***2022-2023 Iowa Men’s Basketball Season Thread***

snips

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
the good doctor is correct , as usual. 100% depends on the day which iowa team shows up. i'm hoping the shitty team shows up for I am a giant douche tourney.. and the good team (that hits 3s and plays D) shows up for the dance .

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score
the good doctor is correct , as usual. 100% depends on the day which iowa team shows up. i'm hoping the shitty team shows up for I am a giant douche tourney.. and the good team (that hits 3s and plays D) shows up for the dance .
I hope Iowa wins out including the national championship game.

HawkBall23

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Just do one last thing, beat Nebrantska in Carver, and Iowa doesn't start competing in the BTT until a week from tomorrow night.

After losing to EIU & the 0-3 start to the conference season - and all 3 of those losses coming against teams that will either start play on BTT Wednesday or finish just above those spots in the standings - the season outlook was looking really fucking bleak. And then they turn it around to go 12-5 and end up the 2 or 3-seed in the BTT.

Amazing and Frantastic!

Kamala

Isn't Sure About Gasser
Reaction score
Iowa is just mediocre, maybe a little better..When they are on they can play with anyone, and when they are off they can lose to anyone. Lots of teams are that way. There’s no reason to expect them to get to the second weekend, but also wouldn’t be surprised if this was the year they did.

This is what we’re gonna get with Fran’s teams. It’s not terrible, and the games are usually entertaining due to the style. However we are never going to play defense well enough to be reliable in the tournament. We have to hope we luck into a streak of white hot shooting to make a deep run.

We are just not and will not be a national championship contender under Fran. That’s probably not the expectation for a basketball coach at Iowa anyway.

Creed

Wears Adult-Sized Underoos
Reaction score
This is what we’re gonna get with Fran’s teams. It’s not terrible, and the games are usually entertaining due to the style.
I know what your saying, but if it’s Fran’s “style” to give up a million open 3s, have consistently shitty and lazy defense with one of the softest teams in the douche, that’s just as fucking frustrating as a team scoring 65 points a game that plays good defense.

Kamala

Isn't Sure About Gasser
Reaction score
I know what your saying, but if it’s Fran’s “style” to give up a million open 3s, have consistently shitty and lazy defense with one of the softest teams in the douche, that’s just as fucking frustrating as a team scoring 65 points a game that plays good defense.
Agree, it’s just as frustrating. But it’s also more entertaining

hawkeyealum

Subscribes to Playboy for the articles
Reaction score
Iowa is just mediocre, maybe a little better..When they are on they can play with anyone, and when they are off they can lose to anyone. Lots of teams are that way. There’s no reason to expect them to get to the second weekend, but also wouldn’t be surprised if this was the year they did.

This is what we’re gonna get with Fran’s teams. It’s not terrible, and the games are usually entertaining due to the style. However we are never going to play defense well enough to be reliable in the tournament. We have to hope we luck into a streak of white hot shooting to make a deep run.

We are just not and will not be a national championship contender under Fran. That’s probably not the expectation for a basketball coach at Iowa anyway.
while I would like some tournament success, there is something to be said about enjoying most of the basketball season rather than a two week stretch in which the end result will always be the same

jquintana

Refuses to use capital letters
Reaction score
I think Fran fucked this one.

Tony is only good on offense when he has the ball in his hands. That has been obvious since the end of last year. Give him the ball and let him drive, then good things happen. Fran decided to put the ball in Connor's hands. I get he was trying to post up liddle Hoiberg, but that screwed up that the offense in the second half.

Also, Iowa does well when they play through the post. In the second half, they decided that 15 foot jumpers were a good idea. Never a good idea.

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score

Tony is only good on offense when he has the ball in his hands. That has been obvious since the end of last year. Give him the ball and let him drive, then good things happen. Fran decided to put the ball in Connor's hands. I get he was trying to post up liddle Hoiberg, but that screwed up that the offense in the second half.

Also, Iowa does well when they play through the post. In the second half, they decided that 15 foot jumpers were a good idea. Never a good idea.
Not only in the post, but he was handling the ball almost exclusively bringing it up the court and on the perimeter and he just wanted to slow it down and would hold hold hold hold the ball over and over.

Fucked the entire flow up.

Herbie2

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
And even when Connor had him in the post he was looking to pass 90% of the time.

Stu Beagle

Has Tiny Onions
Reaction score
Iowafan being held hostage by our coaches retarded offspring

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
Iowafan being held hostage by our coaches retarded offspring
Supposedly a real possibility he ends up as a grad assistant next year as well. I fucking hope not.

IowaFan needs a clean slate, Connor needs a clean slate, Pat should transfer and get a clean slate and Fran not being distracted by his kids every single practice and game might be nice for everyone.

Reaction score
Supposedly a real possibility he ends up as a grad assistant next year as well. I fucking hope not.

IowaFan needs a clean slate, Connor needs a clean slate, Pat should transfer and get a clean slate and Fran not being distracted by his kids every single practice and game might be nice for everyone.
Connor told reporters that he wants to go somewhere else and learn from new coaches because he’s been around this system his whole life.

Geese

LOVES Chris Williams
Reaction score
It's not the expectation. Getting to one sweet sixteen in over a decade should be though.

KitKatApples

NW Season Ticket Holder (except IA games)
Reaction score
Will have to grind one out against Pitt but it's winnable. Same with Texas.

Billy Butters

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score

I get your point but we just came off a game when Tony scored on 45 back cuts and a bunch of rebounds and put backs. He needs to bring the energy either way but I would rather have the ball in his hands.

BBK

THE GRINGOOOOO
Reaction score
Lunardi has Iowa as a 7 playing Pittsburgh in his most recent bracket, with Texas likely in round 2. That sounds good to me.
Pitt is pretty fuckin good. They might be the best team in the ACC.

Palm dropped Iowa from a 7 to a 9 after losing to Nebrantska.

Houston in round 2

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
Wouldn’t surprise me if Connor ends up at Illinois or wherever Underwood is next year. Maybe Northwestern as well.

Villanova as well.

Hawkstrat

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
"As well," makes it sound like he's going to clone himself.

Probably more of an off season thread thing, but here's a transfer big.

kenos

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
"As well," makes it sound like he's going to clone himself.

Probably more of an off season thread thing, but here's a transfer big.

Seen him a few times.

Not what Fran needs. 6'7" (no way he's 6'8") post scorer/ball stop who is ok from 3. Really built, but kind of slow, can't jump too high, not a rim protector.

But, he's a good kid at an academically demanding school, and since he's an undersized 4 who doesn't really give what the returning roster really needs, of course Fran will land him.

Hawkstrat

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Seen him a few times.

Not what Fran needs. 6'7" (no way he's 6'8") post scorer/ball stop who is ok from 3. Really built, but kind of slow, can't jump too high, not a rim protector.

But, he's a good kid at an academically demanding school, and since he's an undersized 4 who doesn't really give what the returning roster really needs, of course Fran will land him.
Just saw some highlights on YouTube, your summary checks out. Still, wouldn't mind Fran bringing in two bigs.

kenos

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Just saw some highlights on YouTube, your summary checks out. Still, wouldn't mind Fran bringing in two bigs.

If nothing else, it would be awesome to see Mack and Dembele hard-foul-body-slam-sandwich some Nazi fuck from Wisky, just once.

gable_guy

Reaction score
I know it’s bracketology - but latest ESPN one has Iowa in The Metro!