***2023 Iowa Football offseason thread***

Hawk24

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Shocking that the U of I doesn't want to waste time with the same writers who went full dipshit on this very same case.
Chad wasn't one of those writers. And if you've ever spent any time around the guy who functions as the President's chief of staff, that response to Chad has his tone deaf fuck you attitude written all over it.

KitKatApples

NW Season Ticket Holder (except IA games)
Reaction score
I feel like they've been advised or told not to talk about it

LifelongHawk

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
Look folks, the AG settled because of risk, plain and simple.

I didn't want em to settle, and was hoping for vindication, but the law firm investigation showed that there was indeed risk of loss. If they lost at trial the damages for attorney's fees alone probably start at 4 mil.

KitKatApples

Reaction score
So as long as you ask for less than it would cost to go to court you'll get paid. I bet that's the last of these we see.

newsbreaker

Got the top grade in his torts class
Reaction score
The clang like cymbals type of candidate I’d prefer might actually have a better chance with Qim involved. I don’t have much faith in the typical bureaucratic process yielding an AD with much heft and gravitas.
The department might as well run itself. The revenue is overwhelmingly coming from the conference. Attendance is almost entirely a function of team success, which he has slightly less than nothing to do with. Kinnick and Carver are effectively "done" for a while.

The only place the AD really matters at this point is hiring/firing coaches, and I don't know what I particularly want Barta deciding who is next in either of the two big positions.

HerkyHopeful

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
The department might as well run itself. The revenue is overwhelmingly coming from the conference. Attendance is almost entirely a function of team success, which he has slightly less than nothing to do with. Kinnick and Carver are effectively "done" for a while.

The only place the AD really matters at this point is hiring/firing coaches, and I don't know what I particularly want Barta deciding who is next in either of the two big positions.
I tend to agree. While he nailed the baseball hire, he's 1/2 on basketball and effectively destroyed the program with his first decision. Can't afford to let snaggle tooth fuck up a football hire.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
I tend to agree. While he nailed the baseball hire, he's 1/2 on basketball and effectively destroyed the program with his first decision. Can't afford to let snaggle tooth fuck up a football hire.
three years of The Criminal. 13 years of Fran.

Gives Barta a 1/2

perfect iowa fan logic

Gushawk

Likely a Russian Bot Account
Reaction score
Yeah, I’m sure 0 fer the Sweet 16 in Garta’s entire tenure is a rousing defense of his greatness in your view.

Gushawk

Likely a Russian Bot Account
Reaction score
How many other Big Ten schools haven’t made the round of 16 during Gary Barta’s tenure? Fewer than half of them, I’m guessing

KitKatApples

Reaction score
Given the big ten’s performance in the tournament I’d say for sure half in that timeframe

Stu Beagle

Has Tiny Onions
Reaction score
Compare Iowa basketball to the rest of the douche over the last 20+ years and they fall almost exactly in the middle

6deuce

Reformed Fatass
Reaction score
How many other Big Ten schools haven’t made the round of 16 during Gary Barta’s tenure? Fewer than half of them, I’m guessing
In DMOFR I see that 6 schools have not been to the sweet 16 in Fran's tenure at Iowa
Iowa
Rutgers
Child Rape U
Minnesota
Northwestern
Illinois

Illinois was surprising to me.

My investigative journalism is second to none so there is no need to check my work here.

JamesMouton

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
I am a giant douche Teams Last Sweet 16:

Michigan: 2022
Purdue: 2022
Michigan State: 2019 (Final Four)
Wisconsin: 2017
Maryland: 2016
Indiana: 2016
Ohio State: 2013 (Elite 8)
Illinois: 2005 (National Runner Up)
Penn State: 2001
Iowa: 1999
Minnesota: 1997 (Final Four)
Rutgers: 1979?
Nebrantska: Never
Northwestern: Never

I think instead of measuring Sweet 16's it is better to look at 5 straight years for Iowa making the NCAA Tournament and 3 of those five would be 5/6 seed or better (assuming a tournament in 2020).

neshawk

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Yeah, but iowa basketball does things the right way, according to Barta.

HerkyHopeful

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
In DMOFR I see that 6 schools have not been to the sweet 16 in Fran's tenure at Iowa
Iowa
Rutgers
Child Rape U
Minnesota
Northwestern
Illinois

Illinois was surprising to me.

My investigative journalism is second to none so there is no need to check my work here.
JFC Fran

KitKatApples

Reaction score
I am a giant douche Teams Last Sweet 16:

Michigan: 2022
Purdue: 2022
Michigan State: 2019 (Final Four)
Wisconsin: 2017
Maryland: 2016
Indiana: 2016
Ohio State: 2013 (Elite 8)
Illinois: 2005 (National Runner Up)
Penn State: 2001
Iowa: 1999
Minnesota: 1997 (Final Four)
Rutgers: 1979?
Nebrantska: Never
Northwestern: Never

I think instead of measuring Sweet 16's it is better to look at 5 straight years for Iowa making the NCAA Tournament and 3 of those five would be 5/6 seed or better (assuming a tournament in 2020).
Man Penn ST is 2 years more recent than Iowa. I forgot about that OSU team going to the elite 8. How the fuck have we not just gotten lucky one fucking time

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
Man Penn ST is 2 years more recent than Iowa. I forgot about that OSU team going to the elite 8. How the fuck have we not just gotten lucky one fucking time
It is a statistical outlier, nothing more. It is not because Fran yells or because we don’t lift weights or because we are white.

We didn’t need to get lucky; we needed to not be unlucky.