***2023-2024 Iowa Women's Basketball Season Thread***

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
I would never have guessed that high. That’s an insane number. I’m not sure it can be beaten.
Sure it can. If the championship game is undefeated South Carolina vs. Iowa this Sunday on ABC, it can fucking smash that number. 17m+ is possible.

newsbreaker

Got the top grade in his torts class
Reaction score
Sure it can. If the championship game is undefeated South Carolina vs. Iowa this Sunday on ABC, it can fucking smash that number. 17m+ is possible.
It probably does. She’s into legitimate cultural phenomenon territory now.

Herbie2

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
No way it would be less than 20 when you factor in ABC, title game, Clark's last game, etc.

douglasbader

Reaction score
It probably does. She’s into legitimate cultural phenomenon territory now.
Once we've crossed into the meme/tik tok zeitgeist territory, there seems to be an exponential take off phenomenon that happens. I'm likely lowballing that 17m+ as well, could easily go 20m+ on Sunday if that is the matchup.

I'm seeing it with movies post-pandemic as well. If something is meme'd easily and it hits tik tok and social in general, there is this really visible ramp up in growth of what something can be. The best example is Minons / Barbie / Oppenheimer and on a smaller scale it happened with Dune: Part Two earlier this month.

douglasbader

Reaction score
And guaranteed Clark's last college game, it would draw yuge numbers.
NCAA Championship
Caitlin Clark's final game
Rematch of last year's Final Four
Undefeated juggernaut South Carolina looking for revenge
Possible racial undertones (though not nearly what LSU was)
Sunday. ABC late afternoon.

All of it. It's all there for a 20m+ audience and very likely the biggest game in the history (possibly for all time now and forever) in women's college basketball.

newsbreaker

Reaction score
Once we've crossed into the meme/tik tok zeitgeist territory, there seems to be an exponential take off phenomenon that happens. I'm likely lowballing that 17m+ as well, could easily go 20m+ on Sunday if that is the matchup.

I'm seeing it with movies post-pandemic as well. If something is meme'd easily and it hits tik tok and social in general, there is this really visible ramp up in growth of what something can be. The best example is Minons / Barbie / Oppenheimer and on a smaller scale it happened with Dune: Part Two earlier this month.
You’re right. It’s amazing.

I had several different people, none from Iowa, randomly talking about Clark and Iowa at work today. It’s THE national story right now. It might well be THE sports story of the entire year.

She’s going to be the most famous person alive during the Olympics.

douglasbader

Reaction score
It looks like other than FIFA World Cup soccer it would be the biggest single game in women's sports history if it gets 20m+ viewers.

FIFIA World Cup for women in 2023 had 38.3m viewers.

douglasbader

Reaction score
FIFA World Cup 1999 at the Rose Bowl had 40m+ viewers on ABC.

Reaction score
See you there. My daughters went nuts when I told them after the game tonight.

I’m also sooooo glad I bought these tickets Saturday night, because LOL at the prices now.
Another bonus for those of you headed to Cleveland is that it is in the path of totality for the eclipse on 4/8 (Monday at like 3 pm est)

iowa4ever20

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Another bonus for those of you headed to Cleveland is that it is in the path of totality for the eclipse on 4/8 (Monday at like 3 pm est)
That will not be a bonus for anyone trying to drive back to Iowa on Monday. Traffic will be a disaster that day for any areas in the path.

newsbreaker

Reaction score
It appears, there many only have been three or so Iowa FOOTBALL games with larger audiences.

snips

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
does anybody understand what the hell any of that means?
'all that rah-rah never was the icon issue'... huh?

Vacations at the Wisconsin Dells
Reaction score
Two days after LSU lost to Iowa, the fanbase is still after big black proud and beautiful Angel Reese!!! Not a good look, fellas.

Fletch

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Two days after LSU lost to Iowa, the fanbase is still after big black proud and beautiful Angel Reese!!! Not a good look, fellas.
Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!! Xoxoxoxo