**2022 Iowa Basketball Off-Season Thread**

TurdBurgler

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
If things stay the course, a player like Tyler cook will make well over $1m playing college ball. Way more money out there than anyone appreciated

Hawk&Balls

NOT a member
Reaction score
Any skill improvement Kris might show next year could be completely negated by nba teams for being a year older.

CurdMan

TurdMan DDS
Reaction score
If things stay the course, a player like Tyler cook will make well over $1m playing college ball. Way more money out there than anyone appreciated
Things won’t stay the course. These boosters/companies throwing mega millions at these pools are soon going to get pissy when they realize their money isn’t producing the return they want. It will be bananas for a couple of years and then somewhat come back down to earth IMO. Once these donors realize that the millions they are throwing into the ring is producing the same or similar results to what they’re already accustomed to, the collectives won’t be as large

Shawneemicks

Has said plenty of things dumber than this
Reaction score
Things won’t stay the course. These boosters/companies throwing mega millions at these pools are soon going to get pissy when they realize their money isn’t producing the return they want. It will be bananas for a couple of years and then somewhat come back down to earth IMO. Once these donors realize that the millions they are throwing into the ring is producing the same or similar results to what they’re already accustomed to, the collectives won’t be as large
Wrong

CurdMan

TurdMan DDS
Reaction score
Still a finite number of wins to go around. Theo Akwuba is no better than some other random big man Ole Miss could’ve gotten for far less with same win share increase. Donors just haven’t realized that yet

Hawkstrat

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Not sure the money will dry up, but I do think marginal guys like Theo getting paid will end. Feeding frenzy for top guys though.

CurdMan

TurdMan DDS
Reaction score
Not sure the money will dry up, but I do think marginal guys like Theo getting paid will end. Feeding frenzy for top guys though.
I do agree with the top guys. But I don’t think these people realize how unreliable the recruiting services are after you get past those top end targets

TurdBurgler

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Somebody out there is winning and I bet it will be the teams that spend the most on their rosters. Fooey to this idea that boosters won't see returns.

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
LOL at anyone who thinks high dollar rich donors are looking at any of this rationally.

They don't give a fuck about rational. They have companies where they can just take from the marketing budget and spend every single year on this shit. They can shift their normal donation to the University to NIL collectives.

douglasbader

Reaction score
I do agree with the top guys. But I don’t think these people realize how unreliable the recruiting services are after you get past those top end targets
It isn't about the high schoolers, it is about now enticing known commodity transfers.

KitKatApples

NW Season Ticket Holder (except IA games)
Reaction score
This place would have nine posts at best without that

CurdMan

TurdMan DDS
Reaction score
It isn't about the high schoolers, it is about now enticing known commodity transfers.
This is true. But in time guys like Theo Akwuba probably aren’t getting 6 (7?) figure deals. Hell, basketball is tame compared to football right now.

And I agree about donors acting rational, but it’s not going to take them long to realize that Ole Miss is still performing like Ole Miss even with their millions of dollars going into NIL. In time they’ll realize that there’s no return unless you’re getting top end talent.

Reaction score
which is why iowa 2nd round picks weiskamp and cook came back to school. sure.

I have a hard time believing that a 21-year old kris would come back if he ended up 2nd round. free agent in g-league. there's no NIL to keep him in iowa city and his possible path to the nba at that age might be a tad better playing g-league.

yes, I got a couple of details wrong. I'm standing by the big picture that if he's 2nd, he doesn't go back to college. 18, 19 years old, different deal.
Leistikow said last week that he’s been hearing Kris is turning down workouts with teams and his agent is telling them that he’s likely going back to Iowa. TBD on actually doing stuff at the combine.

douglasbader

Reaction score
Leistikow said last week that he’s been hearing Kris is turning down workouts with teams and his agent is telling them that he’s likely going back to Iowa. TBD on actually doing stuff at the combine.
Yeah, but what about overseas and a 10 day???????

Herbie2

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
You might want to re-read the whole conversation. That WOOSH sound you hear going over your head (and Joggers) is not an accident....
I did read the conversation and saw where you highlighted the 10 day contract portion as if that is some outlandish possibility, which is odd.

douglasbader

Reaction score
I did read the conversation and saw where you highlighted the 10 day contract portion as of that is some outlandish possibility, which is odd.
Holy shit. No, I didn't highlight the 10 day contract portion as some outlandish possibility.

I'm making fun of the poster because he is bringing up things that are mostly a decade or more old talking points on the NBA draft. Nobody talks about overseas or 10 day contracts when it comes to the NBA draft in 2022. Everything is about getting a 2 way deal or an early second round pick with a guaranteed 2-3 year deal.

Europe, 10 day contracts, and similar is something that a person who clearly has zero clue about the modern NBA and G-League would say.

Hope this helps, Herbie2.

douglasbader

Reaction score
Kris got an invite to the NBA Draft Combine in Chicago next week.

Reaction score
Well hindsights 20/20 and all. It was obvious from any mild analysis of statistics that Fran under utilized Kris to the benefit of primarily patrick m. Critics might describe patrick as a one dimensional chucker. Yes kris fouled a lot, but some of that seems likely to have been due to forced to play the 5, because coaches sons were playing the forward positions. I would be absolutely shocked if this wasnt used against fran in recruiting. Sad.

I just wanted to note the above one last time. Onwards!

TJones3312

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Well hindsights 20/20 and all. It was obvious from any mild analysis of statistics that Fran under utilized Kris to the benefit of primarily patrick m. Critics might describe patrick as a one dimensional chucker. Yes kris fouled a lot, but some of that seems likely to have been due to forced to play the 5, because coaches sons were playing the forward positions. I would be absolutely shocked if this wasnt used against fran in recruiting. Sad.

K

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score

Kris committed 5.6 fouls per 40 minutes, as you acknowledge. But LOL that it was because the 'coach's son was playing the 4'. It was because all of the other options at the 5 fucking sucked.

What did you want to see, more Big Josh? Maybe some Riley Mulvey? Or how about Patrick McCaffery at the 5, since you believe those two situations are interchangeable?

Shawneemicks

Has said plenty of things dumber than this
Reaction score
I’d like to see Pat at the five. Would be good for a solid chuckle