1200x675-1.jpg

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
It wouldn't be a prediction thread without multiple RATT scenarios, so here we go....

Realistic - could see Iowa dropping one of the first 2 games if not both and then having a repeat of last year where they find their groove and are really good by the end of the year. If Iowa State is ever going to beat Iowa with Campbell, you would think this would be the year.

I voted for 9 wins in the regular season.

Silky Johnson

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
9-3. We lose to at least one of the first two, possibly Penn St, and throw away an infuriating game against someone like NW, but beat Wisconsin as they don’t rebound quite as well as everyone expects them to. We then win the right to lose to OSU on the tiebreaker.

The Full Monte

Does Weirdo Fat Guy Shit
Reaction score
9-3. We lose to at least one of the first two, possibly Penn St, and throw away an infuriating game against someone like NW, but beat Wisconsin as they don’t rebound quite as well as everyone expects them to. We then win the right to lose to OSU on the tiebreaker.
I voted for 9, with this basic logic.

I think some question marks up front on both sides likely prevent the Hawks from being able to start 2-0, Petras has one head scratching WTF game for an unexpected loss and drop one to one of the decent teams.

Thomas Wolsey

Likes Your Post
Reaction score
I voted for 9, with this basic logic.

I think some question marks up front on both sides likely prevent the Hawks from being able to start 2-0, Petras has one head scratching WTF game for an unexpected loss and drop one to one of the decent teams.
The 8.5 over under is really good. I am choosing to lean positive, just not as positive as herky1234.

douglasbader

Reaction score
I wonder if this is the year the QB injury bug finally hits Iowa. The program has only had a starter miss a start due to injury 1 time in the past 11 seasons and only 3 times in the last 16 seasons.

1 start missed in the last 138 games.

douglasbader

Reaction score
3 starts in the last 189 games.

Rudock didn't start against Purdue in 2014.

Stanzi didn't start against Ohio State and Minnesota in 2009.

Reactions: BBK

thrawn

Reaction score
I wonder if this is the year the QB injury bug finally hits Iowa. The program has only had a starter miss a start due to injury 1 time in the past 11 seasons and only 3 times in the last 16 seasons.

1 start missed in the last 138 games.
Would have taken missed starts over the nagging stuff that Tate had his senior year (did miss one start) or CJ had his junior year.

douglasbader

Reaction score
Would have taken missed starts over the nagging stuff that Tate had his senior year (did miss one start) or CJ had his junior year.
Correct. I think this more largely shows that Iowa has an extreme aversion to changing QB's unless their hand is absolutely forced by injury or ultimatums.

With that said, pretty safe to say that barring him being one of the worst Power 5 QB's in the nation again or a freak injury, he is likely Iowa's starter for the next 2 years at a minimum.

WCFHawkeye

actually likes the XFL
Reaction score
9-3. Iowa wins The Western Douche. Gets smoked to Ohio State.

2HawkFans

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
I suck at these things. There isn't a team on the schedule I'm afraid to play. But damn...I see a few we could lose to in the WTF scenario. Get past the first two unscathed and the hype train will be at full throttle.

So might as well go all in. 12-0

BBK

THE GRINGOOOOO
Reaction score
Iowa loses to Indiana in sleepy 11 am kickoffs in mid-October. They ain’t losing in Kinnick next Saturday.
If we win that 1st game against Indiana, which is going to be a very tough team this year, we might have a team that is top 5 in my lifetime.

Kirk's teams almost always start slow and get much better as the season progresses.

Indiana has 19 returning starters from last season, and they were very good in 2020. Sorry, I don't see it.

douglasbader

Reaction score
If we win that 1st game against Indiana, which is going to be a very tough team this year, we might have a team that is top 5 in my lifetime.

Kirk's teams almost always start slow and get much better as the season progresses.

Indiana has 19 returning starters from last season, and they were very good in 2020. Sorry, I don't see it.
I mean.... were they actually very good? I kind of think they are the Big Ten version of Iowa State last year and are going to be way over-hyped coming into this year.

Their best win was a 14-6 game at Wisconsin against that team after it was taken out hard by Covid. The Ohio State loss looks way closer than it was because Ohio State was beating them 28-7 at half and 42-21 going into the 4th quarter when Ohio State took their foot off the gas. It was a lot closer to a blowout than a close game.

They lost to a pretty mediocre Ole' Miss team in the bowl game.

Mostly they got hype because they beat a #8 Penn State team, #23 Michiagan and #16 Wisconsin, but as we saw by the end of the year all of those teams were shitty and not worthy of being ranked at all.

The spaz of a coach that they have at Indiana has done well, but much like Iowa State let's see how they do in a year that wasn't a joke of an exhibition season.

douglasbader

Reaction score
The one thing I will predict about the first game, is the opening is likely something like this....

- Iowa will choose to receive the kickoff.
- 1st down will run stretch zone for 3 yards.
- 2nd down will run for 1 yard
- 3rd down is a safe out route thrown in the dirt
- 4th down is a booming punt

BBK

THE GRINGOOOOO
Reaction score
If we were playing them 8 games into the season, I like Iowa.

Too good, too experienced, and too early.

If we win that game I'll be the first one on my knees at the sculpture park.

douglasbader

Reaction score
If we were playing them 8 games into the season, I like Iowa.

Too good, too experienced, and too early.

If we win that game I'll be the first one on my knees at the sculpture park.
Imagine if we actually win the first 2 games this season. The scene of dozens of oiled up Halo members in the sex pile at Sculpture Park will be incredible.

Hawk&Balls

NOT a member
Reaction score
It'll help that they know they need to come out with their foot on the gas. No sleepwalking to a 10 point win over a shitty MAC team and then go from there

ivan_drago

Fiercely Advocated for Unlimited Transfers
Reaction score
Indiana boat races Ole Piss with Peenux at QB.

Gonna be a great game but I think we’re due for some growing pains on both sides of the ball.

35-28 Hosers.

We beat ISU in Ames though.
LOL. Ole Miss had one of the best offenses in college football last year. Indiana wasn’t “boat racing,” anyone, let alone them. Fuck off. Watch some football.

Reaction score
LOL. Ole Miss had one of the best offenses in college football last year. Indiana wasn’t “boat racing,” anyone, let alone them. Fuck off. Watch some football.
They barely beat an Indiana team w/o their starting QB. I watched the entire game. Indiana’s two turnovers were the difference in the ballgame. This isn’t jogging on a golf course.

ivan_drago

Reaction score
Joggers on a golf course? What are you blabbering about?

I didn’t say Indiana may have well won the game at full strength, but they weren’t “boat racing,” anyone. You said something stupid.

Creed

Wears Adult-Sized Underoos
Reaction score
It was a personal jab at you. You know, cross country running on a golf course? It was super clever.

ivan_drago

Reaction score
It was a personal jab at you. You know, cross country running on a golf course? It was super clever.
Oh! I forgot he watched the entire game. Sort of invalidates everything since I’m in good shape, I guess.

Reaction score

I didn’t say Indiana may have well won the game at full strength, but they weren’t “boat racing,” anyone. You said something stupid.
Kinda weird to have a spastic conniption fit over a minor bowl game opinion. A healthy Indiana team scores 40+ points IMO. They ran up a ton of yards against a much better team in Columbus.

ivan_drago

Reaction score
Kinda weird to have a spastic conniption fit over a minor bowl game opinion. A healthy Indiana team scores 40+ points IMO. They ran up a ton of yards against a much better team in Columbus.
Indiana didn’t score 40 points one single time in 2020.

Shawneemicks

Has said plenty of things dumber than this
Reaction score
Agreed, the quality of the DL will determine whether it is a 7-5 type year or 10-2 type year.

A lot riding on a freshman (Black)