***2023 Iowa Football offseason thread***

Kamala

Isn't Sure About Gasser
Reaction score
I'm sure @douglasbader will come back like a tornado and create all kids of diversion from the fact that he's perpetuated the spread of misleading info. I'm sure his latest stalker story will be good too.
He will be back to tell uswhy it’s actually good Kirk’s son, Brian Ferentz is the OC, and we are stupid IowaFan for wanting him gone. And he will have legitimately convinced himself that it’s true.

Revolver

Will Ruin Your Thread and Crush Your Dreams
Reaction score
Someone create a Rob Thein alt and see if that does the trick.

Reaction score
Kind of giving it short shrift. That same line you are referencing was lightly-recruited garbage just two years prior. And I'm hard pressed to think of an Iowa OL better than the '02 OL.
Well, I'm not saying Joe didn't do an outstanding job. But he was (shockingly!) criticized for two years when he didn't have the horses. The genius of 2002 wasn't a dummy two years before. I maintain Reese Morgan or 2012 Kirk’s son, Brian Ferentz would have had the same success in 2002.

Porter, Steinbach and Lightfoot were well regarded recruits. Steinbach had to gain 60 pounds, of course. Gallery was pretty unknown, but he was always going to be a physical freak. Nelson was always a good player; he just had to gain 75 pounds.

Morgan was ripped pretty good on Rivals his first couple of years. He had committed the unpardonable sin of losing four veteran starters, in addition to his line playing with a much lesser skill group. Later on Brian was ripped (nepotism!) when he had the misfortune of taking over when the offensive personnel was bad and he lost his best player and another starter.

Gushawk

Likely a Russian Bot Account
Reaction score
I can’t tell whether Chip is white knighting Brian’s tenure as OC or something else

Alan Lomax

has listened to a podcast about this thread.
Reaction score
I can’t tell whether Chip is white knighting Brian’s tenure as OC or something else
I think it’s more “coaching is a crapshoot to a certain extent.” So making Philbin some sort of savant is incorrect. There’s a mix of “right place right time” and “coaching skill”

MisterFalcon

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
I get it but he’s also well known for his complete lack of QB development
Checks notes -- Oh, Kirk’s son, Brian Ferentz is Iowa's current quarterbacks coach.

Lest we forget how horrible Iowa's offense was in 2022, they were 130 of 131 teams at 251 yards per game. Miami was 86th at 367 yards per game. My guess is Josh Gattis is superior to what we'll end up with at Iowa.

Kamala

Isn't Sure About Gasser
Reaction score
I don’t want anybody who is going to make Kirk think “yep, now we can do it exactly the same way we did it in 2002”.

wondergrape

Has Bad Hair
Reaction score
Not going to lie, I have been confusing Josh Gattis with Adam Gettis throughout this entire process.

Things make more sense after a little investigation.

Alan Lomax

has listened to a podcast about this thread.
Reaction score
I'm just shocked other teams are making coaching changes this late in January.

Hawkeye_Pierce

May Have Fondled a Tranny
Reaction score
sure, but at this point Brian the Failure has plenty of responsibility for that as well
The 'lack of talent' thing rings a little hollow. Sure, an injury can fuck things up and is outside of a coach's control but if there's a talent deficit, that's an issue with recruiting and development. Oh, and talent evaluation. These dumb twats didn't see any issue with Spencer. In fact, they thought he was terrific. Just needed clean up a few things.