***2023-2024 Iowa Men’s Basketball Season Thread***

Hawk_Kegmasters

Saw Spice World in Theaters
Reaction score
dude, you cannot just combine schools from different classes. And your school and Glen’s school might as well be different planets lol
I don’t know what classes or schools dudes played. Was just taking Herbie’s word for it that Glen was 3A.

Alan Lomax

has listened to a podcast about this thread.
Reaction score
Watching these games, it’s been said countless times over the years. Iowa has zero chance to compete with this physicality. Zero.

snips

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
certainly appears as if having a strong , physical defense provides an advantage

Revolver

Will Ruin Your Thread and Crush Your Dreams
Reaction score
Watching these games, it’s been said countless times over the years. Iowa has zero chance to compete with this physicality. Zero.
Iowa did compete at Creighton with this team. Same at Illinois.

I understand what you are saying and there is some merit, but blanket statements like this tend to be extreme. That Iowa team in Keegan’s sophomore year had the goods to make a run and it didn’t happen. With so much luck involved in these win or go home games it is hard to look at things in black and white.

Reaction score
But also it makes no sense to say “zero chance to compete with this physicality” when the Big Ten is 1A or 1B in physicality nationally. Iowa has had several games where they’ve been punked but also several wins over supremely physical teams in being 4th-5th or whatever over the last decade.

They need to be tougher, more athletic and better defensively. It’s still stupid. In the tournament they mostly just lost to better teams as lower seeds. Richmond they just played like shit and didn’t score. They weren’t supremely physical. Much less physical than the Cincinnati team they beat.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
Doug can you please come back to the thread you started on TOS and provide further updates?

Lee Beevers

They/Them
Reaction score
I will not DMOFR but I seem to recall a horrendous call on Kris Murray? Shooting a 3 in the Richmond game which swung the game. At least it feels that way!!!! Iowa had no business losing that game, and I really think they coulda beat Providence next. Oh well.

Kamala

Isn't Sure About Gasser
Reaction score
I will not DMOFR but I seem to recall a horrendous call on Kris Murray? Shooting a 3 in the Richmond game which swung the game. At least it feels that way!!!! Iowa had no business losing that game, and I really think they coulda beat Providence next. Oh well.
Probably shouldn’t have been in a position where a bad call is gonna cause you to lose to a 12 seed from a mid major.

Alan Lomax

Reaction score
Probably shouldn’t have been in a position where a bad call is gonna cause you to lose to a 12 seed from a mid major.
They just keep losing to double digit seeds, it’s mostly just randomness and bad luck though, so things should carry on as is. “They need to get better on defense, but…” is essentially saying this is fine. It’s been ten fucking years of saying “they need to get better on defense, but…” Fran can’t do it. They’ll never be serious contenders. As a two seed they won’t be serious contenders because their system is weakness.

Lee Beevers

They/Them
Reaction score
They just keep losing to double digit seeds, it’s mostly just randomness and bad luck though, so things should carry on as is. “They need to get better on defense, but…” is essentially saying this is fine. It’s been ten fucking years of saying “they need to get better on defense, but…” Fran can’t do it. They’ll never be serious contenders. As a two seed they won’t be serious contenders because their system is weakness.
I think Fran has lost to a double digit seed once in 15 years now.

Lee Beevers

They/Them
Reaction score
You retards ignore my other portion which read “Iowa had no business losing that game”

Alan Lomax

Reaction score
The lack of any sort of overt pressure on Fran pisses me off at this point. He’s not just going to suddenly start coaching defense. Being moderately successful isn’t a birthright to coach at Iowa until you feel like being done. His portal performance has been terrible.

Alan Lomax

Reaction score
For someone who spends a lot of time trying to learn, you’re really dumb when it comes to sports.
That thought should give you more than a little pause.

Perhaps I’m misunderstanding your point, but it seems to be “this is basically fine, iowa competes well enough, enough of the time. This is fine, the risk to change is too much.” And please correct me if that’s incorrect.

My point is that Fran has been pretty good. But Iowa needs a different coach and new program that cares about defense and rebounding because Fran has proven to be unable to do that. And that will give them the best chance at success on court.

Alan Lomax

Reaction score
And sorry I wasn’t compelled by your case that when Iowa wins or plays close to “tougher” teams that proves they’re fine. While when they lose to teams that proves randomness and luck play a part. I just have results to depend on, and they haven’t been there over a LONG time. Unless you think their tournament performance is fine. I mean it took Dean Smith’s twentieth season for them to win the title. Maybe breaking to sweet 16’s is the same at Iowa. I don’t think so, maybe you do.

Reaction score
That thought should give you more than a little pause.

Perhaps I’m misunderstanding your point, but it seems to be “this is basically fine, iowa competes well enough, enough of the time. This is fine, the risk to change is too much.” And please correct me if that’s incorrect.

My point is that Fran has been pretty good. But Iowa needs a different coach and new program that cares about defense and rebounding because Fran has proven to be unable to do that. And that will give them the best chance at success on court.
No one is saying the things you’re claiming they say. Basically everyone here would be fine with a change. Some want him fired. A lot of us realize that they shouldn’t and aren’t going to fire a coach who missed the tournament for the first time in 6 years (one of 8 teams in the country) and has been somewhere around 4th in the Big Ten in a variety of categories for a decade. Something like 3rd most upper division finishes, somewhere around 4th in tournaments, win percentage, etc.

They rank bottom 1/3 of the league in NIL and are in the bottom 1/3 in budget and salary. Given the circumstances, he’s done a really good job in the regular season. Also, he missed golden opportunities with studs in the postseason and have laid an egg in many big moments. It feels stale and fans are apathetic.

Tournament runs are often about luck and randomness as evidenced by every fucking tournament ever. Go look at any of those NC State posts. Our drawing Oregon that was under seeded by 2 lines and got the only bye in like 40 years. That doesn’t mean it’s ALL random/luck and they haven’t made their own bed often.

There. Now stop making up stupid shit that no one is saying. And getting facts all wrong. And making sweeping declarations after you decide to watch 5 minutes of a game for the first time all year.

Alan Lomax

Reaction score
No one is saying the things you’re claiming they say. Basically everyone here would be fine with a change. Some want him fired. A lot of us realize that they shouldn’t and aren’t going to fire a coach who missed the tournament for the first time in 6 years (one of 8 teams in the country) and has been somewhere around 4th in the Big Ten in a variety of categories for a decade. Something like 3rd most upper division finishes, somewhere around 4th in tournaments, win percentage, etc.

They rank bottom 1/3 of the league in NIL and are in the bottom 1/3 in budget and salary. Given the circumstances, he’s done a really good job in the regular season. Also, he missed golden opportunities with studs in the postseason and have laid an egg in many big moments. It feels stale and fans are apathetic.

Tournament runs are often about luck and randomness as evidenced by every fucking tournament ever. Go look at any of those NC State posts. Our drawing Oregon that was under seeded by 2 lines and got the only bye in like 40 years. That doesn’t mean it’s ALL random/luck and they haven’t made their own bed often.

There. Now stop making up stupid shit that no one is saying. And getting facts all wrong. And making sweeping declarations after you decide to watch 5 minutes of a game for the first time all year.
I accept your white flag of surrender.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
The lack of any sort of overt pressure on Fran pisses me off at this point. He’s not just going to suddenly start coaching defense. Being moderately successful isn’t a birthright to coach at Iowa until you feel like being done. His portal performance has been terrible.
why would there be pressure? The fans don’t really care. They just bitch online.

Alan Lomax

Reaction score

Also, I’m not talking to “us” I’m talking to you. I think Iowa’s results haven’t been there as shown by the tournament. I appreciate that the regular seasons have been good. I think a new coach will handle nil better, and think giving a shit about defense matters, especially in March when even the announcers joke how physical the college game is. You think something different. Or it’s the same, I can’t quite tell. I guess I didn’t watch enough games to be able to tell something obvious. Or maybe I did.

Thomas Wolsey

Likes Your Post
Reaction score
It’s hard to tell if NIL is a permanent issue, or if boosters have hated our last 3 coaches.

Alan Lomax

Reaction score
I don’t want Fran fired but I do want him to move on/retire.
That’s a reasonable position. I think he should be fired because I think he’s made clear he’s not changing. I didn’t know that was sooooooo controversial.

hawkeyealum

Subscribes to Playboy for the articles
Reaction score
That’s a reasonable position. I think he should be fired because I think he’s made clear he’s not changing. I didn’t know that was sooooooo controversial.
There’s also no evidence anyone has held him accountable for changes either. An elite defense assistant would go a long ways.

I largely hate the type of players he recruits but you can’t argue with offensive metrics. It is a broken record to suggest if they could only marginally improve defensively they would be fine but there is also no evidence to suggest that’s happening either.

Alan Lomax

Reaction score
There’s also no evidence anyone has held him accountable for changes either. An elite defense assistant would go a long ways.

I largely hate the type of players he recruits but you can’t argue with offensive metrics. It is a broken record to suggest if they could only marginally improve defensively they would be fine but there is also no evidence to suggest that’s happening either.
It’s the same with Brian as offensive coordinator in football. They AREN’T CHANGING and NEED to be forced too.

Alan Lomax

Reaction score
But I probably needed to watch more games and study more metrics to see that as true. I didn’t earn the right to see the truth.

WCFHawkeye

actually likes the XFL
Reaction score
But he could be fired for the 2 foul rule. Thats reasonable
It is terrible. Caitlin Clark had 2 fouls today early in the 2nd quarter. She largely stayed in the game, got 6 or 8 points, and largely productive the rest of the quarter.

She finished the game with 3 fouls over 36 minutes.

Fran would have had her benched the last 8 minutes or so of the first half/second quarter.